Join Early Retirement Today

Transcendental meditation experience
Old 06-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Transcendental meditation experience

Does anyone here practice (or used to practice) TM? Have you taken their course and did you find it helpful? How does TM differ from other types of meditation out there?
Based on what I have heard, TM seems to be basically concentrating on a mantra while remaining silent for a period of time. But if they teach courses on it, one would think there were more to it.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's not nearly as easy as it sounds.

I prefer yoga. Similar effect.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #3

I went through a TM class back in the 80's and although I'm a believer in meditation and the benefits it provides I was totally turned off by the TM business model and their constant push to get you to buy more TM products and classes. As I recall they spent as much class time pushing product as they did meditation instruction. That was ~30 years ago so I have no idea if they still operate the same way. In any case you don't need to go through a class to learn how to meditate, there are plenty of books available that will guide you through it. There are different meditation techniques, not sure one is any better than another.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

My homepage scrolled some MarketWatch headlines this morning, interestingly one of them was about meditation.

13 ways to meditate without sitting like a monk - Paul B. Farrell - MarketWatch
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #5

I do the petting puppies, or watching birds meditation.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #6

I do TM when DW is talking.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #7

Quote:
I prefer yoga. Similar effect.
Ditto. As good for your body as it is for your mind.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

A method that worked for me when I had easy access to an unobstructed pool lane was to meditate focusing on breathing while doing the crawl stroke. It tended to fail when I started paying attention to speed, or a better approach to the wall for turns, but if I just cruised along it was very nice.

Most of the things Farrell mentions I feel would likely not work.

Ha
Old 06-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did do the course last year and have meditated daily since. It is possible to do some google searches to find the mantras and the technique so you could certainly do a "DIY" instruction. I'm glad I did it though - paying and going through the instruction psychologically made it a commitment for me. And doing it regularly has been wonderful. I wish I'd started years ago. I never felt pressured to pay more, though there were hints about "advanced" instruction and meditation days.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

If you want to try meditation don't bother paying for all this nonsense about a personal mantra. Just follow the steps described in The Relaxation Response. You don't even need to read the book, the steps are available on their web site.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #11

DW took their course 30+ years ago, kind of liked the meditation but not the organization. Lots of ways to meditate, TM is a mantra practice and that can be a powerful approach. I meditate a bit (just returned from a 3 day Zen retreat) which is more breath, walking and koan (question) meditation. I sit regularly with Sri Lankan monks who do a loving kindness meditation which is 'sloppy' by zen standards but is powerfully heart opening. My regular practice is a dance/movement; the monks laugh at it but it works for me. Just find one that works for you.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:46 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post

Occasionally, I will do this too. My mantra during this is ...."I wish she would quit talking"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
My regular practice is a dance/movement; the monks laugh at it but it works for me.
You mean social dancing with a woman, or some kind of patterned solo dance movements?

Ha
Old 06-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #14

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5Rhythms

Generally like described here , also Sufi style as well
Old 06-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
Guilty also. However, I also realize that she talks "so much" because she wants to be close and I'm happy for that part. One of the more enlightening books I ever read was Deborah Tannen's You Just Don't Understand! Women and Men in Conversation. There is a later edition than the one I linked to.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
If you want to try meditation don't bother paying for all this nonsense about a personal mantra. Just follow the steps described in The Relaxation Response. You don't even need to read the book, the steps are available on their web site.

Donheff is right - the steps on the website are almost precisely what you learn to do on a TM course. So why do a course? I think there is value in being guided, in having the support of a group as you practice intensely over three days, in feeling that you have made a commitment of time and money. Not necessary for everyone, to be sure. But doing this on a regular basis really does take commitment.

Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
5Rhythms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Generally like described here , also Sufi style as well
Thanks; very interesting practice.

Ha
Old 06-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd852 View Post
Donheff is right - the steps on the website are almost precisely what you learn to do on a TM course.
Agree that the steps listed are somewhat common to most meditation techniques. Step one probably could use some elaboration.

1. Sit quietly in a comfortable position.

Don't get too comfortable. If you try and meditate while sitting in your favorite recliner you'll probably spend more time sleeping than meditating. You'll see a lot of photos of people meditating in the lotus position. Do it if you can but the reality is most guys aren't flexible enough to be comfortable in that position. I made and use a meditation stool/bench and found that works the best for me, very comfortable as long as your kneeling on something soft.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #19

I think the bottom line is you want to find an activity to focus your attention as completely as possible. This achieves two things:

1) You (also known as your brain) gets better at focusing on things. Like lifting weights for your brain

2) You get better at NOT FOCUSING on stuff. When you get good at focusing you are automatically also not focusing on something else. This is about letting your brain get rest.

A meditation I developed for myself involves sitting quietly and scanning the field of vision infront of me from one side to the other taking notice of ONLY one color at a time...usually in ROYGBIV order. First pass-only the red things, then next pass only the orange things, etc.

As you get good you really do not see some of the yellow or blue things until it is time to notice them...it is quite cool to realize, "hey that little sign has blue on it and I did not see it the first 4 times I "looked" at it!"

urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.