Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
Our friend was in Costa Rica and got caught by a big wave which smashed him into some rocks. He was scratched pretty badly but nothing broken. Two days later, he was walking near the pool, fell and dislocated his elbow and banged up his nose.

Those were the good days. A few days later, he and his SO were walking around when mother nature called. He approached a restaurant and noticed a workman laying some concrete near the bathroom entrance. He sidestepped around him and fell feet first into an open septic tank!!! The only thing that kept him from going all the way in was the sling he had on his arm.

The locals hauled him out, but the water had been turned off so he could not get cleaned off. Finally a bunch of guys took turns hauling sea water in buckets to get the mess off him. Of course, all the scratches got infected, but he was back in Canada by then and was able to get strong antibiotics.
OMG! That's enough to make a person want to spend the rest of their life on the couch

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #42

My BIL went solo on a hunting trip to Alaska. Float plane dropped him off and the pilot said he'd be back at the same spot a week later to pick him up. The week later was 9/11/2001. My BIL went to the drop-off spot 0n 9/11 and waited for 3 days until the plane returned. He had no way of contacting anyone, so he had no idea what was going on. Luckily he had his fishing gear to catch some dinner.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
My BIL went solo on a hunting trip to Alaska. Float plane dropped him off and the pilot said he'd be back at the same spot a week later to pick him up. The week later was 9/11/2001. My BIL went to the drop-off spot 0n 9/11 and waited for 3 days until the plane returned. He had no way of contacting anyone, so he had no idea what was going on. Luckily he had his fishing gear to catch some dinner.
That story plus the one that follows should be a lesson to everyone. In 2003 four of went on a fly-in fishing trip to Wawa, Ontario Canada. That was the base camp but the lake we were flying into was another 75 miles out in the wilderness. We were the only cabin on the lake. We were offerred a satelite phone but we declined. Everything went okay but exactly one year later I had a heart attack while working in the yard. What might have happened if I would have had that heart attack up in Canada? I might not be writing this story. Always go prepared. Don't think cell phones work as there are no towers up in the boonies.