Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Good looking guy, living in France, secure enough to wear a kilt....what's not to like?
Yes indeed!

Thanks for posting the photo Nick...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good looking guys don't do a thing for me. To me the Kilt doesn't enhance the look.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #23

To each his own. For me, I figure that my relatives knew what they were doing if they found kilts stylish and useful when they were running around warring with the english and irish and whatnot, but left it behind after they came to this country to fight indians and frenchmen.

Besides that, around here I'd be afeared that a Texas red-bomber wasp might decide to fly up near things I prefer not to get stung.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

BigNick, I think you look kinda cute in your kilt!

Obviously a hit with les dames.

I would like to know if it's all a void underneath, or is it like a pair of really baggy shorts.

The FAQ on that website is hilarious!

What is normal wear and tear?

After much deliberation and several whiskey sours, we were able to come up with some things you probably shouldn’t do to your kilt. In fact, consider this your Official Warning. Should you choose to ignore our advice, don’t pull similar shite and then ring Krash to complain, because he’ll probably just tell you “I told you so.” So here goes:
• your cat just had a litter of kittens in your left cargo pocket…
• you forgot to take the two boxes of Sharpies our of your cargo pockets before washing… • your girlfriend thought your kilt needed some rhinestones…
• the repairs you made yourself with dental floss start to fray…
• in a colossal case of misjudgment, you decide to wear your tie dyed Utilikilt* to Big Earl’s Tractor Pull in Jemison, Alabama, while wearing your **** BUSH t-shirt…
• you found your way into a bleach factory after hours and decided to have a quick game of Ultimate Frisbee…
• you were stupid enough to try and jump the burning embers of the Burning Man…
• you decided to hit on the cute girlfriend of the Shanghai Muay Thai Kickboxing Champion…
• you had freaky-deaky carnival sex in it and it is no longer right in the eyes of… Okay, really….Just don’t. He doesn’t want to hear that.

Frequently Asked Questions - UTILIKILTS
Old 09-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
BigNick, I think you look kinda cute in your kilt!

Me too !
Old 09-28-2010, 08:49 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I don't know Nick, seems the ladies like you in a skirt. I sorta think you look like you should be pushing a shopping cart. (heh)
Yeah, there is a guy I see often in my neighborhood pushing a shopping cart and wearing a skirt, or sometimes a dress. No one would mistake his skirts and dresses for kilts, though. He seems to have lots of friends around.

I would feel so vulnerable, not only being whacko but also wearing a skirt. I think one or the other would be about my limit.

Ha
Old 09-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I do not mind a guy in a kilt but I draw the line at a guy looking through my closet for something to wear and don't even think about touching my Vera Bradley purses !
Old 09-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I do not mind a guy in a kilt but I draw the line at a guy looking through my closet for something to wear and don't even think about touching my Vera Bradley purses !
Heh, I guess that CRV is workin for ya!
Old 09-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #29

Quote:
I would like to know if it's all a void underneath, or is it like a pair of really baggy shorts.
I'm sorry? A void? Oh, you mean the garment. Yes, it's a void. The topology is the same as a skirt.

This particular model has a "modesty system" which lets you loosely connect the front to the back using a toggle, so the whole thing effectively becomes a giant pair of shorts, but it doesn't do anything for the line, so that's only for high winds and motorbike riding.

Quote:
The FAQ on that website is hilarious!
The whole site is very cool. I have so far found 3 of George Carlin's 7 words on there, which is fairly anti-corporate, although perhaps not too much so for Seattle.

The kilt comes with cards in the pockets, both the company's business cards (their advertising is mostly word-of-mouth) and a couple with bits of philosophising about the product - one is a postcard which you can mail, with the message partly pre-filled: "Dear _____, Look what _____ just got!", etc. Another card contains this phrase, which I liked: "Wearing a Utilikilt ensures that you are met with minimum preconceptions".

It's very, very comfortable on a cramped coach-class airline seat. Way better than having jeans seams bundled up into your "gentleman's area" for a couple of hours. And pulling off the pockets to toss all your metallic stuff onto the conveyor is cool too, but I did need to walk through the metal detector gate a little carefully after removing my belt.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a few traditional handmade kilts in the family tartan but I have never tried a Utilikilt since I wear mine on special occasions (parents funerals, Robert Burns dinners, Weddings, formal gatherings, etc.).
Utilikilts are more of a modern, everyday wear, and utilitarian (pockets, etc.) design. However, I would suggest you may be wearing it a little low on the hips. Kilts are more properly worn so that the bottom edge is about mid kneecap or just slightly higher. Unless, of course, you are into more of the more Hip Hop style then it needs to be lower on the buns to show your boxers.

Cheers!
Old 09-29-2010, 06:32 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Kilts are more properly worn so that the bottom edge is about mid kneecap or just slightly higher.
One of the cards included with the kilt specifically addresses this. It says that, unlike Scottish kilts, Utilikilts are designed to be worn slightly below the waist, and with the knees completely covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Unless, of course, you are into more of the more Hip Hop style then it needs to be lower on the buns to show your boxers.
The last part of that statement contains an assumption, which I humbly submit you are not in a position to make.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:57 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
• in a colossal case of misjudgment, you decide to wear your tie dyed Utilikilt* to Big Earl’s Tractor Pull in Jemison, Alabama, while wearing your **** BUSH t-shirt…
!

Audrey
Old 12-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #33

Bump!

I've been having a blast wearing my kilt to all kinds of places. It's interesting seeing the different reactions in different countries (so far I've worn it in the UK, Spain, France, Luxembourg, and Germany).

And to get you in the Hogmanay mood (featuring mild nudity):
Old 12-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post

It's very, very comfortable on a cramped coach-class airline seat. Way better than having jeans seams bundled up into your "gentleman's area" for a couple of hours. And pulling off the pockets to toss all your metallic stuff onto the conveyor is cool too, but I did need to walk through the metal detector gate a little carefully after removing my belt.
I wonder how a kilt will go over with the TSA and their screening. I assume you would chose the x-ray versus the aggressive pat down.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I wonder how a kilt will go over with the TSA and their screening. I assume you would chose the x-ray versus the aggressive pat down.
Save the patdown, just have them stand on a mirror.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I think I wrote up my experiences with this on a TSA thread... I've flown 3 times with the kilt and I only set off the metal detector once - the security guy approached with the wand and gave me a very cursory wave of it. He wasn't going anywhere near the 8-inch knife which could have been strapped to my thigh.

Anyway, I'd definitely go for the patdown. I don't worry about the X-ray but I would take the patdown for the LOL factor.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't worry about the X-ray but I would take the patdown for the LOL factor.
I officially volunteer to pat you down Big Nick
Old 12-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I officially volunteer to pat you down Big Nick
Nick, his name is Big Nick...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Bump!

I've been having a blast wearing my kilt to all kinds of places. It's interesting seeing the different reactions in different countries (so far I've worn it in the UK, Spain, France, Luxembourg, and Germany).

And to get you in the Hogmanay mood (featuring mild nudity):
I am definitely living in the wrong country.

Woooooo
Old 12-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #40

That is so awesome, Nick! I agree, we live in the wrong country, Freebird!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote