Join Early Retirement Today

Treasurydirect Account Auth form
Old 03-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Treasurydirect Account Auth form

I want to buy TIPS so I opened a TD account. To my surprise, I have to fill out an authorization form and send it to the fed.

I'm confused about the auth form. From what I read, I would have to bring this form to some kind of institution in order to get it filled out? huh?
david90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't have an answer to your question about the authorization form. But I want to mention a couple of related things.

First, you can purchase TIPs through a brokerage firm. I've bought them through both Vanguard and ETrade, and I'm sure most other brokerage firms can purchase them for you as well. No special paperwork required.

Second, have you considered buying them in a retirement account instead? It's more tax-efficient to keep TIPs in a retirement account because in a taxable account you are taxed on the "phantom" income (inflation-adjustment portion) of income each year, even though you don't receive that until the bond matures. If you want to own TIPs in a non-retirement account, you might want to consider purchasing shares in a TIPs fund (like TIP or VIPSX). When you own shares of a fund, at least you receive the inflation adjustment you're being taxed on.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Yes you take the form to your bank and ask for a signature guarantee. We just did this for my wife.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
I don't have an answer to your question about the authorization form. But I want to mention a couple of related things.

First, you can purchase TIPs through a brokerage firm. I've bought them through both Vanguard and ETrade, and I'm sure most other brokerage firms can purchase them for you as well. No special paperwork required.

Second, have you considered buying them in a retirement account instead? It's more tax-efficient to keep TIPs in a retirement account because in a taxable account you are taxed on the "phantom" income (inflation-adjustment portion) of income each year, even though you don't receive that until the bond matures. If you want to own TIPs in a non-retirement account, you might want to consider purchasing shares in a TIPs fund (like TIP or VIPSX). When you own shares of a fund, at least you receive the inflation adjustment you're being taxed on.

Does it make any sense to eliminate interest rate risk by buying individual bonds instead of a bond fund? Since interest rate is so low right now, I want to buy a bond and hold it to maturity to avoid principle loss. Because interest rate is currently at a historic low, is principle loss a guarantee if I buy a bond fund?

I'm still a newbie investor so please advise .
Old 03-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david90 View Post
Does it make any sense to eliminate interest rate risk by buying individual bonds instead of a bond fund? Since interest rate is so low right now, I want to buy a bond and hold it to maturity to avoid principle loss. Because interest rate is currently at a historic low, is principle loss a guarantee if I buy a bond fund?

I'm still a newbie investor so please advise .
Yes, that does make sense to me. I own some TIPs that I plan to hold to maturity as well. But I hold them in a retirement account so I'm not being taxed on the income.

If you hold them in a taxable account, income will be reported to you each year for both the interest you are paid and the accrued inflation adjustment that you don't receive until maturity. Do you have a place for them in your retirement account?
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
Yes, that does make sense to me. I own some TIPs that I plan to hold to maturity as well. But I hold them in a retirement account so I'm not being taxed on the income.

If you hold them in a taxable account, income will be reported to you each year for both the interest you are paid and the accrued inflation adjustment that you don't receive until maturity. Do you have a place for them in your retirement account?
No I currently don't have a retirement account but I'm aware of the benefits of having one.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #7

Is it a problem to have multiple roth IRA wit different online broker?