Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2016, 10:05 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I hate getting emails from a couple. It's confusing (why is an email about a women's activity coming from someone called John?), I don't know to whom I am replying and do I'm not sure what I can write. In fact I find it creepy, as if the SO is "watching".
+1. The only thing more creepy is when you IM for a minute or two and find out that's the other person you are talking to. Reminds of me of Seinfeld episode with the husband and wife with similar sounding voices .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2016, 10:05 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Does having all your personal data (email, address book, calendar) in the cloud creep any of you out? I'm a bit hesitant, but when I think about it I guess perhaps it is not a big deal as I'm not a particularly nefarious character.

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

6. Why do you need Outlook?

Know that gmail automatically flags certain emails as junk and transfers them to the junk folder. Some are obviously junk, like the penis enhancers, but occasionally, legitimate emails end up in the Junk folder. Being part of a large mailing list is often the trigger. So check your Junk folder periodically, as well as when you don't receive a message you expected.
I use Outlook just to download the email so I have a local copy just in case something happens. Is it really necessary? I don't know but it gives me peace of mind.

+1 on the junk/spam folders. I find that I need to check the spam folder every once on a while to find something that isn't spam and get it redirected to the right place.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
That sounds very good. Thanks. Why do I need Outlook? Good question. I guess I'm just comfortable with it and assume that gmail is as clunky as my internet providers webmail utility. Also, I can draft emails on my laptop when I don't have internet access and send them out later. Perhaps, I'll do both for a while and see if I can get along with just the gmail interface.

I agree it is easier if I scrub my contact list first. That may take a while as I have 461 contacts.

And BTW, penis enhancers is not junk mail!
You can save draft emails in gmail too.
I have ~1200 contacts. I must clean up that list one of these days. I guess I'll start with the As......
I'm a girl. What do I need penis enhancers for again??
Old 01-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gmail is much better than a static email address tied to your internet provider. You can still use outlook to retrieve emails, just as you do now.

Then, switch internet providers at will.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I hate getting emails from a couple. It's confusing (why is an email about a women's activity coming from someone called John?), I don't know to whom I am replying and do I'm not sure what I can write. In fact I find it creepy, as if the SO is "watching".
I agree and I would have to come up with an address that would be generic/gender neutral 🤔

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Does having all your personal data (email, address book, calendar) in the cloud creep any of you out? I'm a bit hesitant, but when I think about it I guess perhaps it is not a big deal as I'm not a particularly nefarious character.
Nothing I have is worthy of stealing... There are bigger accounts to hack.

Once you hit 'send', it's out there anyway.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

You can draft email from the gmail web interface without internet access and send it later too.

I suspect like most people you'll be more comfortable continuing with the interface you have. The web interface seems fine to me, but it's missing a couple things like sorting by size (unless they've added that somewhere) to get rid of unneeded huge emails. Using folders and stuff seems a bit clunky too, but I'm used to it and mostly just leave stuff in my inbox, which is totally different from how I did it at work. Search is quick and easy to find stuff.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #29

Quote:
[Must not respond.... Must not respond.... Stop! This is a family friendly forum! ]

On a more serious note--I can't think of the last time I received spam on my gmail account. I'm sure it happens, but a very rare occurrence. (And never any of this particular ilk.)
Old 01-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #30

Been on Gmail for many years. Love the idea of it syncing across phone, tablet and laptop along with all the other connected services (photo, documents, music, files etc)

My only suggestion would be to keep your current email active for a while, notify your contacts of a change and have your current email forwarded to your new Gmail address until you're sure all your contacts have your new address.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

You have all convinced me. i'm going to make the plunge. Now there is that contact list.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #32

Quote:
I'd say that whether you're 'nefarious' doesn't matter.

Just being on this online forum puts you at a certain level of risk.

Cloud, no cloud, email, address book, whatever...if someone decides on a massive hack, if you've ever been online, have an online account, a credit card or a SS number you're a possible target.

I've been on the Google cloud since it's inception (and on the internet since it was C prompt Arpanet); you take your chances, but the last thing Google wants is a security problem.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Does your current email provider allow you to forward your email to your new gmail account? If so, do it when you make the change.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #34

Quote:
Yeah, that's called "Wemail" and I'm not crazy about it, either. Even though I never write anything to the wife that I wouldn't want the husband to see (and vice versa), it's weird not knowing who will read/respond. If they're not careful to add their name at the bottom, sometimes I'm not even sure who responded.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #35

I was an early adopter of everything Google. My original Gmail address (that I still have and use on occasion) was the beta/invite only version in early 2004. I have never, Never, NEVER looked back. I have never had an email go "missing", so I guess that would tell me that if there hasn't been an issue in the last 11 years, there probably won't be. The number of outages I have experienced have probably numbered less than 10...actually probably less than that. As a matter of fact, I don't remember the last time I couldn't access Gmail.

I use just about every product they have available on a daily basis. The syncing of information is flawless on all devices and is a life saver in so many ways. I have absolutely NO desire to find a new email provider....none at all. Google is always innovating and improving, I love looking at and messing with the development they have going on and that is available in Google labs and through the beta program.

As for spam, it's minimal and it's ALWAYS sent to the spam folder. I don't think I have ever had spam make it into my primary mailbox.

Lastly, I have a personal domain (several) that I can assign any username to. I have this set up so I can add and delete usernames as needed. I don't use it a whole bunch, but it comes in handy to organize items into my different inboxes.

Oh...OK, one more thing. In all the reports I have seen about our elected leaders that have had their emails hacked, I don't think I have EVER seen one such as this: hillary.clinton@gmail.com

And AOL?!? Really? People still use this?!? It still exists?
Old 01-06-2016, 10:38 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You can save draft emails in gmail too.
I have ~1200 contacts. I must clean up that list one of these days. I guess I'll start with the As......
One person's spam is another's important email. That's why I'm impressed with the learning spam filters. With some training, they work quite effectively .
Old 01-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #37

Quote:
You have all convinced me. i'm going to make the plunge. Now there is that contact list.
I can't remember who you said your provider is, but you should be able to save them as a CSV or XLS file and then import it into Google. Managing it then (through Google) will be infinitely easier...I would almost 100% guarantee it.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I know a number of people who use the Google features such as gmail, calendar, contacts, etc. as their base system. It will sync with most major services. Just make sure you make your changes on the Google services, and then sync them one way to the others.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I can't remember who you said your provider is, but you should be able to save them as a CSV or XLS file and then import it into Google. Managing it then (through Google) will be infinitely easier...I would almost 100% guarantee it.
I'm pretty sure Google has an address book import function. IIRC
Old 01-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #40

I've been 100% Google (music, photos, storage, docs, Chromecast etc) for several years. Works great, never a problem.

I've been on Chromebook for a few years now and it's "the way the world's supposed to be" for me.

You just have to learn their 'way' of doing things and how they look at it; then it's duck soup.