Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Marty, Marathons went downhill in quality when they stopped mfg them in the US/Canada. The common term for them in the RV world now is "China Bombs"...

Wow, I didn't know that! That's a drag. I looked on CR and didn't even find any trailer tire ratings. Either I did the search wrong or they just don't rate them anymore. I still see them (Marathons) on new boat trailers, outfitted that way from the factory, but of course that doesn't mean anything. Thanks for the update and the head's up, since I'll be in the market for a boat before long....

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Wow, I didn't know that! That's a drag. I looked on CR and didn't even find any trailer tire ratings. Either I did the search wrong or they just don't rate them anymore. I still see them (Marathons) on new boat trailers, outfitted that way from the factory, but of course that doesn't mean anything. Thanks for the update and the head's up, since I'll be in the market for a boat before long....

From the little research that I can find, it has been the last few years that has made the difference... when they started to bring them in from China... my BIL said he bought the old bias tires since they are made in the US....

I also think that the tire mfgs just do not care... the tires I got have a speed rating letter that indicates it can do over 100 mph... but you see other place where they say not to go over 65... I think that is BS... there are speed limits of 70 all over the place... a tire should be designed to handle normal posted speeds... plus some margin of safety...

On a side note... I had bought a 4 way lug wrench.... and it bent!!!... and when I applied some more pressure... it SPLIT I took it back and the guy said he had never saw one split before... when we got another to exchange.... the new one felt a LOT heavier and you could tell it was made better... I think I had bought one that was a fake....

Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
............On a side note... I had bought a 4 way lug wrench.... and it bent!!!... and when I applied some more pressure... it SPLIT I took it back and the guy said he had never saw one split before... when we got another to exchange.... the new one felt a LOT heavier and you could tell it was made better... I think I had bought one that was a fake....
This is entirely your fault. You should have specified that you wanted the properly manufactured one.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #24

This kind of stuff just really ticks me off. I work in a production environment as a QA guy for the DoD in a hi-tech manufacturing facility. My number one job is to make sure hardware is manufactured properly, meeting contract requirements. There are very high production standards, and rarely does any defect escape. I not only deal with hardware being produced, I audit the contractor's Quality Management System too. I work very closely with the contractor's Quality Management team. I'm DAWIA Level II certified in PQM, Production Quality & Manufacturing. On top of that, 3rd party auditors do the same thing. It really concerns me that we (USA) are doing more and more business with companies outside the US that don't have anything close to a real Quality oversight system. We're settling for junk products that are making their way into our everyday lives, even into defense related products sometimes. It's scary, and it weakens our economy and infrastructure.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
..........We're settling for junk products that are making their way into our everyday lives, even into defense related products sometimes. It's scary, and it weakens our economy and infrastructure.
Good point. I'll mention it to the guys at Harbor Freight, next time I'm in there buying tools.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #26

Quote:
On a side note... I had bought a 4 way lug wrench.... and it bent!!!... and when I applied some more pressure... it SPLIT ....
Wow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg incredible-hulk-wallpaper-l.jpg (411.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Good point. I'll mention it to the guys at Harbor Freight, next time I'm in there buying tools.

That sounds like a good place to buy one of those exploding lug wrenches...

Old 06-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I can second the feedback about proper pressure and more importantly regular use. I've only recently begun to have trailer tire issues as my boat is sitting for longer and longer periods of time instead of being used almost every weekend year round.

Here is the last tire I destroyed on a houseboat trip last year.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadR View Post
I can second the feedback about proper pressure and more importantly regular use. I've only recently begun to have trailer tire issues as my boat is sitting for longer and longer periods of time instead of being used almost every weekend year round.

Here is the last tire I destroyed on a houseboat trip last year.

LOL... I did not take pics of mine, but one looked worse.... the other I was looking in the mirror when the tread peeled off so we were able to get to the side of the road quick enough so it did not get to bad...

Your rims look like mine... maybe it is a rim thing
Old 06-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This kind of stuff just really ticks me off. . . It really concerns me that we (USA) are doing more and more business with companies outside the US that don't have anything close to a real Quality oversight system. We're settling for junk products that are making their way into our everyday lives, even into defense related products sometimes. It's scary, and it weakens our economy and infrastructure.
I like the option of being able to buy tools and items of lower quality. I wouldn't want a cheapo heart valve, but I've bought many cheap Harbor Freight tools that have been good enough for my purposes. I wouldn't want to earn my living with these tools, but I've gotten great value out of hammer drills, circular saws, hydraulic jacks, chop saws, etc that were 1/3 the price of high-quality tools. I don't need mil-spec bearings in every tool I use.
What I think we could use is better third-party testing and consumer reporting. Consumer Reports (Consumers Union) does a bang-up job with cars, appliances, car tires, etc, but they don't do everything. We've got this tremendous information infrastructure now, if only there were some way for a truly impartial third party to make money doing reviews of "everything else". Right now I'd be happy to pay a few bucks to learn about trailer tires before I buy replacements for my (cheap, great working) Harbor Freight utility trailer. There are probably boating web sites with user opinions/surverys on tires, but I'd be surprised to see testing, and I'd be suspicious of their impartiality.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #31

Many years ago I needed a steering wheel puller. I went to the auto parts store and paid about $30 for a good-quality one. That was probably 35 + years ago, and I haven't used that tool since. Probably never will in my lifetime. I can see how less expensive tools might be an ok option for things that see limited use.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Many years ago I needed a steering wheel puller. I went to the auto parts store and paid about $30 for a good-quality one. That was probably 35 + years ago, and I haven't used that tool since. Probably never will in my lifetime. I can see how less expensive tools might be an ok option for things that see limited use.

I do not disagree.... but a lug wrench is not one that I would want where it actually tore so I could not remove the lug nuts... something that can strand you out in the middle of nowhere is worth more to me...

BUT, the one I bought was not cheaper... IMO it was a fake of the real one... it had the same label on it and cost the same.... just made out of cheap metal....
Old 06-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
What I think we could use is better third-party testing and consumer reporting. Consumer Reports (Consumers Union) does a bang-up job with cars, appliances, car tires, etc, but they don't do everything. We've got this tremendous information infrastructure now, if only there were some way for a truly impartial third party to make money doing reviews of "everything else".
Pawnshops. It's where contractor high-quality tools go to die.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Good luck with the new tires, If you want more information on tire design, I was exhausted reading Michelin, Firestone & others when I replaced my RV tires. There is exact tires for steer, drive, trailer, regional, OTR etc. Those were a bit larger, but the technologies are similiar.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

You should also make sure your wheel bearings are nice and full of grease and not dried out. The better they roll the less prone to blow outs.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #36

Quote:

I recently bought a small boat... we went camping this past weekend and had a tire blow out going to the lake.... and another tire blow out coming home...

Does anybody here have any knowledge on trailer tires I need to get some new ones soon as we are going to go on another trip in two weeks...
What does a small boat and trailer weigh?
Quote:
From what I have read and been told, no. A car and truck tire is designed different than a trailer tire.
I wonder how a light boat trailer tire differs from the back wheel of a car or light truck. Any engineers here are welcome to tell me, remembering that this is a light boat (my definition is < 2,5000 lbs on the trailer tires). My DD hauls a See-Doo and trailer. The whole thing weighs < 1,000 pounds, what is a light boat?

I'd certainly understand that there is a big difference between car and light truck tires and those needed for a 5th wheel trailer but what about a 'light boat'.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
What does a small boat and trailer weigh?

I wonder how a light boat trailer tire differs from the back wheel of a car or light truck. Any engineers here are welcome to tell me, remembering that this is a light boat (my definition is < 2,5000 lbs on the trailer tires). My DD hauls a See-Doo and trailer. The whole thing weighs < 1,000 pounds, what is a light boat?

I'd certainly understand that there is a big difference between car and light truck tires and those needed for a 5th wheel trailer but what about a 'light boat'.

Back from another adventure with the boat.... but the new tires worked just fine..

The boat weighs in at about 2200 lbs... add 200 or so for gas, 900 for the trailer and say another 100 for gear... total of 3400...

The tires are rated a bit above 1800, so two can carry 3600+.... not a lot of extra room...

From what I saw, a car tire is rated for less weight... they also have sidewalls and tread for steering and braking... trailer tires just need to roll and carry weight....