Join Early Retirement Today
Re: Treadmills!
Old 11-10-2006, 09:16 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Runner's World reviews treadmills once a year or so.

According to what I have read where you want to be on price/quality depends very much on usage. The cheaper ones just don't hold up to hard usage but are fine for walking and limited use.

So if you are doing 10 miles a day at a 6 minute/mile pace you need something on the high end. e.g. Bigger engine, rollers, etc.

But if you only use it for walking on rainy days (unless you live in Seattle) then a cheaper model is ok.

mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2006, 02:54 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

you need to be able to run some interesting programs on a treadmill or unless you are a runner they grow boring very quick. thats why so many are used for holding clothes or for sale.

the problem i find with tread mills are that if you are just a walker they are not very varied as far as routine. they dont even simulate real walking well as the motion of just lifting your feet while the treadmill does all the moving is a very different motion than you use propelling your own weight and pushing off with your feet when you walk.

you have to be ready to use some pretty steep inclines too if you intend to use it for cardio growth or else you have to take it up to some pretty high un-natural walking speeds where achilles tendon problems can arise.

walking is okay for some calorie burning although keep in mind a half hour on a treadmill at 4.00 mph is about the calories of a can of coke. walking unless you are out of shape so badly or have circulation problems is not really a cardio routine. for cardio you need to get your heart rate up into your target zone and keep it there,

my vote is get an elliptical machine instead. far more muscle groups can be worked, a better cardio routine can be gotten without the pending achilles tendon issues of un-natural fast walking or extreme inclines and a more varied routine..

mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Originally Posted by Outtahere
...BJ's Wholesale...

Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Buying good used stuff in my neck of the woods is about impossible. People want way too much money for junk.
I think it was like that in the Bay Area, but out here in the boonies, it's the opposite. I'm amazed at how little people charge here. It doesn't seem worth it, but often they'll sell paperbacks for 10 cents each.

Last week my wife asked the price of a beautiful Fair Isle wool sweater in perfect condition, and the woman said "How about 50?" I was thinking, "Well, $50 is more than I would pay, but I guess it's worth it." Then I realized the woman meant 50 cents!

TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote