Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Toxic workplace and One More Month Syndrome
Old 03-29-2015, 09:41 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Toxic workplace and One More Month Syndrome

In my previous thread,http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ace-75238.html I detailed how bad work was. Unfortunately, it has become worse and worse as the months pass. They have released all new, younger workers from the hours they were hired for. This means the veteran workers are receiving many off hour assignments and making our lives a living hell. Many more ways they're making it harder only for the older workers. They want the veteran (and of course higher paid) workers to quit. I can financially retire now if I choose to. Questions are:

A number of veteran employees have run this past a labor lawyer. He is interested in gathering the facts and doing something about it. I have nothing to lose as I'm near the end anyway, but is it worth it to rock the boat with the lawyer? I'm sure management will go ballistic.

Also, I think I have OMM syndrome - one more month syndrome. I'm thinking I have three summer holidays on the horizon plus take some vacation days in the summer. Then comes fall and I figure make it till the New year. Then it's cold and make it till spring. Then start cycle over. How do I break out of this? Thanks

Francis
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

If you can talk yourself into continuing to work in what you say is a toxic workplace, is it really toxic?
Old 03-29-2015, 10:20 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think I have OMM syndrome ........ How do I break out of this? -- It's really simple, just do it. People try to make this so complicated but it's really not. You've been thinking about this for quite awhile and discussing with others on this board. If things are as bad as you say, just put it all behind you and move on. Life is too short.

.... is it worth it to rock the boat with the lawyer?
-- Only reason I can think of to do this is if (1) I thought there was a very good chance the employer would be found acting illegally and (2) I strongly wanted to make a point for my personal well being. Even if you won, I can't imagine things would change so quickly and in such a way that you would want to continue to work there. So I'd probably still quit and move on with my life.

Just one guys thoughts.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Read the link you posted and with the level of perfection that is required with your job and the fact the stress and work keep piling up, I'd personally quit tomorrow. I'd be concerned about the stress causing me to make a mistake that could possibly injure or even kill someone. You know you are not doing your best work because of pressure in the workplace, I'd hate to see you have regret about a workplace mistake.

After you have decompressed if you feel like you can look for an occasion fill in or weekend shift if you want to.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

My workplace became toxic with the hiring of a pointy haired boss. I retired and have felt 100% better. I keep in touch with my friends there and it only reinforced that I did the right thing. Sounds like retirement would be the right thing for you too.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post
In my previous thread,http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ace-75238.html I detailed how bad work was. Unfortunately, it has become worse and worse as the months pass. They have released all new, younger workers from the hours they were hired for. This means the veteran workers are receiving many off hour assignments and making our lives a living hell. Many more ways they're making it harder only for the older workers. They want the veteran (and of course higher paid) workers to quit. I can financially retire now if I choose to. Questions are:

A number of veteran employees have run this past a labor lawyer. He is interested in gathering the facts and doing something about it. I have nothing to lose as I'm near the end anyway, but is it worth it to rock the boat with the lawyer? I'm sure management will go ballistic.

Also, I think I have OMM syndrome - one more month syndrome. I'm thinking I have three summer holidays on the horizon plus take some vacation days in the summer. Then comes fall and I figure make it till the New year. Then it's cold and make it till spring. Then start cycle over. How do I break out of this? Thanks

Francis
I think this is common generally with each situation unique. I am facing a hostile environment also. I see no harm in having a labor attorney give you their opinion. I have done something similar.

The question is: why are you there? Are you FI? If so, adios. If not, what options do you have? FWIW - I gave notice and leave this summer - I'd leave sooner but I am contractually obligated to stay.
Travelwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:01 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Francis reading your introduction from '14 I recall you're comfortably FI. So if that's still the case, why the heck can't you go?

In reference to the attorney it's awful tough to prove age discrimination so your chances are low. Would it really matter if there's successful a a suit? You quit because of the hostilities, wouldn't you be eligible? If you're FI why wait or care?

All that aside my choice is head to the door. Life's too short. Once you leave the sense of escape(freedom) will make you never look back.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If the workplace is truly making you sick, get a physician to say so in writing and go on medical leave. Will you ever return to work when leave is exhausted ? who knows ?
Old 03-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #9

Francis, I enjoyed your previous thread too. I was in the one more month scenario in the toxic environment (psycho manager) but I chose to fight it out, and got fired. The silver lining was that I got to collect unemployment, yes, even though I was fired for disobeying a ****bag. Would getting fired in your situation would screw things up for you financially?
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:34 PM   #10

If you are really FI, then do it.. I was also in a toxic environment, I"m a few 100k from being truly FI but lucky my honey still works, and I took the jump. The only thing that forced it for me was we were thinking of moving so I put the house on the market.. which sold in 4 HOURS. I took that as sign, they wanted to move in in less than a month, I also took that as a sign, walked into work and gave 2 weeks notice. Its been about 8 weeks and I haven't felt this good in years. I stay in touch with co-workers who several have been now motivated to find new jobs and one has already left. I walk every day, I get up without stress, I sleep through the entire night, something I haven't done in like 7 years, I haven't even gone to the chiropractor in 8 weeks, something I did every week as I was carrying all my stress in my neck and it was killing me.

I'm just saying there is life after a toxic job.. a much better life, make a plan, create a trigger that causes you to have to take the step (like my house being sold), and move on and enjoy your life.

If you are not FI, then you have to focus on finding a different job.. lives too short.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:38 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

You need to just do it and get out of there, as others have said. I suppose one way to do it would be to actually give notice, so you're committed to a date! Or, you could just start turning down the undesirable hours and get yourself fired. John Galt mentioned unemployment but if you're not planning on working again you wouldn't be collecting it anyway. (And I'm not in favor of pretending to look for a job so you can collect.)

I think it would be fun to get involved in the lawsuit, especially if you're outta there and have no plans for employment in the field again. Management gets held accountable for crappy treatment of employees (or at least they have to sweat a lot and pay lawyers to fight the case) and you can tell the truth with no fear of job repercussions.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #12

Francis...I would say if you have run the numbers and can retire do so. Otherwise quit Naval Gazing, (old timey term), and get on with life.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Francis....what do you think is keeping you there?
Old 03-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

It is only toxic if you let it be....

I was in a bad environment once... I went away on vacation and came back to about 25% more work... and I was already working more hours than I wanted...

A simple talk with the boss got things fixed... I just refused to take on the work... it was now up to them to 'fix' the problem without me... they found a way...

So, just say you are unwilling to do what you really do not want to do... simple... instead of quitting, it is now on their shoulder to figure something out... it might put someone else that works there in a worse spot, but who cares.... they will be if you leave...

What is the worse that can happen... they fire you.... well, OK thanks... bye bye....
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

The other 'advantage' of joining a lawsuit is that if something untoward does happen as a result of their practices the information could be used to hold management accountable.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:50 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Francis, I enjoyed your previous thread too. I was in the one more month scenario in the toxic environment (psycho manager) but I chose to fight it out, and got fired. The silver lining was that I got to collect unemployment, yes, even though I was fired for disobeying a ****bag. Would getting fired in your situation would screw things up for you financially?
No, getting fired would be OK. I am FI. Coworkers told me just call in sick too often and they'd eventually can me. A few of my coworkers went to HR about what is going on. HR was going to interview all of us. Then, all of a sudden, they cancelled all interviews. I heard our Director told HR to let her handle the department and to stay out. So HR steps back. That's when the lawyer came in as there are no other options.

Francis
Old 03-29-2015, 04:07 PM   #17

Once I'm "in the catbird seat" I remain civil and respectful but don't take the BS. If they continue to poke the bear then I may resort to other measures like a lawyer if it appears that they are not responsive to how they are abusing others.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:16 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Francis....what do you think is keeping you there?
This is a good question. Why do I stay if I'm FI. Well I had a talk with my father about leaving /retiring call it whatever. My father is older, I only say that because he was a small boy during the Depression. His family was very poor, his father died earlier. He and his siblings had to try and support their mother and themselves as youngsters.

His answer to me thinking about leaving was that I shouldn't. I asked him why? He said you're making good money. I said but I have enough. His answer - you can always have more security. His answer was sincerely what he believes based on his past.

Why do I stay? Routine, doing it for so many years, work ethic, earn decent money. I see I didn't list enjoying anything about my job. When I look at it objectively my job is nothing like what it was in the past 30 years.

A little concern about boredom long term. Sure I have activities but filling up the days 24/7 got me thinking a little. In my area I know I could work a day or two and fill in(not where I work now) so that's an option if I need some professional mental stimulation.

Francis
Old 03-29-2015, 04:48 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post
His answer to me thinking about leaving was that I shouldn't. I asked him why? He said you're making good money. I said but I have enough. His answer - you can always have more security. His answer was sincerely what he believes based on his past.
Your father's argument can be used to justify working until you die. After you have enough, the marginal value of every dollar earned diminishes.

As for boredom, give me boredom any day, rather than a toxic environment. YMMV.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Once you leave, you will realize that you were carrying a lot more stress than you even realize. I'm in the camp that says you only have one life, make the most of what is left of it.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote