Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-18-2020, 08:34 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

KC did it to get workers downtown so they can collect the earnings tax.[emoji23]
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2020, 08:46 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Nothing is free. Most, but not all, taxpayers understand that.
too optimistic. some, not most.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:56 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
too optimistic. some, not most.
True
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:39 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

One community nearby offered free parking and rush hour bus service to alleviate terrible traffic jams on a main arterial interstate but no one would use it. The busses travelled up and down the service road with one or two passengers throughout the AM and pm rush.

I recently noticed our little town has a senior citizen transportation service that is door to door service anywhere within town limits for $30/yr.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:12 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
https://www.summitcountyco.gov/586/Transit-Summit-Stage
Summit Stage offers free public transit service within Summit County [Colorado], providing access to our public lands, lodging, town centers, retail areas, and medical centers.
That's great to know. 14 of us are heading there for a ski vacation on 2/15-2/22. Some of us are skiing WildCat in NH today. I'll do some research as the free transport could be handy.
nativenewenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:35 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Our Public Transit system (THE BUS) is very expensive. I've seen estimates (years back) that each ride costs the system over $5.00. BUT "cost" to most riders (single use) is (IIRC) $2.75. For that fare, you can travel virtually around the Island. Also, seniors can purchase a yearly pass (unlimited rides) for (IIRC) $35. It ain't quite free but cost to riders is very much subsidized - especially for seniors. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:51 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

There is a free bus to/from CC Phila to the shipyard. There are no requirements.

The senior rates all over the area are pretty attractive, but exclude rush hour.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:07 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyfrank232 View Post
I live in a place with free healthcare.
Not free, look at your taxes, unless your income is so low you do not pay them.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:57 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyfrank232 View Post
Free healthcare is why Canadians can retire with a lot less anxiety

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newsp...tem/ar-BBYK8o9
It's not free, though. Taxes on the citizens support the single payer system. But we would not mind it at all.
It might mean your other services cost more, too.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:11 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Must every discussion devolve into us v. them?

It’s terrible that we have to pay taxes, and that some of it might help a poor soul get across town on a bus...

Though I must agree that nothing is “free”, so let’s call it “subsidized”, or, something a kindergartner would understand, “sharing”.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:49 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Problem in KC is it generally takes an hour or so to get anyplace via bus. I know many people I work with have looked into it along with hearing about people traveling to the area with the same complaints. In addition KC has a 1% city earning tax for everybody that works in KC or lives in KC pays.
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:29 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Would be nice for senior years. I rode the bus for three years to work and back. The price went up fifty cents a ride in my case seven miles each way. They were running a huge deficit and after looking at the numbers they had published it seemed only a few of us were paying to ride it. Everyone else was riding free for one reason or another. It was cheaper for me to drive after that.
Arizona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:43 AM   #33

Interesting idea, given that farebox recovery is woeful for most public transit. Make it free and save the trouble and cost of collecting fares.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:10 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Interesting idea, given that farebox recovery is woeful for most public transit. Make it free and save the trouble and cost of collecting fares.
My former employers fare box recovery was 23% with a base fare of $2.75.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:05 PM   #35

Staten Island Ferry is my personal favorite!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:08 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Must every discussion devolve into us v. them?

It’s terrible that we have to pay taxes, and that some of it might help a poor soul get across town on a bus...

Though I must agree that nothing is “free”, so let’s call it “subsidized”, or, something a kindergartner would understand, “sharing”.
"Sharing" is a very nice word. I do it often. Sharing is when I see a need and attempt to meet it because I WANT to meet a need. My single biggest retirement budget item is sharing (some call it charity - and NO, much of my sharing is NOT tax deductible.) But when someone else decides with whom I MUST share, then I no longer call it sharing. I can think of a number of words to describe the process, but "sharing" isn't one of them. I'm not saying it's necessarily "wrong" to subsidize something. I'm just saying it is NOT sharing in the traditional sense of that word. Kindergartners may know what sharing is but understanding subsidy is a bit more complicated. It comes up here quite regularly and we never agree completely on WHAT should be subsidized. Discussing public policy (such as subsidies) can bring on Porky, but I just want to correct the record a bit. "Free" isn't free and subsidy is NOT sharing.

Now returning you to our regularly scheduled discussion of "Free" Public Transportation since YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:23 PM   #37

In the greater Atlanta area, we share the gridlock.
No need for subsidies.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:00 PM   #38

free public transportation often morphs into mobile homeless shelter

but look at it from their perspective...one of safest places they could be
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:32 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

OP here, I am surprised at the very negative comments on this thread. Personally I think free public transportation is a great way to reduce traffic, reduce parking problems, help seniors, the handicapped and low income people and reduce pollution (especially if electric buses are used). I can't understand all the negativity. The free bus system where I live is very popular, I have never heard any one say they want to do away with it.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
OP here, I am surprised at the very negative comments on this thread. Personally I think free public transportation is a great way to reduce traffic, reduce parking problems, help seniors, the handicapped and low income people and reduce pollution (especially if electric buses are used). I can't understand all the negativity. The free bus system where I live is very popular, I have never heard any one say they want to do away with it.

I have to agree! My kiddo attends UNC Chapel Hill and we greatly appreciate the public transportation, not just for him, but for the occasions we’ve used it when visiting. It really makes a positive difference in a college town for sure... especially since parking near the University can be difficult.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote