Trending - Living in a van down by the river

I have to say I actually fantasize about living in a van.

The sense of freedom, go where you please, sh1t in a bucket. I'm not sure what it is but for me it would have to be accompanied by a long road trip and I definitely would not want to spend evenings in a supermarket car park!
I dream about van and RV living too.

However, not once have I fantasized about sh*tting in a bucket. Each to his own though :LOL:

Fermion: our last trip took us from Nevada to TX, KS, CO, YS< GT< Utah and then home. I booked all our places by searching the internet. It was summer so we wanted electricity. We did have to book places that let you have more then 2 dogs. I was looking for cheap but didn't find it. Gas was not cheap either.

Fermion: our last trip took us from Nevada to TX, KS, CO, YS< GT< Utah and then home. I booked all our places by searching the internet. It was summer so we wanted electricity. We did have to book places that let you have more then 2 dogs. I was looking for cheap but didn't find it. Gas was not cheap either.

Ok, fair point. You also perhaps hit some of the high tourist areas where there was just not going to be anything cheap.

Comparing that to regular RV or van living though is like saying "I just can't find a cheap 2 bed room apartment in NYC". You can stay on a nice mountain lake in Idaho for $10 or $20 (or free like we did) but you are probably not going to be staying in Yellowstone during peak season for under $50.

There are plenty of places where you cannot live affordably in a sticks and bricks too.

Have to compare apples to apples when we talk about expenses and choices.

Our trip was a combo of visiting family and friends so that was TX, KS and Co. We parked for free in people's driveways when we could. Then the rest of the trip was for fun. I meant to say Idaho and not Utah. That was the cheapest at 35/night but the park was amazing. It was family owned and the spots were big and ours was right next to a big river. The park had the original hotsprings. We booked one night and it was so nice we stayed 4. Also we had family in CO in a rural area but then spent 4 nights in dEnver since we had never been there. I was just surprised at how expensive the sites & gas were. It used to be a much cheaper way to travel.

Another thing I have noticed, for those who like to stay in private RV parks and not take advantage of the Army Corp managed parks, is that the monthly rate is usually about the same as 12 to 15 days. I am looking right now at a beach front park on the gulf of Mexico and it is $40 a night or $495 for a monthly rental.

For those doing this full time with no house, perhaps staying a month in each location would greatly reduce the expenses (save on gas too). And really, a month is not a very long time to explore an area. We spent 20 years in Washington state and still did not see everything.

My son and I (this last spring) rented a RV in Chicago and travelled to California and then up to Washington.

The most we paid per night was zero dollars. Combination of BLM land or just a random spot somewhere (not an RV park).

The weather was cool at night so no need for electricity. We travelled, hiked, or visited national parks or cities during the day.

This country is big and mostly empty!

Each to their own, but I've always found it odd that people who owned decent homes think that living in tents or trailers on the weekend is somehow "fun" or it helps them experience nature in a special way.

Last edited:
Those prices make you appreciate boondocking on the parking lots at Walmarts and Cracker Barrell Old Country Stores.

Our Northeast Georgia campground is in the valley below the Appalachian Trail, and we're just spoiled to superior facilities. And for $425 a year, we can camp 14 nights per month for free.

We seldom travel in our fifth wheel.

We used to have a truck camper on the back of a pick-up for camping. RVs with 'neighbors' 8 ft away was not not to my liking. The ground clearance of the 4WD got me in to the places I liked. Traveling around with the all of the most important comforts was great.

Do it again? Sure. The new porta-potties are easy to keep clean and odor free. I would need enough height to stand inside, and would trick it out. I could do that for a few months or longer. That would be for fun. With financial incentives to be able to FI early, yes, if I was single.

Last edited:
We have a 11.5ft truck camper with a full bathroom, generator, air conditioning, kitchen. He stayed at work for a week or so at a time when it was too far from home for what he needed. Fine for one person and camping for a week is fine but I couldn't live in it. We have two houses for two people, I visit his house about half the time but love going home to be alone. A camper or van would be too cosy.

During the 70s we would spend a month at a time traveling in a VW bus I set up for sleeping. Put aside $400 for all expenses including gas to see us through the month. Stealth parked at Holiday Inn or Howard Johnsons since they had pools for our pseudo bath, ate at "all you can eat" salad bars for $1.99 or made peanut butter sandwiches. Put up a tent occasionally. Saw a lot of the country in those days on our low income. Recently we thought about getting a 25 ft Class C diesel but after considering the cost of the RV, fuel, camp ground fees, and my physical condition these days I think I'll just stick with the memories.

Cheers!

living in a van full time is totally different than what the wife and i do. we have been know to sleep in as tent for 30 days straight. out of 10 years we may have slept in a hotel a dozen times. we prefer stars, fires, meeting people...none of that in a hotel room. sorry for the thread jack.
We went on the road for 3 weeks a half dozen years ago. Half-time in AUS and NZ. No hotels at all. The cost was probably equivalent to staying in hotels, since the vans were rented. I can't recall the total cost, but it was over $100 per day. We usually paid very little overnight, staying in public facilities, or a bit nicer when we wanted to shower. Kinda get used to that grime...
We've had quite a few great vacations, and this was certainly one of them.
Future desire is to do this in the US for at least 3 months continuously, as a break between working and retirement. See as much as possible, stay with old friends, meet new ones.
This is not something most people would want to do, I'll admit.

This isn't a new concept - but it is trending.

When I was in high school one of my dad's friends had a son going to UCSD. He lived in a camper van/PU in the student parking lot. He kept his camper in the lot near the gym/pool... and used the showers associated with the pool. Campus police tried to hassle him about it -but the parking permit didn't limit the hours and there were no posted signs forbidding overnight parking. They couldn't really ban overnight parking since the library was open 24 hours. The son of my dad's friend ended up graduating with zero debt. Probably because his rent was parking permit he purchased each quarter.

That was exactly the plan I very seriously considered when going to University. Nice to hear someone really did it.

Another thing I have noticed, for those who like to stay in private RV parks and not take advantage of the Army Corp managed parks, is that the monthly rate is usually about the same as 12 to 15 days. I am looking right now at a beach front park on the gulf of Mexico and it is $40 a night or $495 for a monthly rental.

For those doing this full time with no house, perhaps staying a month in each location would greatly reduce the expenses (save on gas too). And really, a month is not a very long time to explore an area. We spent 20 years in Washington state and still did not see everything.

Did you use this site: Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov
Or some other site to find the engineers managed parks ?

There is only one in our entire state and no electric.

DH and I have considered getting a travel trailer or van conversion - especially once the kids are launched.... but everything we've looked at would be a head-banging experience for 6'4" DH.

Since he's the chief cook (and I'm the chief bottle washer) - it kind of negates the usefulness of the kitchen if the cook can't stand up straight.

DH and I have considered getting a travel trailer or van conversion - especially once the kids are launched.... but everything we've looked at would be a head-banging experience for 6'4" DH.

Since he's the chief cook (and I'm the chief bottle washer) - it kind of negates the usefulness of the kitchen if the cook can't stand up straight.
If you are interested in a small fiberglass camper trailer, the Parkliner is 6'5" tall inside. Similarly the Egg Camper is 6'7" tall inside. Both were designed by tall men.

Living in our RV down by the river is tough. I mean it is a grueling 60 foot walk to our sailboat and the park only has 550 acres for walking around. It gets expensive too at $9 a night which only includes water, electricity, sewer, internet, lawn maintenance, security. I also feel a bit bad I am not able to support the local government with property tax.

Good for you !

The older I get... the more attractive that sounds... but the less I would be able to adjust.

However, not once have I fantasized about sh*tting in a bucket. Each to his own though :LOL:

In my 20s I lived with my four year old son for six months in an old farmhouse that had no bathroom [until my dad was able to put in a septic tank and build a bathroom.]

It was amazing how well I adjusted to using an outhouse, an indoor portable potty and a zinc bathtub in the kitchen.

Decades before, my grandparents [who had a farm nearby] had lived without electricity.

Today, we are all very spoiled.

Last edited:
In my 20s I lived with my four year old son for six months in an old farmhouse that had no bathroom [until my dad was able to put in a septic tank and build a bathroom.]

I once (just once) helped my grandfather dig up his old outhouse from his parent's farm and then relocate it to his farm. Not sure what his fascination with outhouses was, but he loved using that thing. I guess indoor plumbing was kind of strange to him since he grew up peeing on trees and pooping far away from the house.

Finding myself without indoor plumbing or any hope of obtaining it soon, is probably the ONLY thing that would send me back to work. I simply refuse to live without plumbing. We're not animals! :eek:

I think indoor plumbing is the absolute pinnacle of all the many accomplishments from thousands of years of building Western civilization. Plentiful running water that is safe to drink is not far behind.

(yes, I am a city girl... ;) )

From Wikipedia:
The ancient Greek civilization of Crete, known as the Minoan civilization, was the first civilization to use underground clay pipes for sanitation and water supply. Their capital, Knossos, had a well-organized water system for bringing in clean water, taking out waste water and storm sewage canals for overflow when there was heavy rain. It was also one of the first uses of a flush toilet, dating back to 18th century BC.
I saw that system in some ruins we visited over there years ago, and thought that those ancients sure had their heads screwed on right. They knew what was important, that is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom