Join Early Retirement Today

took some pics site of 64 worlds fair
Old 06-22-2008, 02:41 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

took some pics site of 64 worlds fair

this past weekend we hopped over to flushing meadow park the site of the 64 worlds fair for some picture taking. havent been there in a while even though our ny home is 10 minutes away. brought back soooo many memories of the fair even though it was can you believe it 44 years ago. man i was 12

threw in some flowers too we took pics of, couldnt resist

Picasa Web Albums - marilyn - FLUSHING MEAD...
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

My brother took me there shortly after I arrived in the US. To me it was mind boggling, and fascinating.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:07 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Thanks for the trip down memory lane .We went there on a class trip !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I was there; can't say I remember much of it.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I think I went about 8 times (age 11).

I'd love to go see the views of the future exhibits and compare them with life today. Ditto the revolving theater exhibit for the future.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i was 7. i still remember the mechanical dog in the carousel of progress. of course i found a picture on the sometimes questioned but always all-knowing wiki.

also i remember watching the numbers grow on the world population clock. population growth has bugged me ever since.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:02 PM   #7

I still have a picture of DW and I sitting at the edge of the Unisphere from 41 years ago.

As a kid I went one time with my parents, it was about a 10 mile trip from our house.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Come one come all to Expo 67 Montreal".

I was 24 and had my whole life ahead of me.

Hadn't met Mrs. Zipper yet.

One pavillion was showing some kind of medical operation.

Had been into the Molson Canadian the night before and not eaten much the next day.

My buddy said I dropped like a "sack of potatoes", when the blood and guts came on screen.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper View Post

I was 24 and had my whole life ahead of me.

Hadn't met Mrs. Zipper yet.
I went to that one also.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
I went to Expo 67 Montreal (I was 16 at the time), the Nashville World's Fair in 1982 and the New Orleans World Fair in 1984.

I was most impressed by Expo 67 -- the other two seemed sort of "ho hum" in comparison.

Checking wiki List of world's fairs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, it appears as though, for whatever reason, some of the more recent world fairs have been canceled. Perhaps the rise in global trade and communications have sort of obviated the 'need' for a worlds fair? Dunno.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
I went to Expo 67 Montreal (I was 16 at the time), the Nashville World's Fair in 1982 and the New Orleans World Fair in 1984.
Hey, I went to the 1982 Nashville World's Fair, too. Don't really remember it, though, since I was 8.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
also i remember watching the numbers grow on the world population clock. population growth has bugged me ever since.
Same here. The population clock then was 3.27 billion. It is now 6.7 billion -- doubled. I wonder what the world would be like if we had kept it at 3.27 billion.

It was actually an issue du jour back then, but now few people associate environmental problems or oil shortages with overpopulation.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
i was 7. i still remember the mechanical dog in the carousel of progress. of course i found a picture on the sometimes questioned but always all-knowing wiki.
Funny story about the Carousel of Progress (which is currently at Walt Disney World, BTW). We were in it at WDW, and watched the first segment. The seats started to rotate to the next scene but abruptly stopped. Until they fixed it, since it was on a timer, we got to enjoy the first segment 6 more times!
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

1962 - the last living Beatnik(remember them) - a distant cousin from Michigan, up from Frisco, worked the Seattle Worlds Fair in a mask booth - did the eyes/nose area after casting - said it was actually harder than coffee house murals but the pay was more reliable - in his old age is now a retired auto worker and part time preacher.

Did a sketch of me and my dog - I didn't think he was that good.

We did actually go to the 1984 New Orleans World's Fair. Had a friend who got us a sail on a tugatine - aka The Norfolk Rebel before it tied up near the Viking boat on the Mississippi. I loved the Canadian Imax.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Hey, I went to the 1982 Nashville World's Fair, too. Don't really remember it, though, since I was 8.
Good reason not to remember much of the 1982 Nashville Worlds Fair. It was held in Knoxville. The Nashville Worlds Fair was in 1897, a little before our time.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
Good reason not to remember much of the 1982 Nashville Worlds Fair. It was held in Knoxville. The Nashville Worlds Fair was in 1897, a little before our time.

Ayup. That'd make me, what, 119? And still not FIREd?
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Same here. The population clock then was 3.27 billion. It is now 6.7 billion -- doubled. I wonder what the world would be like if we had kept it at 3.27 billion.

It was actually an issue du jour back then, but now few people associate environmental problems or oil shortages with overpopulation.
i might be wrong but i seem to remember that, maybe not oil specifically, but the environment generally was the issue with overpopulation back then. i was a member of the school environmental club from when i was a little kid. i remember collecting glass to recycle and separating the clear from the colored glass. we used to clean up the garbage from the local creek where we used to catch killies.

"zero population growth" made so much sense to me even then as a little kid. now, it makes it difficult for me to take seriously what i see as futile efforts to save a little oil by driving slower or any of that nonsense. if people really wanted to make a difference into the far future for their children, they'd simply have less of them. but they are too selfish to give that up. and so instead of addressing the real issue, they divert attention to what makes little difference in the overpopulated scheme of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie View Post
Funny story about the Carousel of Progress (which is currently at Walt Disney World, BTW). We were in it at WDW, and watched the first segment. The seats started to rotate to the next scene but abruptly stopped. Until they fixed it, since it was on a timer, we got to enjoy the first segment 6 more times!
speaking of disney, we once got stuck in the pirates of the caribbean ride right were all the cannons where going off in the water. we made the best of it.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Google Paul Ehrlich, author of "The Population Bomb".

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #19

Nice photos. Thank you for sharing. I grew up nearby and used to take the train to Shea.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
speaking of disney, we once got stuck in the pirates of the caribbean ride right were all the cannons where going off in the water. we made the best of it.
Orthogonal to the thread but tangential to this... my little sister (well, she's 22) hates the small world ride. We all went to DW this January and, of course, we all went on the small world ride We were stuck for 10 minutes in the chorus part of the ride, right at the end. I got most of the people in the boats around us to sing along through the wait. It was awesome.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote