Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Top 15 vehicles owned for 15+ years
Old 01-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Top 15 vehicles owned for 15+ years

Not surprisingly, all are Japanese makes.

Here are the top 15 vehicles and the percentage of original owners who keep the vehicle for 15+ years....

https://clark.com/cars/reliable-cars...4005d-72329885

I'm planning on holding onto my 2006 Toyota Highlander for a few more years as it's running fine and still makes the Florida-Michigan snowbird 'repositioning cruise' with no issues.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2020, 10:18 AM   #2
gone traveling

I suppose that is dependent on where you are geographically in the U.S.A. There are far more pickup trucks, domestic sedans around where I live than anything else, and how much salt is applied to the local roads.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have a 12 year old Toyota Corolla and 10 year old Honda Accord. Outside of regular maintenance, tires and brakes neither has needed any repairs. They have been awesome.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:32 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Having owned Ford, GM, Chrysler and Toyota products, I can say that my totally unscientific conclusions from my experience indicate Toyota is best for me.

The one Ford I owned was poorly designed, IMHO. Worse, the freeze plugs rusted out at less than 100,000 miles. Imagine a So. Cal boy suddenly learning about freeze plugs on the engine block as his car overheats and coolant is pouring out from under the engine. There were other problems also - not as bad as my Pontica below,but still a nusiance. Not so good.

My Plymouth mini-van was an great car. Reliable, well designed, etc. But Chrysler is no longer the company it once was, IMHO. Nuff said.

My Toyotas (1 Corona, 3 Camrys, one Corolla and now a RAV4) just run, and run and run with few repairs. None of the above cars was towed away while I owned it do to mechanical/reliability problems. The Corona and Corolla were sold - still in good condition - because I needed something more. Two of the Camrys were given to the young folk and lasted many more years. One Camry was totaled when a Ford driver smashed into it in a parking lot. The Rav4 is a 2019 so time will tell.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:46 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Wow, all Toyotas or Honda’s with one Subaru, even more lopsided than I expected. We keep our cars for around 10 years give or take, and we’ve had 3 Toyota’s, 5 Honda’s and 1 Subaru - so I guess we’re believers. We’ve also owned one each Audi, BMW, Nissan and Volvo and probably won’t repeat any of them, nor the Subaru. Sadly my last American made car was in 1977.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:04 AM   #6

Wonder why no Lexus on the list? I’m guessing more to do with owner demographics than reliability of the cars.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:12 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

My first Toyota and I still own it is a 2007 4Runner with 198K miles. Just did brakes and new Michelin's from Costco so good until 250K! Plus resale is still $7K according to online sites I check. Was shopping for a newer car for the "tech" and safety features but I had a local mobile electronic shop drop in a 7" Kenwood Apple CarPlay receiver with backup camera and WOW gives me the connectivity and convenience of the camera.
Also have had Audi's and BMW (DW has a 2018 330iX) and you cannot beat the driving experience but costly to repair when they break. The BMW is new and likely will be trouble free for next 3-4 years (knock on wood) so let's hope as it does put a big smile on our faces on the twisty back roads.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:16 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch57 View Post
Also have had Audi's and BMW (DW has a 2018 330iX) and you cannot beat the driving experience but costly to repair when they break. The BMW is new and likely will be trouble free for next 3-4 years (knock on wood) so let's hope as it does put a big smile on our faces on the twisty back roads.

I recently heard the consumer show host Clark Howard tell a story about a guy who owned a chain of independent Toyota repair shops. He was not making much money. So, he switched to repairing German cars. He is now making a ton of money.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:16 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

2008 Ford Fusion here 190K+. Other than one major repair a couple years ago just tires and regular maintenance. Hope to get to 250K.

Wife has a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix just under 140K. Has been in the shop a bit the last couple of years but still way less $$$ than a car payment. Hope to get to spring on 2021 and then will move on to a used Mazda CX-5.
georgemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:25 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Having owned Ford, GM, Chrysler and Toyota products, I can say that my totally unscientific conclusions from my experience indicate Toyota is best for me.

The one Ford I owned was poorly designed, IMHO.......... .
Yea, it is sad. I worked in the industry for a whole career. We recruited from all the top universities to ensure we had top engineers, only to tell them that "we can't do that. It is too expensive", all the while paying literally billions of dollars a year in warranty costs. People from outside the industry think that engineers make the design decisions, but in reality, it is bean counters and corporate politicians that call the shots. Cleverly, these same folks rotate jobs quickly enough to avoid the fallout. All part of the corporate culture.

That's OK, we drive a Highlander and a CRV now - never been back to the dealer for either one.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:33 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Yea, it is sad. I worked in the industry for a whole career. We recruited from all the top universities to ensure we had top engineers, only to tell them that "we can't do that. It is too expensive", all the while paying literally billions of dollars a year in warranty costs. People from outside the industry think that engineers make the design decisions, but in reality, it is bean counters and corporate politicians that call the shots. Cleverly, these same folks rotate jobs quickly enough to avoid the fallout. All part of the corporate culture.

That's OK, we drive a Highlander and a CRV now - never been back to the dealer for either one.
The story on the (dry) Ford Dual Clutch gearbox approved for use in late model Fiestas and Focus (2011 -2016) is a good example as to the above corporate mentality.

Ford PowerShift Transmission Settlement

(Link to class action settlement above)
Old 01-15-2020, 11:38 AM   #12

The only ones I've had for 15 years or more was a 1985 Chevy pickup (18 years) but that was more because it sat for weeks at a time. The other is a 2003 GMC pickup that I still have, but it only has 103k miles on it. The current 2nd car is a 2014 Honda Accord, I wouldn't be surprised if that could make the 15 year mark too. The only reason we'd give for selling it now is that it is low to the ground and getting in & (mostly) out is beginning to become an issue.

Getting old is a pain in the... well, mostly everywhere.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:40 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Close, we have a 13 year old Honda Civic with only 42k miles. So far so good.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:49 AM   #14
Confused about dryer sheets

I'm still driving 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with 10k miles that I bought in 2007 when DaimlerChrysler offered a lifetime powertrain warranty. Its worth so much more to me than its book value because of that warranty. I'll drive it as long as the frame will hold together. Also nice side benefit that Jeeps never go out of style. Should make it to 15 years if I can avoid major accident.
Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:47 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't know which brand is best for durability, but FWIW, my wife and I drove GM vehicles (Camaro and GMC Jimmy) for 18 and 16 years respectively, and we now have an 18 year old Dodge Durango and a 15 year old GMC Sierra pickup. All were purchased new and we really never had any serious issues with any of them. Not planning on (or looking forward to) replacing either vehicle until issues arise that make us afraid that we won't get to our desired destination.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:20 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ive owned my corolla for 12 years and have been in 9 accidents. Does that count?
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:23 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
I don't know which brand is best for durability, but FWIW, my wife and I drove GM vehicles (Camaro and GMC Jimmy) for 18 and 16 years respectively, and we now have an 18 year old Dodge Durango and a 15 year old GMC Sierra pickup. All were purchased new and we really never had any serious issues with any of them. Not planning on (or looking forward to) replacing either vehicle until issues arise that make us afraid that we won't get to our desired destination.
Unfortunately all indications are your experience is less likely with a GM, Ford or FCA car versus a Toyota or Honda. All have gotten much better, but the gap between them still hasn’t been closed. I don’t think any Americans are happy about it, it is what it is, and maybe the tables will turn some day?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:25 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a 14 year old Acura badged Civic with 200k on it but don't think I will get close with any other vehicle. DS loves driving this one which is a standard. Otherwise, we just don't keep vehicles that long. My mom has my Acura TSX which is 17 years old with about 180k on it now. I suspect that the observation is correct that there are not many Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, etc owners that are keeping there cars for more than 5 or 6 years let alone 15.

It would be interesting to see the list of just 15 year old cars on the road regardless of ownership history, or the list of the highest mileage cars still running. Volvo to hear owners tell it?
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:31 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

The only car I have had that is on that list was a 1997 Toyota Camry. I gave it to DD for a college car and it was still running at 300,000+ miles after she graduated.

Of course in its life it had received 20+ oil changes, three brake jobs, two front suspensions installed (tie rod ends, control arm and stabilizer bar bushings), two sets of shocks/struts, 7 sets of tires, a couple of window regulators, several light bulbs, one rebuilt starter motor, one new alternator, and a few repairs I have no clear entry on.

The paint faded into a dead chocolate brown with no clearcoat left and the driver's seat split and the foam turned into powder. We sold it for $1,200 after she graduated in 2010.

The automatic transmission was never touched in its life!

Otherwise,it was a great car.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:04 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

My former 1994 Toyota pickup sits across the street: neighbor took it for several trips last week. When I told her it was for sale, she came that day with the cash. She is happy with it.

My two cents is that if you buy a Toyota, do make for sure you like the color. I'm on my second Toyota vehicle (Tundra) at 12 years old and it drives like the day I bought it. No major problems to date.
Hillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote