Travel AA/AAA Battery Charger

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Looking (possibly) for an AA/AAA Travel charger.

As a travel charger, I currently have an old one that takes about 14 hours and must charge in pairs.

So, I'm considering a more functional one. Your thoughts on a possible or favorite? Since this is a travel charger, portability is a feature.

I have 3 candidates (or may just decided to use the old), but am open to suggestions:

1) Panasonic Advanced Individual Cell Battery Charger

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHKSMJU...olid=4RFI7IY5ZZUM&coliid=I2XY19GEBKKULS&psc=1

main positives: comes with batteries, brand name
main negative: takes 7 hours

2) aLLreLi 4 Bay Intelligent Fast Charging Battery Charge

Amazon.com: aLLreLi 4 Bay Intelligent Fast Charging Battery Charger w/ LCD Indication, Battery Activation & Discharge Function for AA / AAA / Ni-MH / Ni-Cd Rechargeable Batteries: Electronics

main positives: has LCD display of charge status
main negative: not common brand name

3) AmazonBasics Ni-MH AA & AAA Battery Charger With USB Port

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Ni-MH AA & AAA Battery Charger With USB Port: Electronics

main positive: has USB charging port
main negative: must charge in pairs

Last edited:
The main things (iPhone, iPad, camera, GPS) have their own chargers. When I travel, I just throw some spare AA batteries in the bag for any other gadgets I might be bringing. Never had a problem, so I wonder what you use that goes through battery power that quickly?

The main things (iPhone, iPad, camera, GPS) have their own chargers. When I travel, I just throw some spare AA batteries in the bag for any other gadgets I might be bringing. Never had a problem, so I wonder what you use that goes through battery power that quickly?

Looking to get a used camera that runs on AA batteries. Plus sometimes I bring along flashlights that use AA batteries. Can't really predict when they run out of juice.

This is expensive, but a great one... I had a portable one with this brand that you could use your cigarette lighter, but DW lost it (even though she says she did not)...

Amazon.com: PowerEx MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer for 4 AA/AAA Batteries: Electronics

The one I still have is this...

Amazon.com: Maha Powerex MH-C204FA AA and AAA Intelligent Rapid Battery Charger: Camera & Photo

Oh... found the lost one...

http://www.amazon.com/MH-C401FS-DCW..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1G3DARG26CF4QAR5C2CF

Does the Maha have a flip out plug? I have a La Crosse but that relies on a separate power adapter. I like the portability of a flip out. The Maha is probably too nice for me as just a travel charger, but I've read nice things about that.

Does the Maha have a flip out plug? I have a La Crosse but that relies on a separate power adapter. I like the portability of a flip out. The Maha is probably too nice for me as just a travel charger, but I've read nice things about that.

No, it has an adapter... well, at least the ones I bought.

I went ahead and got the Panasonic charger.

Upon skimming through the instructions (actually came in handy as couldn't figure out the proper way to put in AAA batteries without the guide), there is a note saying charger should be used in vertical position. Now, I'm wondering why does that matter vertical vs horizontal for a charger?

AAA charger

The one I have charges 2 or 4 at a time. My main use is for my Canon camera. I wanted one that took AA batteries, because I have seen the problems people with special batteries have had.
In my camera case is a spare set of AA rechargeable, plus 4 alkaline as backup. When the set in the camera run down, I put the other set in and recharge the spent ones overnight.
I also have a triple outlet with 2 USB ports. The desk anywhere we travel looks like an electronics lab:)
My Kindle, her Nook, her camera, my camera and our little speakers

The one I have charges 2 or 4 at a time. My main use is for my Canon camera. I wanted one that took AA batteries, because I have seen the problems people with special batteries have had.
In my camera case is a spare set of AA rechargeable, plus 4 alkaline as backup. When the set in the camera run down, I put the other set in and recharge the spent ones overnight.
I also have a triple outlet with 2 USB ports. The desk anywhere we travel looks like an electronics lab:)
My Kindle, her Nook, her camera, my camera and our little speakers

That's my plan too using the AA batteries and charger for a used Canon camera which I just won (snipe bidding :)) on ebay. Running on AA batteries is a big reason for that camera.

Last edited:
If it's tilted, the charge could spill out?

There are lots of battery chargers that the batteries are vertical when placed in the charger. So, is position actual wasting energy? I find that difficult to believe.

Looking again at the guide on how to operate, the instructions state:

"10. This charger is intended for use in vertical, upright position." without further explanation. I'm thinking probably to not block an outlet.

That is a joke. right? :(

Well, I took it as at least an attempt at a joke! :LOL:

Hey, I laughed, but then again, I'm a certified nerd.

There are lots of battery chargers that the batteries are vertical when placed in the charger. So, is position actual wasting energy? I find that difficult to believe.

Looking again at the guide on how to operate, the instructions state:

"10. This charger is intended for use in vertical, upright position." without further explanation. I'm thinking probably to not block an outlet.

I'll guess that it is designed to allow any heat to rise up and out in the vertical position.

Another theory might be it is designed so that a leaky battery would drain down and away from the rest of the electronics?

-ERD50

I use one of these: i4 | Nitecore Works well and can do just about any battery. They make a two battery model. On mine you can charge any number and can mix battery types ie aa/aaa/D/C

That's one nice looking charger.

Well, I took it as at least an attempt at a joke! :LOL:

Hey, I laughed, but then again, I'm a certified nerd.

I'll guess that it is designed to allow any heat to rise up and out in the vertical position.

Another theory might be it is designed so that a leaky battery would drain down and away from the rest of the electronics?

-ERD50

That was my next theory, that the orientation had something to do with heat.

Okay, so I searched around for the answer about why plug the charger into a vertical position and found a very much (duh) common sense answer that has nothing to do with energy or heat but... drumroll... operate vertically to avoid the possibility of the batteries falling out. Holy cow. Genius :D. That does make sense. Not that I've ever seen a battery fall out though.

Re-reading, I think that's what braumeister meant?

Last edited:
In general, you want one that can charge a single battery at a time.

The ones that require pairs put those two in series. It gets a little technical to fully explain, but the bottom line is the weakest battery in the pair ends up getting less energy put into it - the opposite of what you want.

A charger that charges a single cell can monitor that cell, and shut down when it's fully charged. The two-in-series approach has to look at the average of the two, so one can get over-charged, the other under-charged.

-ERD50

I got one that does charge one cell at a time. Plus got a new tester too that I like. More accurate than the needle type.

No, he was being facetious.
It's usually best to assume braumeister has his tongue firmly implanted in his cheek.

Sorry for any confusion.

I thought being facetious was only ReWahoo's job. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom