Join Early Retirement Today

Took Up Smoking for Labor Day
Old 09-02-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Took Up Smoking for Labor Day

Smoked some fish. Prepped 'em last night by getting a good pellicle on the surface. Used a dry brine of salt, brown sugar, garlic, and a few herbs from the garden. Smoked a couple of pounds each of Alaskan salmon and catfish (also took advantage of the lower smoking temp for some beef jerky as well).

I prefer apple wood for fish and chicken, so apple was deployed. Smoked at ~180 for about 4.5 hours. Pulled 'em at about 125 degrees. Kept the jerky on a little longer for a higher internal temp.

Been scarfing down the fish with some creme fresh and chives on a cracker. I'm gonna have to roll off the deck when its time to move. Also made some salmon rillettes that DS said he would kill for. He can be a fussy eater, so the compliment was nice to hear.

Anyhoo, that's the sum of my labor on Labor Day. I like to smoke. It forces me to slow down.

Here's hoping that your Labor Day is good. Maybe good and slow.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #2

I'm thinking pork ribs smoked on the egg with grilled oysters appetizer!

Old 09-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Me too! We have DD/SO (x2 of them) coming over for dinner tonight, so I have been smoking a pork shoulder since 4 am with hickory and maple. Since I have the smoker all fired up, I will also do a light smoke on 3 Canadian peameal bacon pieces and cook up some homemade Argentine chorizo sausages.

Should be a good feed for all.
jcfradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:35 PM   #4

You all are making me hungry!
I have not been able to smoke anything but a few racks of ribs from Sam's. We used to buy a 300# hog from a friend every year, making our own bacon, hams, sausage, and ribs. I used hickory and apple wood prunings from my 2 trees in the back. He quit raisig hogs two years ago, and I haven't been able to find a replacement for him.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:55 PM   #5

Just got back from the grocery with a 4 lb rack of St. Louis ribs and a bag of 2 dozen oysters. Had some oysters last night and they were so good I had to get more!
Old 09-02-2019, 04:17 PM   #6

Smoked a 8.5# pork butt (shoulder) last Wednesday to take on our Labor Day camping trip with friends. Put the whole butt in a crock pot Friday morning, and that night it we pulled it and it tasted like it just came off the smoker. Fed about 15-20 people.

I use apple wood for everything (pork, chicken turkey, brisket). A really mild smoke flavor.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:04 PM   #7

Shucked and sauced and grilled a dozen and we (the 2 of us) ate them. Rinse and repeat. Bag done!

Now it time to dry spice the ribs and start up the egg -
Old 09-02-2019, 06:49 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Smoked some fish. Prepped 'em last night by getting a good pellicle on the surface. Used a dry brine of salt, brown sugar, garlic, and a few herbs from the garden. Smoked a couple of pounds each of Alaskan salmon and catfish (also took advantage of the lower smoking temp for some beef jerky as well).

I prefer apple wood for fish and chicken, so apple was deployed. Smoked at ~180 for about 4.5 hours. Pulled 'em at about 125 degrees. Kept the jerky on a little longer for a higher internal temp.

Been scarfing down the fish with some creme fresh and chives on a cracker. I'm gonna have to roll off the deck when its time to move. Also made some salmon rillettes that DS said he would kill for. He can be a fussy eater, so the compliment was nice to hear.

Anyhoo, that's the sum of my labor on Labor Day. I like to smoke. It forces me to slow down.

Here's hoping that your Labor Day is good. Maybe good and slow.
I love to smoke fish too!

Although around here it's just to hot to smoke over the summer. I really look forward to smoking salmon again.

I also smoke salmon at 180 to around internal temp 125 as long as it's been professionally frozen, so I don't have to worry about those nasty nematodes. Otherwise I target a higher temp.

I'll post my brine sometime - it has rum in it!

P.S. I immediately figured out what kind of smoking you were talking about!
Old 09-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
You all are making me hungry!
I have not been able to smoke anything but a few racks of ribs from Sam's. We used to buy a 300# hog from a friend every year, making our own bacon, hams, sausage, and ribs. I used hickory and apple wood prunings from my 2 trees in the back. He quit raisig hogs two years ago, and I haven't been able to find a replacement for him.
Oh, what a loss!!!