Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The mentioning of sex and drugs annoyed me so much that I did not bother to read the rest of the article. I just now did, and did not think the list was as ridiculous as I feared. Except for one suggested item being MJ, why did she mention sex and drugs at the introduction? To get attention, apparently. Dumb!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #22
Administrator

I don't think I'll be buying my 72 year old mom either pot or panties.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I don't think I'll be buying my 72 year old mom either pot or panties.
Nor will I buy these items for my nearly 83 year old mom. IMHO, the article misses what my mom really wants. Some good times together, lunch and a movie, and spending time with each other are better than these awful "gifts". I really love her so much. I'm lucky that way. To have a mother I want to be with.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Nor will I buy these items for my nearly 83 year old mom. IMHO, the article misses what my mom really wants. Some good times together, lunch and a movie, and spending time with each other are better than these awful "gifts". I really love her so much. I'm lucky that way. To have a mother I want to be with.
Judging from the article, I doubt this is about presents for our Mommies. A lot of 65 year old women look as good as women many years younger, and they can get it on as well or better too. They are not ready for warm milk and a place by the fire.

Ha
Old 12-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I find myself torn between being amused and being insulted. Guessing the woman that wrote this is in her 20s.
I think satire & irony are even funnier when the author doesn't realize they're being satirical or ironic...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Judging from the article, I doubt this is about presents for our Mommies. A lot of 65 year old women look as good as women many years younger, and they can get it on as well or better too. They are not ready for warm milk and a place by the fire.

Ha
Women of a Certain Age: Helen Mirren Poses Nude @ 65

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I think satire & irony are even funnier when the author doesn't realize they're being satirical or ironic...
I see that a lot on Facebook...

Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I can't believe diamonds didn't make the list. They should be #1.....always.....any age.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I can't believe diamonds didn't make the list. They should be #1.....always.....any age.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
DeBeers paid those women a lot of money over the years to sing those praises.

I learned from "All The Money In The World" that the concept of diamond engagement rings didn't even really exist until the early 20th century. Totally manufactured by the... diamond jewelers.
Book review: “All The Money In The World”

I'm having my mother's engagement ring and eternity ring appraised, and I've learned that diamond sales are on the wane. One reason is because DeBeers has lost control of the monopoly (lawsuits, other competition). Other reasons are that people no longer want to have their carats associated with "blood diamonds", costume jewelry is better than ever, and people prefer colored jewels like rubies & emeralds.

Our rings appraisal will probably be wildly overinflated, but at least we'll know exactly what we have. My spouse thinks the eternity ring is great and may someday pass it on to our daughter. Maybe our daughter will someday reset the engagement diamond for her own ring. But I don't think they're even worth the cost of insurance.

I'm not so sure that women value real diamonds as much as they once did, especially when QVC is selling the costume variety by the dumpsterload.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I agree with the point about DeBeers (diamonds are not actually that rare; they're just controlled by cartels) but I have no time for the "blood diamond" bleeding hearts. Some people are always looking for a way to "knock" luxuries - fur coats are bad, while leather goods are somehow OK; diamonds are bloody, but rubies (mined by people treated no better than slaves) are acceptable, etc.

I strongly suspect that by the time a diamond gets onto your finger, it has passed through so many hands there is no way to be certain if it financed a war - including one conducted by Genghis Khan.

My rant for the night.

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
DeBeers paid those women a lot of money over the years to sing those praises.

Other reasons are that people no longer want to have their carats associated with "blood diamonds", .
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't go for thongs------

Whew

Talk about timely advice, I'm going Christmas shopping tomorrow--(scratching thongs from list)
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote