Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have a 2012 Prius and love it. We replaced a Mercedes 400 SL so went from 15 mpg to just over 40 mpg. Our car has a power mode which gives you all the power needed to pass.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I've been eyeing a Prius C as my possible next car.

But I don't know when, and I'll probably get it used.

A neighbor has a white Prius V.
Warning on the Prius C - it is NOT based on the Prius chassis (I think it is based on the Yaris) and Consumer Reports does not recommend it. Suggest heading to your local library to read up on it before you go that direction.

The "regular" Prius and the Prius V are based on the Prius chassis.

I have a 2010 Prius and it's my favorite car ever. Gas mileage of course is great, especially once you learn how to drive it efficiently, but as others have mentioned it is roomy inside for a small car (I regularly have 3 adult passengers join me for a 180 mile round-trip drive to attend a meeting and no one complains). I also love the split fold down rear seat and hatchback with removable cover for when I need to haul something around. Very comfortable driving position (even without electric seats) and intuitive controls (not like the Ford rental car I had recently where I couldn't even figure out how to adjust the heat). I've had mine since June 2010 and so far the only maintenance is 2 oil changes and keeping the tire pressures up (very important for mileage).

PriusChat is definitely the place to go to learn about the car - you'll enjoy it more as well as learn how to get the best mileage for your purposes (whether or not you are a hyper miler).

MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

38 to 42 mpg on a Camry hybrid. What else can I say?
Old 03-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
38 to 42 mpg on a Camry hybrid. What else can I say?
44 to 54 mpg on a Prius...you gas guzzler.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

2011 Prius III. Always in the low 50s mpg. Has plenty of pep imho...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I drive a Jetta TDI (turbo injected diesel, for those who don't know) and get 46 MPG all over driving. It's got a ton of torque and just plain fun to drive. Plus, it is German built with all the quality and performance features. I suppose when I get old enough to not have the desire for a real driving machine, I'll look into an appliance like a Prius or similar. But at almost 70, I'm not there yet.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for all your posts. Most appreciated. I have jumped onto the Prius Chat and gaining a lot of info there also. I can't wait to get this car. To keep the cost down and after much haggling, we decided on the level 3 trim, but the dealer will have the interior redone in leather to suit our needs. I've noticed on various sites how much bigger the Prius V is over the standard Prius. I'm impressed. Thaks again.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

50 mpg? Slackers!

A few years back I was getting +100 mpg * in a mini-van. Six-cylinder, 3.3 Liter - plenty of power for passing.

* OK, that is 100 mpg per person - 5 people on the highway at over 20 mpg.

-ERD50
Old 03-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a 2009 Prius. If all I do is city driving then I get about 42 mpg. If I do all highway driving I get 50 mpg. I do a mix of both so my regular milage is about 44-46 mpg. I don't do anything special in my driving technique
Old 03-04-2013, 12:29 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a 2006, with over 130k miles on it. I get 43-47mpg most of the time. When I'm in lots of traffic, I tend to try to give myself enough room so I don't have to gas/brake/gas/break too often, and try to coast more, which can be quite hard to do in CA.

Did have problems with a water pump at some point, a headlight issue specific to my year prius, and some of the buttons on my steering wheel no longer work, unless I'm in the middle of a turn.

I love the hatchback, you can fit amazing amounts of stuff into it. I use the bluetooth for handsfree cell phone calls, and even though my nav system is really out of date, I still use it pretty frequently.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:22 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I drive a Jetta TDI (turbo injected diesel, for those who don't know) and get 46 MPG all over driving. It's got a ton of torque and just plain fun to drive. Plus, it is German built with all the quality and performance features. I suppose when I get old enough to not have the desire for a real driving machine, I'll look into an appliance like a Prius or similar. But at almost 70, I'm not there yet.
We bought hybrids for lower emissions as well as higher mpg. Compared with the Prius, the Jetta TDI is somewhat less stingy with a gallon of fuel and emits roughly twenty times more nitrous oxide, almost three times more hydrocarbons, and twice as much carbon monoxide, even though it's wildly clean by historic diesel standards.

If you're not concerned with emissions, the TDI is a mpg contender.

And I'll take Toyota quality and reliability over VW any day. Don't take my word for it, check CR or whatever resource you like.

YMMV

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
My car is better than your car, (continued)
Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

My car is better than your car, (continued)

My hybrid pulls my camper and seats five, but only get 36 MPG.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3698.jpg (790.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
44 to 54 mpg on a Prius...you gas guzzler.
:-) Mia culpa. :-)