Top 1%?

But, why look at just America? Let's be "world citizens" for a moment.

To be in the top 1% of the world, you need:
1) an income of $32,400
2) a net worth of $770,000

That's the top 1%. Nearly everyone living in the US is quite well off (materially) by world standards and certainly by historical standards.

Do we feel better now? Honestly, I don't. To think that the majority of the world still lives in abject poverty is not much to smile about. The median net worth for adults worldwide is $3,582. That's how much it takes to be doing better than most people. In Africa, it is $438.

The good news is that wealth and living standards in some of the world's poorest places are improving.

Note, these figures were from a few years ago.

Last edited:
Last I looked you need 10 mil to make the bottom of the 1% ers

Top 1% by income is $430,600 for a household. Top 1% by NW is $10,374,030. I make way more than the income number but fall way short on the NW number. I got me some savin' to do!

I might make the income number this year, but that is one year out of my 55 years on the planet. I have about half the NW.

I didn't quite make it, but maybe you did?

https://cnbc.com/2018/07/19/what-yo...ercent-in-america.html?recirc=taboolainternal

Here's how much you have to earn to be in the top 1 percent in America.
Does anyone here live in Jackson Wyoming?

Anyway... the amount is for Family Income, not individual.

I do think I made the higher end of the Top 1% on the “Happiness Scale” (the scale on average established by me over my lifetime so far). The income I/we made along the way had an influence. Using the annual numbers quoted: no. But,it is all fine by me. Thanks for sharing!

As Jackie Vernon used to say in the 1960s and before, "We were so poor we were adopted by a Korean family".

If I converted my part-time earnings to a FTE then I would have made it in my best years.

I'm not in the top 1%, but gee, I have more than enough already. Well, the way I define "enough", I do. I guess the point of the article is for people to get all envious, but TBH it wouldn't really make any difference in my life.

But, why look at just America? Let's be "world citizens" for a moment.

To be in the top 1% of the world, you need:
1) an income of $32,400
2) a net worth of $770,000

That's the top 1%. Nearly everyone living in the US is quite well off (materially) by world standards and certainly by historical standards.

Do we feel better now? Honestly, I don't. To think that the majority of the world still lives in abject poverty is not much to smile about. The median net worth for adults worldwide is $3,582. That's how much it takes to be doing better than most people. In Africa, it is $438.

The good news is that wealth and living standards in some of the world's poorest places are improving.

Note, these figures were from a few years ago.

Well said!

I'm not in the top 1%, but gee, I have more than enough already. Well, the way I define "enough", I do. I guess the point of the article is for people to get all envious, but TBH it wouldn't really make any difference in my life.

+1

I'm not in the 1%, and unless they obtained their wealth in an illegal manner I don't care about what the %1 earns or has.

If you play high school baseball or football, you have smaller odds of making it to the pros than to the 1% of earnings... yet you do not see anyone raising "skill envy" about that. :)

I can say that I've always been in the top 100%.

I can't say that I've ever cared.

I saw a "Top 1% of the US" and "Top 1% of the world" mentioned, with vastly different results. But how about "Top 1% of the advanced world" which would exclude the very poor, third-world areas such as much of Africa? I'm sure there would be a large grey area to exclude poorer countries which are not really considered Third World. But it might provide a better benchmark.

I can say that I've always been in the top 100%.

I can't say that I've ever cared.

+1
As I have stated before, I supported a trader back in the 1980's who made 5m yearly back then. A lot of the folks in my former industry who were in the top 1%, one wouldn't want as a friend.
As long as I can enjoy retirement happy and healthy, that works.

Gimme that sugar!

I click on these threads and polls dealing with comparisons, even though I know better.

They are fiscal empty calories, providing some momentary guilty pleasure but making not a whisker's difference to my own situation.

Whether I'm in the top X% or the bottom X% shouldn't matter. I'm not living anybody else's life, so what they do and what they have is their business, not mine.

But I can't help myself, any more than I can resist the brownies and cookies and doughnuts that my co-w*rkers occasionally bring into the sweatshop. I know I'll never lose these love handles eating that stuff, but it's soooo sweet!

Oh, well, I'll regret it later. Feed me now!

I saw a "Top 1% of the US" and "Top 1% of the world" mentioned, with vastly different results. But how about "Top 1% of the advanced world" which would exclude the very poor, third-world areas such as much of Africa? I'm sure there would be a large grey area to exclude poorer countries which are not really considered Third World. But it might provide a better benchmark.

This might interest you - average household wealth from OECD countries: https://www.businessinsider.com/net...und-the-world-oecd-countries-2018-7?r=UK&IR=T

"Average household wealth varies widely across OECD countries, ranging from a low of $4,429 in Turkey to a high of $176,076 in the United States. Across the entire OECD, the average household wealth was $90,570."

I never understood what exactly this income number is. Taxable income? If I get $40k*2 in tax deferred compensation or non vested stock options of 50k or something is that part of the equation? What about investment income? If I have $2mill and the market goes up 20% I’m almost 1% without working?

Yup. Any way you make 400 grand a year makes you a 1% er.

10 mil in net worth or 400 grand / year in income. Of course more is always better!

I still struggle with the idea that because others are doing better than you that is somehow harms you. I just don't "feel" harmed, and my experience indicates no harm to me. The conclusion of the study is that the top 1% are doing better at the expense of everyone else, rather than just stating they had more gains. Like it is a zero sum game.

Top 1% by income is $430,600 for a household. Top 1% by NW is $10,374,030. I make way more than the income number but fall way short on the NW number. I got me some savin' to do!
I might make the income number this year, but that is one year out of my 55 years on the planet. I have about half the NW.
Maybe not ready to retire yet. RE demands a balance between employment earnings and net worth.

I never understood what exactly this income number is. Taxable income? If I get $40k*2 in tax deferred compensation or non vested stock options of 50k or something is that part of the equation? What about investment income? If I have $2mill and the market goes up 20% I’m almost 1% without working?

I would say it's gross taxable income but I suppose people can use any number they want. Since it doesn't "matter" if you are a 1%'er or not a 1%'er.

I'd like to be a 1%'er and not let my friends know it!

Back
Top Bottom