Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2015, 05:50 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't recently read the other threads you started.

What is the proposed cause of action for a lawsuit ?. Are you or others being harassed, mistreated , denied compensation for hours worked ? Or is it the workload keeps being added to and the place really sucks now. ? The latter is not only common, but consultants are hired to re- structure workplaces all over, work everyone and everything just short of the breaking point.

Many business leaders truly consider this essential, and "good business".

Sucks, but is reality in a lot of situations.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Your father's argument can be used to justify working until you die. After you have enough, the marginal value of every dollar earned diminishes.
Right.
There simply comes a time when you fully realize that time is more precious than money. The earlier that realization comes, the better. You're at an age where a great many of us here on this board went into ER.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Your father's argument can be used to justify working until you die. After you have enough, the marginal value of every dollar earned diminishes.

As for boredom, give me boredom any day, rather than a toxic environment. YMMV.

This. I quit 4 years earlier than planned. Under some pretty reasonable assumptions I would have retired with another $million. You know what? It wouldn't have been worth it. I'm likely to die with money left over regardless. You will ALWAYS have that excuse to keep working and will always be nervous about retiring whether you do it now or when you're 80.

A second thought on the lawsuit: do what makes YOU happy. If you'd enjoy seeing them in court, do it. If you'd rather never deal with them again and enjoy the rest of your life, that's OK, too.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Once you leave, you will realize that you were carrying a lot more stress than you even realize.
That was a surprise to me too. DW and I discussed a lot whether leaving good jobs and moving to WV from the DC area was a good idea. The light bulb came on about six months later when my younger sister said "You two look more relaxed than I've seen you in years". That removed any lingering doubt about the wisdom of the move. No amount of money can buy that kind of relaxation.

Francis, you're FI. You've won the game. Why keep playing?
Old 03-30-2015, 04:27 PM   #25

The only reason to care about the lawyer is if there is the prospect of substantial financial gain in a possible lawsuit. This is the same think I'd say if there was the prospect of a substantial severance package. A few months are worth a pile of money but not a few coins.

I've been retired a whole month from what I considered a low stress job. My blood pressure has fallen substantially and I'm sleeping much better. I still think my actual job was low stress but the hour commute each way I think was really getting to me.

As for working past FI, I really understand the "great money" being hard to walk away from. I never dreamed I'd be making the kind of money I made a month ago let alone quitting voluntarily. At a certain point, that extra dollar loses almost all of its value when compared to the unknown number of healthy years you have left. The number of healthy years come into stark focus when you finally admit you really are not up to what you used to be up to.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #26

Quote:
His answer to me thinking about leaving was that I shouldn't. I asked him why? He said you're making good money. I said but I have enough. His answer - you can always have more security. His answer was sincerely what he believes based on his past.
Interesting in that I had almost the same conversation with my father some time ago, with pretty much the same result. Even though he himself had retired early. Maybe it's a dad thing, wanting to make sure kids, even adult kids, won't run out of money.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:47 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Interesting in that I had almost the same conversation with my father some time ago, with pretty much the same result. Even though he himself had retired early. Maybe it's a dad thing, wanting to make sure kids, even adult kids, won't run out of money.
That's interesting. My father retired at 62, a little less than FRA. Was happy to get out. And he did it with *way* less savings than I have. In fact, even tho I told him I have enough savings to retire he doesn't know the exact amount. I think the amount would surprise him very much.

Francis
Old 03-30-2015, 10:16 PM   #28

Francis, I will bet money that after you quit you will kick yourself for not quitting sooner.

The water is great, come on it!