Join Early Retirement Today

Trade 2 cars for one?
Old 04-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Trade 2 cars for one?

I have a 2005 Camry and 2011 Corolla, both of which are low mileage vehicles. I am thinking of going the one vehicle route and buying a new Camry and trading in the above two cars as we really do not need 2 cars now.

Has anyone ever bought a new car and traded in 2 older ones?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have never traded in 2 cars. But have you thought about selling one or both cars yourself on Autotrader or something similar? Or sell to Carmax? I haven't had much difficulty selling my old cars.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Unless a new car dealer really needs the used cars you are trading in, it's unlikely they will pay you their market value. From a strict $$ perspective, I'd think it best to sell them as separate transactions to a person/dealer who will give you the most.

Regarding one vs two cars: I'm sure you've already given it a lot of thought, but one car wouldn't work for DW and I even though we don't put many miles on them. A second car that is driven only occasionally is cheap to keep and gives us flexibility when one car is in the shop, when we need to be at separate places, etc.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Is it really that you want a new car? If so, then it really does not matter if you trade them in, sell them or even give them away... the dealer does not care you are trading in two cars except that they get to make more profit on you....

I would think about how good are these cars and if I were OK with them... if so, I would probably keep both and drive both... I have been a two car (or more) person for many years...

When I was single I had two cars when I was young... for more than 20 years... got married and then had 3.... then mom stopped driving and had 4... DS started to drive and back to 3.... totaled out my favorite car and down to 2 (one for me and one for DW).... sis sold me her nice car and back to 3... daughter will start to drive in a couple of years and will be back to 2 (me, DW)....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

DW did. Well actually she sold one vehicle to Carmax and traded the other in. Both were vehicles that would go quickly on a used car lot.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:29 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have. I traded a '89 Caprice Classic and a '96 Chevy Blazer and some cash for my '07 Trailblazer about 4 years ago. We were all pleased with the deal, and we just passed the 100,000 miles on the odometer in January.
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
In heaven we re-unite with all our deceased vehicles
Old 04-19-2018, 01:42 PM   #7

In heaven we re-unite with all our deceased vehicles

Back in 1984 I traded two old, high-mileage, leprous (Midwestern winters = salt baths) heaps in on one new Dodge Caravan. I had tried to sell them, but the rust was so bad nobody would touch them.

The dealer offered me $500 per clunker toward the minivan. Sold!
Old 04-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

On a similar note, we traded (Not Literally as we leased) 2 cars for one 3 years ago. I am considering getting a second car again. While we really do not need another car, I think I prefer having 2 for the "Just in Case" scenario. If Wifey want to go to lunch with friends and it is her turn to drive, I have one to go to home depot to get parts to fix the toilet......
Old 04-20-2018, 07:00 AM   #9
gone traveling

Back in 2014, we traded in an old Civic and Forester and purchased an Acura RDX. I had a reasonable idea of what the trade-ins were worth and held out for a decent price for the trades and new car, although it took some effort and patience. Getting by with one car for DW and I was OK, until my DD moved out. Previously, I had periodic access to DD's car. Eventually added my own car, so we are now back to two cars, but as we age the thought of one car might be something to revisit in the next several years.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:19 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
My Dad just did about a year ago. He traded two Honda Accords (both about three years old) in on a new Honda Accord when he lost his license due to vision/age. My sister, who lives with my Dad, drivers the new one (exclusively). The dealer ended up giving my Dad a check as his two trade-ins were worth more than the new car.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #11

We currently have 2 cars that are both 2007’s. One has 120K miles and the other 160K. They both still look good and run great. We’ve considered going down to one and possibly replacing it with a golf cart, or not replacing it at all. We live in an urban community where we can either walk, bike, or take Uber just about anywhere we’d want to go. There is also a bus stop very close to our condo. However, since we ER’d, we don’t put much mileage on the cars so maintenance costs have dropped quite a bit. Insurance is still pricey, but with the lower gas and maintenance, the cost of keeping two vs one is not that different. And two is definitely more convenient.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yep, several times.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

yep, I traded a 57 belair and 69 riv for a 92 dodge dakota, back in 1992

that was my first new vehicle, obtained at the tender age of 28