Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I never understood what exactly this income number is. Taxable income? If I get $40k*2 in tax deferred compensation or non vested stock options of 50k or something is that part of the equation? What about investment income? If I have $2mill and the market goes up 20% I’m almost 1% without working?
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2018, 10:48 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yup. Any way you make 400 grand a year makes you a 1% er.

10 mil in net worth or 400 grand / year in income. Of course more is always better!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

I still struggle with the idea that because others are doing better than you that is somehow harms you. I just don't "feel" harmed, and my experience indicates no harm to me. The conclusion of the study is that the top 1% are doing better at the expense of everyone else, rather than just stating they had more gains. Like it is a zero sum game.
king smoothie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:36 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Top 1% by income is $430,600 for a household. Top 1% by NW is $10,374,030. I make way more than the income number but fall way short on the NW number. I got me some savin' to do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I might make the income number this year, but that is one year out of my 55 years on the planet. I have about half the NW.
Maybe not ready to retire yet. RE demands a balance between employment earnings and net worth.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:43 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post
I never understood what exactly this income number is. Taxable income? If I get $40k*2 in tax deferred compensation or non vested stock options of 50k or something is that part of the equation? What about investment income? If I have $2mill and the market goes up 20% I’m almost 1% without working?
I would say it's gross taxable income but I suppose people can use any number they want. Since it doesn't "matter" if you are a 1%'er or not a 1%'er.

I'd like to be a 1%'er and not let my friends know it!
Old 07-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #26

I'm not in the top 1%. I wouldn't mind the money, as then I'd be able to save so much more and FIRE sooner, but I'm not chasing new, higher paying jobs these days.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Maybe not ready to retire yet. RE demands a balance between employment earnings and net worth.
I'd say that RE demands a balance between expenses and income producing investments (i.e. their portfolio plus anything else that generates an income for them, pension etc).

A person spending $30k/year with a $250k job and $1M portfolio can afford to retire, even though their portfolio is only 4 times earnings. The same person living the same lifestyle costing $30k, but with a $40k/year job and $160k portfolio (still 4 times earnings) cannot safely afford to retire.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by king smoothie View Post
I still struggle with the idea that because others are doing better than you that is somehow harms you. I just don't "feel" harmed, and my experience indicates no harm to me. The conclusion of the study is that the top 1% are doing better at the expense of everyone else, rather than just stating they had more gains. Like it is a zero sum game.
Whenever that feeling of "oh boy they are doing much better" approaches my psyche, I remind myself, no they aren't, they are just doing it DIFFERENT.

Better is in the eye of the beholder, sort of like its hard for me to answer the question "how does it taste?" Well, depends, my mouth is different than yours.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
I click on these threads and polls dealing with comparisons, even though I know better.

They are fiscal empty calories, providing some momentary guilty pleasure but making not a whisker's difference to my own situation.

Whether I'm in the top X% or the bottom X% shouldn't matter. I'm not living anybody else's life, so what they do and what they have is their business, not mine.
On one hand, yes, it's kind of a superficial, ego type ranking thing.
But on the other hand, there are policy implications, like taxation and benefits. Everyone wants to tax "the rich" but so there's a need to look at stats to help define.
Rich is anybody who can afford stuff I can't
Old 07-26-2018, 02:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVRRocketSurgery View Post
But on the other hand, there are policy implications, like taxation and benefits. Everyone wants to tax "the rich" but so there's a need to look at stats to help define.
Roger that. There's no end of people who can't wait to tax the rich. And history suggests it will never be enough.

But it's not clear that defining "the rich" constitutes anything besides an entirely arbitrary threshold of prosperity. Is there anything magic about one percent of the population? Why not the top point-oh-oh-six percent or thirteen-point-seven percent? One percent is a handy concept for sloganeering, but there's nothing fundamentally scientific about it.

The income and wealth curves get extremely skewed at the upper end of the distribution. My wife's neurologist probably sneaks into the 1% earning ~400k, but that's poverty compared to a Megacorp CEO making forty million. And that difference is WAY larger than the difference between the neurologist and a household earning the median.

Of course, it's because the topic is so subjective that I find it so salacious. It's akin to a sugar high, only less fattening.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Gotta move to Rio Grande City, TX and then 122K gets ya in the top 1% of income earners.
have you ever been there?

i went dove hunting around rio grande city about 30 years ago

it was so hot the soles of my boots fell off in the field, no joke
Old 07-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
But, why look at just America? Let's be "world citizens" for a moment.

To be in the top 1% of the world, you need:
1) an income of $32,400
2) a net worth of $770,000

That's the top 1%. Nearly everyone living in the US is quite well off (materially) by world standards and certainly by historical standards.

Do we feel better now? Honestly, I don't. To think that the majority of the world still lives in abject poverty is not much to smile about. The median net worth for adults worldwide is $3,582. That's how much it takes to be doing better than most people. In Africa, it is $438.

The good news is that wealth and living standards in some of the world's poorest places are improving.

Note, these figures were from a few years ago.
It is good to know that our system works most of the time, even though you would never know that from the news you hear.

We have little control over the rest of the world.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post