Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Travel AA/AAA Battery Charger
Old 12-04-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Travel AA/AAA Battery Charger

Looking (possibly) for an AA/AAA Travel charger.

As a travel charger, I currently have an old one that takes about 14 hours and must charge in pairs.

So, I'm considering a more functional one. Your thoughts on a possible or favorite? Since this is a travel charger, portability is a feature.

I have 3 candidates (or may just decided to use the old), but am open to suggestions:

1) Panasonic Advanced Individual Cell Battery Charger

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHKSMJU/...GEBKKULS&psc=1

main positives: comes with batteries, brand name
main negative: takes 7 hours

2) aLLreLi 4 Bay Intelligent Fast Charging Battery Charge

Amazon.com: aLLreLi 4 Bay Intelligent Fast Charging Battery Charger w/ LCD Indication, Battery Activation & Discharge Function for AA / AAA / Ni-MH / Ni-Cd Rechargeable Batteries: Electronics

main positives: has LCD display of charge status
main negative: not common brand name

3) AmazonBasics Ni-MH AA & AAA Battery Charger With USB Port

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Ni-MH AA & AAA Battery Charger With USB Port: Electronics

main positive: has USB charging port
main negative: must charge in pairs
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

This is expensive, but a great one... I had a portable one with this brand that you could use your cigarette lighter, but DW lost it (even though she says she did not)...

Amazon.com: PowerEx MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer for 4 AA/AAA Batteries: Electronics

The one I still have is this...

http://www.amazon.com/Maha-Powerex-M...9260476&sr=8-8

Oh... found the lost one...

http://www.amazon.com/MH-C401FS-DCW-...G26CF4QAR5C2CF
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #3

The main things (iPhone, iPad, camera, GPS) have their own chargers. When I travel, I just throw some spare AA batteries in the bag for any other gadgets I might be bringing. Never had a problem, so I wonder what you use that goes through battery power that quickly?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
The main things (iPhone, iPad, camera, GPS) have their own chargers. When I travel, I just throw some spare AA batteries in the bag for any other gadgets I might be bringing. Never had a problem, so I wonder what you use that goes through battery power that quickly?
Looking to get a used camera that runs on AA batteries. Plus sometimes I bring along flashlights that use AA batteries. Can't really predict when they run out of juice.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:09 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
This is expensive, but a great one... I had a portable one with this brand that you could use your cigarette lighter, but DW lost it (even though she says she did not)...

Amazon.com: PowerEx MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer for 4 AA/AAA Batteries: Electronics

The one I still have is this...

Amazon.com: Maha Powerex MH-C204FA AA and AAA Intelligent Rapid Battery Charger: Camera & Photo

Oh... found the lost one...

http://www.amazon.com/MH-C401FS-DCW-...G26CF4QAR5C2CF
Does the Maha have a flip out plug? I have a La Crosse but that relies on a separate power adapter. I like the portability of a flip out. The Maha is probably too nice for me as just a travel charger, but I've read nice things about that.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Does the Maha have a flip out plug? I have a La Crosse but that relies on a separate power adapter. I like the portability of a flip out. The Maha is probably too nice for me as just a travel charger, but I've read nice things about that.

No, it has an adapter... well, at least the ones I bought.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I went ahead and got the Panasonic charger.

Upon skimming through the instructions (actually came in handy as couldn't figure out the proper way to put in AAA batteries without the guide), there is a note saying charger should be used in vertical position. Now, I'm wondering why does that matter vertical vs horizontal for a charger?
AAA charger
Old 12-08-2015, 09:00 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

AAA charger

The one I have charges 2 or 4 at a time. My main use is for my Canon camera. I wanted one that took AA batteries, because I have seen the problems people with special batteries have had.
In my camera case is a spare set of AA rechargeable, plus 4 alkaline as backup. When the set in the camera run down, I put the other set in and recharge the spent ones overnight.
I also have a triple outlet with 2 USB ports. The desk anywhere we travel looks like an electronics lab
My Kindle, her Nook, her camera, my camera and our little speakers
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
The one I have charges 2 or 4 at a time. My main use is for my Canon camera. I wanted one that took AA batteries, because I have seen the problems people with special batteries have had.
In my camera case is a spare set of AA rechargeable, plus 4 alkaline as backup. When the set in the camera run down, I put the other set in and recharge the spent ones overnight.
I also have a triple outlet with 2 USB ports. The desk anywhere we travel looks like an electronics lab
My Kindle, her Nook, her camera, my camera and our little speakers
That's my plan too using the AA batteries and charger for a used Canon camera which I just won (snipe bidding ) on ebay. Running on AA batteries is a big reason for that camera.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:48 AM   #10

Quote:
charger should be used in vertical position. Now, I'm wondering why does that matter vertical vs horizontal for a charger?
If it's tilted, the charge could spill out?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Exactly. That's how batteries are drained.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Exactly. That's how batteries are drained.
That is a joke. right?
Old 12-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There are lots of battery chargers that the batteries are vertical when placed in the charger. So, is position actual wasting energy? I find that difficult to believe.

Looking again at the guide on how to operate, the instructions state:

"10. This charger is intended for use in vertical, upright position." without further explanation. I'm thinking probably to not block an outlet.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is a joke. right?
Well, I took it as at least an attempt at a joke!

Hey, I laughed, but then again, I'm a certified nerd.

Quote:
There are lots of battery chargers that the batteries are vertical when placed in the charger. So, is position actual wasting energy? I find that difficult to believe.

Looking again at the guide on how to operate, the instructions state:

"10. This charger is intended for use in vertical, upright position." without further explanation. I'm thinking probably to not block an outlet.
I'll guess that it is designed to allow any heat to rise up and out in the vertical position.

Another theory might be it is designed so that a leaky battery would drain down and away from the rest of the electronics?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use one of these: http://charger.nitecore.com/product/intellicharger-i4 Works well and can do just about any battery. They make a two battery model. On mine you can charge any number and can mix battery types ie aa/aaa/D/C
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:09 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I use one of these: i4 | Nitecore Works well and can do just about any battery. They make a two battery model. On mine you can charge any number and can mix battery types ie aa/aaa/D/C
That's one nice looking charger.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Well, I took it as at least an attempt at a joke!

Hey, I laughed, but then again, I'm a certified nerd.

I'll guess that it is designed to allow any heat to rise up and out in the vertical position.

Another theory might be it is designed so that a leaky battery would drain down and away from the rest of the electronics?

-ERD50
That was my next theory, that the orientation had something to do with heat.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Okay, so I searched around for the answer about why plug the charger into a vertical position and found a very much (duh) common sense answer that has nothing to do with energy or heat but... drumroll... operate vertically to avoid the possibility of the batteries falling out. Holy cow. Genius . That does make sense. Not that I've ever seen a battery fall out though.

Re-reading, I think that's what braumeister meant?
Old 12-08-2015, 06:45 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

In general, you want one that can charge a single battery at a time.

The ones that require pairs put those two in series. It gets a little technical to fully explain, but the bottom line is the weakest battery in the pair ends up getting less energy put into it - the opposite of what you want.

A charger that charges a single cell can monitor that cell, and shut down when it's fully charged. The two-in-series approach has to look at the average of the two, so one can get over-charged, the other under-charged.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:24 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I got one that does charge one cell at a time. Plus got a new tester too that I like. More accurate than the needle type.