Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Tracking Shipment....Fedex--->USPS
Old 12-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tracking Shipment....Fedex--->USPS

Anyone ever tracked Fedex shipped where the final leg is USPS?
Fedex was fine.....could see progress and occasional backtracking.
Then it seemed to have gotten stuck with no progress for 24hrs.
Belatedly I realized that SmartPost location might be the transition to USPS
so I rushed to check on USPS. No success.

What is your experience with this Fedex to USPS handoff?
Use same tracking number throughout? Is there typically a delay in reporting at the handoff due to USPS not reporting? Or is there a period when it doesn't move due to no handoff to USPS?

A google link to a retailer's site suggested that due to formatting issues that you couldn't just copy/paste from the Fedex site to USPS but had to type it in.
No success either way.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Anyone ever tracked Fedex shipped where the final leg is USPS?
Fedex was fine.....could see progress and occasional backtracking.
Then it seemed to have gotten stuck with no progress for 24hrs.
Belatedly I realized that SmartPost location might be the transition to USPS
so I rushed to check on USPS. No success.

What is your experience with this Fedex to USPS handoff?
Use same tracking number throughout? Is there typically a delay in reporting at the handoff due to USPS not reporting? Or is there a period when it doesn't move due to no handoff to USPS?

A google link to a retailer's site suggested that due to formatting issues that you couldn't just copy/paste from the Fedex site to USPS but had to type it in.
No success either way.
I have found nothing consistent in the reporting except that it is very inconsistent. I find that the USPS is the worst of the big 3, but it has gotten better over the last 6 months. But, for the most part, the tracking number sticks with the original shipping company.

I'm almost ashamed to admit that we have had 82 packages delivered via Amazon over the last 6 months!
Old 12-17-2016, 08:52 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I have found that a day or two can go by between the handoff before the usps tracking gives results.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:03 AM   #4

I've found that USPS tracking is only good to know when something is put in my mailbox. Keeps me from walking down the street until I know it's there. But USPS tracking doesn't usually show much progress until it is actually delivered.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:17 AM   #5

Thanks all! Good to know real world experience. My only experience with USPS tracking is for certified mail/taxes. I used to get the return receipt then tried to save a few buck by just tracking it online. The initial point of delivery to PO usually showed but cashing of the check usually beat confirmation of delivery.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #6

With USPS tracking, the only status I rely upon are " Out for delivery" and
" Delivered at mailbox".

The rest of the tracking on USPS is spotty .

I ordered something online, and accidentally used the wrong zip code. Package went to the PO on the wrong zip code . The package went round trip twice between the wrong PO and the regional mail center. I put in a request with USPS to change the delivery , asking to hold at the " wrong " Post office.
After 2 visits to that PO , first said it has not arrived, second visit, a supervisor said "the hold request came in too late, package is already on way back to sender "..............This was about 60 days ago. Sender never got the package returned, USPS Tracking says it's still at the PO requested for hold. I gave up.

On the bright side, the local PO has cut back lobby hours , staffing and has a whole fleet of spiffy new vans.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:49 AM   #7

Funny you should mention it. Tracked my package through FedEx transit and handoff to USPS. Despite my specific instructions on my USPS account to leave the package at the front door (they always do), I just learned via my USPS account the idiot USPS delivery employee scanned the package just moments ago as no one home (I was/am) and the package will now be delivered the next business day. Which means the package will be delivered two days later than planned as tomorrow is Sunday.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #8

USPS does deliver on Sunday. I have had Amazon packages come on a Sunday.

- Rita
Old 12-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #9

Yes, but Sunday is not considered a "business day" which is when the USPS site said delivery would be "attempted" again. I don't understand what part of "leave at the front door" they don't get....
Old 12-17-2016, 01:30 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

This is my biggest beef about Amazon lately with "prime" shipping my zip ends in a 9 which it's out in the boonies, so my handoff it takes twice as long as it should.
Time is not always the issue but we've had the same UPs and FedEx drivers for years and they will open my garage and put things away out of sight..USPS not so much I've had mail pieces just sitting at the front door, or get the cannot deliver card!!
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:27 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

For me it's been pretty good. When UPS or FedEx hands off to the USPS, it's done at my local Post Office. They (UPS or FedEx) update their site info immediately and I know the package is there waiting for me at my PO Box. No need for me to then track VIA USPS.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:29 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
For me it's been pretty good. When UPS or FedEx hands off to the USPS, it's done at my local Post Office. They (UPS or FedEx) update their site info immediately and I know the package is there waiting for me at my PO Box. No need for me to then track VIA USPS.
I work for the USPS as a part-time clerk in a relatively small town. (Disclaimer -- I do not speak for my employer and what I say is not necessarily what "the book" says but it is my experience in how things are done in our office.)

When UPS and FedEx come to drop ship their SurePost and SmartPost parcels (respectively) we sign for a manifest that allows UPS/FedEx to quickly scan the manifest and say all the parcels in that manifest have been "transferred to the USPS for delivery" or something like that. At some later point the clerks scan all those packages as "arrival at unit". (Note -- that does NOT yet mean the package is ready for pickup!)

This is where USPS tracking *should* start showing activity -- when USPS scanners acknowledge arrival. Generally, delivery will be attempted no later than the next business day (Monday - Saturday, except for closed businesses on Saturday). Sometimes parcels going to PO boxes will be attempted or delivered the same day.

One thing to remember is that the clerks may still have old style scanners that only upload data when the scanner is physically cradled. (Most carriers now have scanners with wireless tech that updates status in near real time). So if a clerk scans something for arrival, or ready for pickup, or as delivered into a PO box, it won't show up until those scanners are physically cradled to upload the data (which can be several hours, but better practice is to cradle more frequently especially if you have multiple scanners so you can dock one and pick up another to start using).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

When UPS and FedEx come to drop ship their SurePost and SmartPost parcels (respectively) we sign for a manifest that allows UPS/FedEx to quickly scan the manifest and say all the parcels in that manifest have been "transferred to the USPS for delivery" or something like that. At some later point the clerks scan all those packages as "arrival at unit". (Note -- that does NOT yet mean the package is ready for pickup!)

This is where USPS tracking *should* start showing activity -- when USPS scanners acknowledge arrival. Generally, delivery will be attempted no later than the next business day (Monday - Saturday, except for closed businesses on Saturday). Sometimes parcels going to PO boxes will be attempted or delivered the same day.
Interesting details. In my experience (so far), as a customer, whenever I see the UPS or FedEx website updated to show that they have dropped off my package at my local PO, it's always been ready for pickup at my PO box as soon as I can get there. Sometimes I get there pretty quick (an hour or two) Not sure what's happening behind the scenes but it works for me.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:34 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Interesting details. In my experience (so far), as a customer, whenever I see the UPS or FedEx website updated to show that they have dropped off my package at my local PO, it's always been ready for pickup at my PO box as soon as I can get there. Sometimes I get there pretty quick (an hour or two) Not sure what's happening behind the scenes but it works for me.
It can be ready within minutes of arrival, but it's not a guarantee. The stuff for the PO box section is probably more likely to be ready faster. Normally the stuff for route delivery will wait for the next morning to be "out for delivery" or attempted. The PO box stuff can sometimes be worked quickly and scanned in as delivered or attempted shortly after the delivery scan -- and in a smaller town they usually are.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:37 PM   #15

I have Amazon trained. They never use USPS because USPS will not deliver to my address and always send packages back with some lame excuse like I refused delivery or I moved.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I have Amazon trained. They never use USPS because USPS will not deliver to my address and always send packages back with some lame excuse like I refused delivery or I moved.

How did you train them? We have huge problems with USPS and Amazon keeps sending via OnTrak, which uses USPS for local delivery.
Lake161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake161 View Post
How did you train them? We have huge problems with USPS and Amazon keeps sending via OnTrak, which uses USPS for local delivery.
I talked to the Amazon support reps on the phone. I had to get to a high enough level that something could be done. If you just have bad service, they will probably try to work with USPS to get it straightened out. They can set a flag on your account that will tell them not to ship via USPS. To keep this flag in place, I cannot change or update any of my address information. The flag got reset and a couple of years ago and I had to go through the process again but has worked ever since. A caution that this only works for orders fulfilled by Amazon. If another company fulfills an order, they know nothing about the flag.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:37 PM   #18

Sure-Post is known as Slow-Post. Both UPS and Fedex have these hand off services and everyone hates them both. It would be faster to just do USPS priority the whole way. I guess it's some low-tier pricing that Fed/UPS offer to take some business from USPS but lordy does it suck. a Ground delivery from cross-country would be max 7 days. With these hybrids it can be 10, with 2-3 days lost in the handoff, usually done very close to your home.

USPS in general tracking is spotty, certain hubs better than others. Certain carriers better than others. Even stuff scanned "delivered" - yeah maybe tomorrow... not ironclad.

USPS does Not deliver on Sundays. What you are seeing is USPS sub-contracted to Amazon to do Amazon deliveries only on sundays. They are not delivering or picking up USPS mail.

I have recently signed up for "my usps" which is cool - gives me a dashboard and shows what is en route in their system to my address, with tracking and status in one place.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:01 PM   #19

Note that I now see shipments carried to the local postoffice by Amazon's own transport. No longer are FedEx or UPS involved at all. If you watch shipments marked USPS you see that USPS tracking in this case only starts at the local post office. (Actually you sometimes see the same thing with UPS/Fedex shipments they travel a ways on Amazon vehicles, and then end up at a big city distribution center.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #20

I take it back--USPS left the package at the front door exactly three hours after the first attempt. What I do like about USPS is I have text alerts so I was alerted immediately after the package was left.