Join Early Retirement Today

Topsy Turvy: Planting veggies upside down?
Old 02-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Topsy Turvy: Planting veggies upside down?

Topsy Turvy® Planters

I assume someone has used this already for growing tomato plants? But has anyone planted parsley or mint in one of these? And, if so, how did it do?
Since I purchased two of them, think I'll use one for cherry tomatoes and one for Italian flat parsley and some mint, since his instructions say you can plant two tomato plants in one Topsy Turvy then I should be able to plant both the parsley and mint together in one of these things.
Anyone use these before? And any tips that he doesn't give that will help?

Also was wondering if anyone has planted green peppers in one of these? And how did they do?

Since blood meal kept the deer from munching on my tomato plants and other veggies last year, I think I will pour blood meal at the top of the dirt on these and hope (fingers crossed) that it works. Guess I could sprinkle cayenne pepper on the veggies, too, to discourage Mr. and Mrs. Deer.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #2

My Master Gardener group planted one of those last summer with a cherry tomato plant, with interesting results. The roots all stayed in the bottom of the container (think gravity) so we wished we had planted the plant much higher in the container. Or actually put the roots at the very top. That would allow the roots to grow from the top to the bottom.

We had very little produce compared to tomatoes grown in the ground or half barrels. I would think it might work well for herbs; not sure about peppers.

Because gravity pulled the water to the bottom of the container, you need to make sure to water more often than you would expect. Also hanging in the hair will cause the container to dry out faster than a plant in the ground. So, keep a sharp eye on the watering so the roots don't dry out.

It sounds like fun. Enjoy.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #3

There are 228 reviews of this product on the Amazon website. The verdict is all over the map from crappy to great.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Felknor Ventures 82506 Topsy Turvy Upside-Down Tomato Planter
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
There are 228 reviews of this product on the Amazon website. The verdict is all over the map from crappy to great.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Felknor Ventures 82506 Topsy Turvy Upside-Down Tomato Planter
Yeah, like Reviews are an excellent source of information.

BEAT OF HAWAII AND BEYOND » Class Action Lawsuit and Government Scrutiny Of Travel Reviews

Quote:
As a travel consumer, do you believe that travel review standards have become necessary?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
My Master Gardener group planted one of those last summer with a cherry tomato plant, with interesting results. The roots all stayed in the bottom of the container (think gravity) so we wished we had planted the plant much higher in the container. Or actually put the roots at the very top.
KB: I'm thinking that if I put most of the plant into the container before adding soil that the soil would kill the leaves AND the entire plant? True or not true?

Plan to buy a larger ($5 type) of cherry tomato plant. Maybe I could put half of the plant into the soil and it would work?

I'm really cautious about sticking the entire plant into soil. Any experience with doing this? And will the plant keep growing? I'm no Master Gardner as you can tell.

And I didn't even think of looking at Amazon to see if they sold these, so thanks, MasterBlaster.

Agree with RonBoyd somewhat as I think some of these companies that have reviews blow off most of the negative ones but always post the positive. However, I have gleaned lots of good information from reviews myself...if you just sift thru and separate the honest from the bogus.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:12 AM   #6

Quote:

NO kidding about the reviews all over the place! I have NEVER (slight exaggeration allowed) seen anything like this on Amazon before...REALLY all over the place..Wow!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #7

You can plant the roots, some of the stalk and smaller branches under the soil. You can't plant the entire plant, nor can you plant all or most of the plant under the soil. Plants need their leaves above ground to create their own food (using sunlight, water and oxygen.

You might try buying a larger plant so you can the roots and some of the stalk in the soil...

We're not going to try one of these again We have 700 sq feet of vegetable beds, an asparagus patch and 6 half wine barrels to plant. We'll use the barrels to show the public how they don't need a lot of room to plant vegetables.

Good luck if you decide to try this. If it were me, I would buy a $20 large plastic pot, fill it with good potting soil and plant my tomato in that.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Last year was the first time we tried tomatoes in these planters. We had very few, and I mean very few, tomatoes. But, I think we made the mistake of planting heirlooms in there. This year, we'll try again but will use something standard like early girl or better boys. Also, it takes lots of water to keep these plants moist. Last spring DH and DS installed two covered rain barrels at our down spouts. These produced enough water to water my garden and flowers all summer long; never used a bit of city water. My neighbor, who happens to be my gardening hero, says that a lot of his friends use these upside down containers for tomatoes with fabulous results. I'm going to try again.
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #9

Quote:

Last night I took this link and read all the positive and negative reviews for tips. There are some good ones hidden in those posts if you care to take the time and trouble to review them...but it does take awhile as there are quite a few. But, I feel it helped me alot to hear what the people who failed said, as well as, what the successful ones said. Ironically, it seems to be split 50-50 on that, too.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

If you look at how the plants grow in these, you see them grow out the bottom then up. Tomatoes work ok because they have shallow roots and are a vine. Parseley is a bad idea because it has a tap root and does not vine. Mint is ok - shallow roots and weak rangey stems. Mint tends to crowd out & choke other plants. This is a gimmick method but. If you want to do it just pick a type of plant that is amenable this.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
DW bought one of those topsy-turvy deals a couple of years ago. I think we got 6-8 tomatoes and about a dozen peppes that summer. Was not worth it IMHO.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote