Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Your phone went through the wash, and you let it dry thoroughly. Did it work again?
Yes 6 37.50%
No 8 50.00%
Other 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm also curious about the SIM card. Is this a CDMA phone? I thought they switched to using them too, but maybe the lower end phones have not yet.

Every bare-bones-cheap-skate-no-feature phone I've owned for many years has had a SIM, because they are GSM based and it's standard for GSM. It's a very good thing, you can save an older phone as a backup, or swap SIMS to test a phone, or buy an unlocked one cheap (ask your friends who get a new phone every year for their cast-offs).

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations! I'm happy it is still working.

When I had a Net 10 (part of tracfone) phone it had a sim card. It was incredibly frustrating because the phone number had been previously used by someone who had bill collectors chasing him and I could not get them to stop the calls so just let the phone expire.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Were your SIMs interchangeable or did you have to have a new SIM for each new phone?
Every time I got a new phone it was included in my one year renewal and came with a new SIM so I never tried to swap a current one with an old phone. It would be cool if I could.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Congratulations! I'm happy it is still working.

When I had a Net 10 (part of tracfone) phone it had a sim card. It was incredibly frustrating because the phone number had been previously used by someone who had bill collectors chasing him and I could not get them to stop the calls so just let the phone expire.
That is independent of SIM no-SIM. That's just the result of getting a new phone #. I'm guessing that they tend to re-assign pre-pay phone #'s back to pre-pay customers. Since these are no-contract-no-credit-check required, there seems to be a better (worse?) chance of getting the phone # of someone who owed bills or were criminals or had different sleep patterns.

Ask for a new #. When I switched recently, I wasn't ready to port our old number until I knew I liked the service, and we kept getting bill collector calls. So then I ported our old number (it had expired, but was still available).

TIP: Porting from a pre-pay phone is slightly different than from a contract phone. They will ask you for your 'account #' (I thought I didn't have an account?). The nice lady handling my request (apparently with 5 other people in the same cube, because I kept hearing 6 conversations at once, which didn't help), who hopefully is fluent in some language other than English, acted as if my phone number was good enough as that's the only number I have (you would think they would know, since this is what they do!). So, 24 hrs later, and no port, I called again, and at least got to another tier. And *that* person told me I would need to call my old provider and get the account number (and it's a number I never saw before) and call back. The port went through in minutes once I had that.

-ERD50