Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
That is so funny! Love it and wish I had thought to do that over the years...and remember where the data was kept.
It's on slips of paper in an envelope that goes in the candy caldron until next year. Includes kid counts, number of times the doorbell rang, weather, and day of the week.

For a while, when the neighborhood was young I took pictures of the kids, then, with a borrowed projector from work, showed previous years' shots using an automated slide show on a queen sized sheet, er, I mean projection screen outside.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
Trick or treat only lasts about 2 hours so it's over pretty quick. The worst part is having to crate my dogs during that time so they don't scare the kids at the door by barking at them.
I get my cats inside and close the cat door. The door bell and noisy kids bother them but there is just too much traffic outside. Also my vet has warned me to keep my cats in, especially black cats, just in case some weirdo decides to use them for a Halloween ritual.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Must find these Glow in the Dark Cheetos.....

Dang, just looked them up...only the bags glow! I was really hoping it was the cheeto itself. Rats!

I live close to large nuclear facility - maybe mine will be different
Old 10-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #44

We'll likely get 5-8 groups if we stay inside, 10-15 if we put the fire-pit at the end of the driveway to attract them. I have been known to have cinnamon and peppermint schnaps available for the parents (my neighbors) who actually make it down to my end of the neighborhood.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
We'll likely get 5-8 groups if we stay inside, 10-15 if we put the fire-pit at the end of the driveway to attract them. I have been known to have cinnamon and peppermint schnaps available for the parents (my neighbors) who actually make it down to my end of the neighborhood.
I'm planning to hang in the driveway with the neighbors and have 3 of my homebrews on tap and a big sleeve of sample cups. These aren't my best beers (they're the ones that didn't get drained at an earlier festival), but I figured it would be nice to give the parents something to trick or treat for, hehe.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

We have about 75 kids.

We do full size candy bars and I set up my outdoor projector screen up and play It's the great pumpkin, Charlie Brown.

Neighbors and kids love it. I enjoy doing it also.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I live close to large nuclear facility - maybe mine will be different
Could be. Does Homer Simpson work there?
Old 10-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #48

When the boys were little it was a nice social outing. Houses were decorated, parents walked with the kids. Some friends down the street handed out adult beverages for the parents (trick or treat ?).

But now that group is older so we will have maybe 10-20 kids come (vs 70-80). My kids will stay home and pass out the candy.

Growing up, if you ran out of candy by new years, you didn't run fast enough. The last couple years my kids carried candy into the new year.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We used to plan on 50-60, but usually got only 30-40. So we always bought candy we liked, and enjoyed the leftovers.

Now nine years in this house, and we haven't seen one yet. No sidewalks, no streetlights, no nearby neighbors. The quiet is delightful.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #50
Administrator

Like sengsational, we count the kids every year and have noticed a declining trend. We're still in the 40-50 range, but it was well over 150 when we moved in 21 years ago.

None of the kids who ring the doorbell actually live in our neighborhood, but it is a very safe area in the center of town, full of old homes with big front porches, close together and close to the street, so people will drive here from outlying parts of town to let their kids trick-or-treat. The young wife always dresses in costume to hand out the candy.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #51

We used to get 70 or so back in NY, but we moved into a neighborhood with fewer families, and over the past couple of years get no visitors. I enjoyed very much putting on my giant troll feet and monster hand to answer the door.

DW and I stopped by the Chicago Botanic Garden, which hosts a special Halloween event the children enjoy. They create two paths along the gardens, one safe, the other scary, and invite the families to follow on to the site of the festivities. Last year we took the grandkids after dark, and in the lily pond this creature was reaching out, touching people's feet and making strange noises. They were setting up when we stopped by this afternoon and I couldn't resist taking a phot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg creature.jpg (716.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #52

Our Trick or Treat was last night 6-8. We had more kids than usual (50+) and some very cute costumes. The most imaginative was a girl dressed as a Thanksgiving dinner table. The table was on her shoulders, set with a tablecloth, plates, cups and silverware. She had her head in the center with a turkey hat. Just adorable!

The kids were all polite and said thank you. Parents out on the sidewalk waved. It was a nice evening, not too cold and for once, NO RAIN.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #53

I wouldn't miss it! Every year has a few children that are over the top in cuteness.

On YouTube, there is a video of a toddler wearing an led stick figure costume that is fun in the same way.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #54

We will probably get about 50 kids. I open up from 6pm - 8pm and then it is light's out. Any later and you just get the older kids.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Lights out, me on the roof with a bucket of ice water.
This reminds me of trick or treating as a child, each year, there was one particular house where the owner would stand in his garage, door open, and the whole house without lights. If you came up his driveway, he would start hurling apples at you. Nothing happened to him, but I suspect he would be behind bars in todays world.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #56

Well, I guess that's better than the rock salt fired from shotguns that farmers used to use.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:30 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

This year's head count was a record low. One group of four kids. Lots of leftover Twix bars.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mobs of families. We disposed of multiple bags of candy. We went out with the grandkids and great nephews for a little while. Here is the crowd in front of one decorated house:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg halloween.jpg (174.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 11-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #59

Got ZERO. We usually don't get very many and the constant rain kept the rest away................................
Old 11-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #60

Keeping my streak intact since the 1990s, I got no trick-or-treaters again this year. It was tough finding a snack pack in the supermarket which had anything less than 24 bags but after searching around a few days ago I did find one with 6 small bags of potato chips. That means I get to eat most of them on the car trip when we go to my brother's place for Thanksgiving in a few weeks.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote