Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I agree with some others that living in Florida all year round would be like being held hostage by the tourists in the winter and by the hot temperatures in the summer.
I live in FL year-round and have no problem with either the tourists or the heat/humidity. Why not? Well, the tourists turn the coast into a nightmare during high season, but I live a few miles inland where their effect is much more muted. My very thin build may explain why I can be just as active outdoors during the summer as in winter. I actually enjoy both seasons in FL, but for very different reasons. Of course, your mileage may vary.

socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 10:12 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
...too many options. I am grateful for the choices but making the right choice worries me.
You should really read the book Paradox of Choice by Barry Schwartz, or watch the TED talk video here.

clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:26 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is ok to be a little selfish? I mean both will graduate loan free. To me I'm done...well as much as I can be.
No, not selfish at all. Many of us had loans to pay off when we graduated. You have provided them with a tremendous start. Time for them to fly on their own. Of course easy for me to say.......I never had children.

Btw, my previous post was about deals that can be had for snowbirds in general. To me it just seems like a no brainer for northerners. Escape the coldest weather but maintain your northern home for your nice summers.
Full time wuss............
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:18 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I've made no secret that I'm not a big fan of winter and I'd like to move south when my son graduates HS next June. The relatives are all retiring one by one and moving to Florida - building $500k mini castles with pools and tons of beautiful stone work. I am still not convinced - We already are part owners of a nice two bedroom town home in a closed community near Siesta Key. We are not fussy but the entrance is on the side and I feel a bit claustrophobic when we are there. The trouble is the traffic and congestion down there is simply awful. A zillion of us oldsters are flooding the state: sister-in-law: "I can't wait until the tourist go home." ...
You can always get another 2nd home as large as your budget allows, and somewhere else where it's not so crowded. But be aware of the costs that you will incur with 2 homes, plus the logistics of maintaining them. My 2 homes are only 2-1/2 hour drive apart, so that helps.

"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote