Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On the subject of financial mentoring, it has been discussed here as I just found out.

Do you financially mentor?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

There are so many options out there for people who are receiving unemployment.....all they have to do is go down to the center, sign up for learning new skills, receiving financial mentoring, get money for college, help with paying their rent/utilities/food.
I didn't get the feeling that this couple had that go get'em attitude....it seems as if they want someone to come to the door and hand them the perfect job.
I know that each situation is different and that life happens, but one has to research every avenue and want to do better.....you cannot instill that chutzpah is someone who does not have it.
Also, they know that they will have a place to go to....they don't seem that concerned about finding a job.
BTW, I would do anything in my power to not end up in my parents' plush over 50 pad....I cannot even fathom a dark basement with kitty litter!

Old 08-06-2009, 11:06 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Have a few drinks does not make one an alcoholic, however I would agree if he was drinking this much for years it is a habit that needs to be broken. However, based on the alcohol he is now consuming the question is why?
Here's a perfect example of poor decision making. He's sitting in the bar drinking Bud Lights (4.25 alcohol content), 8 of 'em. If he had any sense at all, he could be drinking Miller High Life(5.5), or even one of the Ice beers (5.5+), for probably the same price. 6 would easily get him as drunk as the 8 Lites. If he was truly interested in financial issues he could get a 6-pack of high alcohol content beer for $5-$6, and drink it in the parking lot. Then go in and drink one beer with the guys.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #84

See, Harley, the difference between a thinking, drinking man, and just a drinking man!

I don't think these folks can be "fixed", but I wonder about those kids. We aren't doing much in the schools to teach financial topics, or nutrition, or a whole bunch of other things that they could benefit from knowing.

Ambition and goal setting can't really be taught, unfortunately.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

I have a long-time buddy who likes light beer. I don't drink much anymore, but I prefer my ethanol to be a bit more concentrated. It costs less that way too. Distilled, it takes less room for storage and in your tummy. All the advantages...
Old 08-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #86

We can get high gravity beers (over 10%) now in SC. Talk about a 2 beer high! Whew! The Flying Dog ones are good, but dangerous.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
See, Harley, the difference between a thinking, drinking man, and just a drinking man!

I don't think these folks can be "fixed", but I wonder about those kids. We aren't doing much in the schools to teach financial topics, or nutrition, or a whole bunch of other things that they could benefit from knowing.

Ambition and goal setting can't really be taught, unfortunately.
I just thumbed through the latest BOCES* course brochure and saw 2 distinct handling money and financial courses.
I almost fainted! So maybe some adults and teenagers are being reached.

*BOCES is vocational and trade oriented classroom training for both high school and adult education. Classes are separated by age groups.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We can get high gravity beers (over 10%) now in SC. Talk about a 2 beer high! Whew! The Flying Dog ones are good, but dangerous.
I was in SC earlier this year. Our hosts told us that the laws had just been changed so I could buy beers I was used to buying in IL. Seems crazy that you can buy wine, spirits, but beer >10% was Verbotten.

Yes, the strong beers are definitely for slow sipping enjoyment when no driving is planned, but can be amazingly complex.

Another thing to add to my list of checks for possible future retirement locales:

1) Local liquor laws (it is still illegal to home brew beer in some states). Pres Carter eliminated the Federal ban, but states can be more restrictive.

2) Rent controls (price fixing never 'works').

3) Heat & humidity.

-ERD50
Old 08-10-2009, 07:38 AM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ERD
Seems like your number 3 should be 'Weather'. While Heat & Humidity is a problem now, when the snow begins to fall up north, and I am sipping Margaritas on the deck, it seems like a real good trade off.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:49 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
ERD
Seems like your number 3 should be 'Weather'. While Heat & Humidity is a problem now, when the snow begins to fall up north, and I am sipping Margaritas on the deck, it seems like a real good trade off.
Nope, that is my personal list. I'll take (and I do) some winter weather over prolonged heat & humidity. I'm glad some people enjoy those areas, or it would be too crowded up here.

Just my (strong) personal preference. I *really* hate heat and humidity. It just saps the life out of me. Cold weather is "brisk", and makes me feel alive. Sure, I can get tired of it by Feb or March. A week in a warmer place can be nice then.

-ERD50
Old 08-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #91
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fair enough, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
1) Local liquor laws (it is still illegal to home brew beer in some states). Pres Carter eliminated the Federal ban, but states can be more restrictive.
Liquor laws have to be one of the strangest and most disjointed areas of regulation. Our state restricts liquor sales to the state commissioned stores (operated by each county). But beer/wine can be bought in grocery stores. Liquor can only be sold Mon-Sat, not on Sunday. Beer/wine can be bought anytime except Sundays before noon (spoda be in church LOL ).

Even purchasing liquor can be a trying experience. After a Saturday afternoon stroll with my wife and our young children, we needed to stop by the liquor store to pick up a couple of bottles of liquor (which turned into 6 bottles of liquor). A big sign on the door says no one under 21 allowed. Then a tiny writing underneath that says "children 17 and under allowed in with accompaniment of their guardian or parent". So anyone age 18-20 are completely barred from entering the store even if their parents are present, but 17 year olds can go in anytime a parent is with them. After reading this set of regulations we finally determined we could bring our 2 year old and 4 year old into the store to do our shopping.

I don't get what these regulations are trying to protect against. Are parents not competent to determine whether they allow their children to enter the store with them?

/rant off

Immediately upon entering the ABC store (the name of our liquor stores), my 4 year old immediately noted a complete absence of any ABC's in here.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I don't get what these regulations are trying to protect against. Are parents not competent to determine whether they allow their children to enter the store with them?
Wait until your children are in school. You'll find out that there are many areas where the state feels that parents are incompetent- at least when compared to the state.

Incidentally, I think ABC is "Alcoholic Beverage Commission".

Ha
Old 08-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

In my state, nobody under 21 is allowed in a state licensed liquor/wine store.
That might also be a safety protection with respect to any age children in close proximity to all those glass bottles.
Beer is sold in grocery and convenience stores only. Age limit was 18 for many years, but is now 21.
Stores have signs stating they will proof if you "look under 40". Some do 100% proofing.
I stick with NA beer (<5% alcohol) these days. Yes, I got proofed.
That made my day.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Wait until your children are in school. You'll find out that there are many areas where the state feels that parents are incompetent- at least when compared to the state.
Those other parents need some help in raising their children correctly, just don't interfere with how I raise my youngins!

I like the ABC store for teaching children consumer math lessons. Look, there's the top shelf imported stuff for $45 for a 750 ml. Here's domestic top shelf stuff that is $6 for a 375 ml. Which one should daddy buy?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:23 AM   #96

Daddy should buy the Mad Dog 20/20, it is all about quantity over quality! At least that is what I learned about ABC stores in high school.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what's cuter in the liquor store--small children playing in the Scotch section or underage drinkers trying to score some brewski. Both are just adorable.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

In Virginia there seems to be a movement to proof everyone everywhere if they buy alcohol. A guy in front of me at the supermarket was buying wine and they proofed him - he was 80 years old. My wife still loves being asked to prove she is over 21 :-).
Old 08-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

So, to summarize the recent posts, a savvy LBYM ER wannabe should

1) When in tough times (see this thread title), buy your booze not by the least dollar-per-quart, but rather to maximize the oz. of ethanol per dollar (anyone who knows a source for moonshine, please PM me).

2) Heck, even when not in tough times, it is still smart to follow rule 1 above.

3) If having offsprings, one should always look for occasions to indoctrinate Junior with the LBYM way of life, including booze purchase time. Even make that a quality family time. Turn it into an entertainment outing too, by observing other patrons. Who needs to go to the theaters for recreation?

4) Bring the Missus along and let her pay. The ID check would make her feel good, boost her self-esteem for zero cost. She would forget about the amount that she had to pay, and would not nag you. Everybody wins.

Did I miss anything?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
So, to summarize the recent posts, a savvy LBYM ER wannabe should

1) When in tough times (see this thread title), buy your booze not by the least dollar-per-quart, but rather to maximize the oz. of ethanol per dollar (anyone who knows a source for moonshine, please PM me).

2) Heck, even when not in tough times, it is still smart to follow rule 1 above.

3) If having offsprings, one should always look for occasions to indoctrinate Junior with the LBYM way of life, including booze purchase time. Even make that a quality family time. Turn it into an entertainment outing too, by observing other patrons. Who needs to go to the theaters for recreation?

4) Bring the Missus along and let her pay. The ID check would make her feel good, boost her self-esteem for zero cost. She would forget about the amount that she had to pay, and would not nag you. Everybody wins.

Did I miss anything?
Be sure to Velcro all glass bottles to the shelves.

TY for a great belly laugh.