Top 10 Vehicles in Wealthiest Zip Codes

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
A couple of threads recently have discussed "hiding" wealth and thought this might be an interesting share. I live in a fairly affluent zip code (for Georgia standards, anyway) and I see these cars often. I would say one of the MOST popular cars for my area though is the Nissan Leaf...but that is probably because of the VERY generous tax credits that we *used* to have. I was sort of surprised to see the VW on the list. I don't see too many of them running around.

TrueCar.com Study Identifies Top 10 Vehicles in Wealthiest Zip Codes - TrueCar Blog

Attachments

• cars.jpg
    cars.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 38
To those who might be surprised to see the relatively low-priced Accord and the Camry on the list, guess that's how some of the folks who live in the wealthiest zip codes can afford the houses.

Slightly off the subject, looks like Toyota sold a hefty quantity of 2015 Camrys to the rental industry last year. That's one way to keep your car winning the title "most popular mid-size car in the US." :)

The positive side of this for the general public is those cars are hitting the auction market and being snapped up at a bargain by Toyota dealerships (at least around here). You can buy a 2015 Camry SE with less than 20,000 miles for $16,500 - certified and still under factory warranty.

Too bad I'm not in the market for a car...

Not a very luxurious list in y my opinion................

Surprised no trucks on that list. F series pickup has been highest selling vehicle nationally for 30+ years running. (And, anecdotally, the wealthiest zip codes in TN don't lack for them; although we are talking TN!)

Maybe limited solely to cars?

To those who might be surprised to see the relatively low-priced Accord and the Camry on the list, guess that's how some of the folks who live in the wealthiest zip codes can afford the houses.
My neighbor and I have the same car (Accord), his '15, mine '16. We were discussing this, and it turned out we both express our choice of car in the same terms - a more upscale car, or the Honda plus so much additional travel.

Not a very luxurious list in y my opinion................

I don't think the list had any "luxurious" listed in it. They are the most "popular".

Surprised no trucks on that list. F series pickup has been highest selling vehicle nationally for 30+ years running. (And, anecdotally, the wealthiest zip codes in TN don't lack for them; although we are talking TN!)

Maybe limited solely to cars?

Could be. I have read somewhere (can't remember) that the F-150 is the most purchased vehicle with those that have a net worth of 1M+. I *think* it was in the Millionaire Next Door series somewhere.

My neighbor and I have the same car (Accord), his '15, mine '16. We were discussing this, and it turned out we both express our choice of car in the same terms - a more upscale car, or the Honda plus so much additional travel.

When our Infiniti has seen it's last day (which could be a while...it's an '09 and just hit 90K miles and is in great shape) we will be going to the Accord. When we bought the Infiniti (not really a regret, but it wasn't a real smart purchase at the time) we sold an '06 V6 Accord that was in great shape (with 60K miles) and pretty much regretted it immediately.

Don't get me wrong...the Infiniti is an absolute BLAST to drive...but I don't like the connotation... :D

I have read somewhere (can't remember) that the F-150 is the most purchased vehicle with those that have a net worth of 1M+. I *think* it was in the Millionaire Next Door series somewhere.

On vacation this week in Newport Coast CA and I seem to be the only one driving a pickup out here except for work trucks. Mercedes and BMW seem to be the vehicle of choice. Not sure what the average net worth is out here but with 2-BR condos going for $1.5M it has to be pretty high.

I used to live in an affluent community, but when we downsized, I now live in an adjacent town. Only about 3 of those vehicles were very common in my old neighborhood.

I think it's also really interesting how regional popular car tastes are. Just a few examples:

• While the Prius is popular in some areas (left coast), they're much scarcer in some areas.
  • Foreign cars used to be almost non-existent around Detroit, though it appears that "bias" has eased.
  • The Subaru Outback (used to be Volvo wagons) seems to be wildly popular in parts of New England and Colorado for instance.
The list above must have excluded pickups based on my experience, they seem to be everywhere in many parts of the country.

Last edited:
When our Infiniti has seen it's last day (which could be a while...it's an '09 and just hit 90K miles and is in great shape) we will be going to the Accord. When we bought the Infiniti (not really a regret, but it wasn't a real smart purchase at the time) ...

I have an 07 with 97K, and will drive it till the wheels fall off as well. Then I'm interested in a hybrid, electric, or Outback. I doubt I'll do another prestige brand, at least not for a while. It's a nice car. I enjoy driving it, but I get a twinge of buyer's remorse when I think about what that 20K would be now... *sigh*.

Funny - I'm a cyclist (and an Infiniti driver), and to me it's always the guy in the FREAKIN' MERCEDES!

Funny - I'm a cyclist (and an Infiniti driver), and to me it's always the guy in the FREAKIN' MERCEDES!

Audi is a VERY popular brand around here, and the new/old adage of the Audi A*****le is the perfect adjective. Especially when they are COVERED with self-promoting magnets.

There was a reason for buying the "prestige" of the Infiniti. At the time, the DW was entering the luxury home Realtor market, so that car was more appealing to her upper-class clients as opposed to the Accord and getting rid of the car now (it's in VERY good shape for the miles) would just be stupid. Once we moved to Georgia and she stopped selling R/E, we got a Highlander that became her daily driver and I now drive the Infiniti. Both of them will be driven into the ground...

Or maybe they are the kid's or nanny's car?

My thoughts exactly.

I know where I live it seems like most of the HS ages kids drive old Camry and Accords (and a few Corollas and Civics). It makes sense - there were tons built, they last forever, and are pretty darn safe cars.

My thoughts exactly.

I know where I live it seems like most of the HS ages kids drive old Camry and Accords (and a few Corollas and Civics). It makes sense - there were tons built, they last forever, and are pretty darn safe cars.

and they are the parent's hand-me-down cars.

I drive through La Jolla several times a week to "borrow their beach" to walk the dog. Maserati's are not unusual - I saw 3 in short order one morning. Standard seems to be euro sporty car (bmw, audi, etc.) Lots and lots of tesla's. But also lots of pick up trucks... but those tend to be surfers who drive to the beach, like me. LOL

I have seen other "rich folks cars" lists that included the The Jeep Wrangler.......and yes I do:cool:

Oldest GC is driving a handed down Toyota Matrix with 280,000 KM. Hoping it will last all 4 years of college out of town. Half way there!

Oldest GC is driving a handed down Toyota Matrix with 280,000 KM. Hoping it will last all 4 years of college out of town. Half way there!
My oldest GC was on the same plan with his hand-me-down Matrix, but it came to a crashing halt two weeks ago. Thankfully no injuries, due in no small part to the recalled and replaced Takata air bags.

Attachments

• IMG_1392.jpg
    IMG_1392.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 7
My oldest GC was on the same plan with his hand-me-down Matrix, but it came to a crashing halt two weeks ago. Thankfully no injuries, due in no small part to the recalled and replaced Takata air bags.

Wow!! That's one extremely lucky GC. That car was damaged so badly it was nearly vaporized! So glad and amazed that he survived uninjured.

The list is representative of where I live. Many of the parents buy the teenagers the Camrys and Accords while driving Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Volvo themselves.

A homeowner near me has two Maseratis, but his kids drive something less expensive.

The list is representative of where I live. Many of the parents buy the teenagers the Camrys and Accords while driving Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Volvo themselves.

A homeowner near me has two Maseratis, but his kids drive something less expensive.

I was curious as to the value of our Infiniti and how much it would cost to acquire a 2-3 year old Accord. Let me tell you...the Accords are NOT cheap cars and even in Atlanta, it's not very easy to find a V-6 Accord w/ less than 36,000 miles. Apparently, the wealthy folks hold on to them for a while!

Back
Top Bottom