Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #21

I was always the one left at home to answer the door. And to pass the time, I recorded the data:

So it looks like we'll get 20 to 30 kids. The neighborhood is "aging out", I think. More of our kids come in cars now (a big load of 6 kids piles out of a van), whereas before they'd all be on foot.

So I just looked. DW bought $18 (plus tax) worth of candy. That comes pretty close to $1 per kid. She got mad at me when I asked her why she bought so much. Her answer "I was at Sam's".
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #22

Attendance has gone down significantly as the neighborhood ages but we still buy several bags of the bite-size candy bars. In years past I took the excess to work.

Come to think of it, this year I'll probably take the excess and drop it off at the gate anyway. They'll eat anything.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

25 to 30....if it doesn't snow.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #24

I only get about a dozen neighbor kids and their friends as I live on a dead-end street of 16 homes sandwiched between a golf course and a park, so not a proper walkable neighborhood. I bought 3 dozen Kit Kat bars to be on the safe side. I'm sure I will scarf some of them before I take what's left to the office.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #25

Our end of the street is has very few kids but a few blocks down there are more children. So if the weather is decent we get maybe 20 - 30.

Our city is having Trick-or-Treat on Sat from 6pm-8pm.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

We have maybe 20-25 homes in the hood, average about an acre each, nothing else nearby. When we moved in 30 years ago we had a lot of kids but they all grew up and left. After dwindling to almost nothing, the older folks are moving out and younger families moving in. The last few years were at 20ish.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #27

I don't expect any, there are no young children in the apartments and the building is secured. In the mid 70s when I lived in a house there would be 100 or more. As time went on and the neighborhood aged it became fewer and fewer. By late 90s there were 2 or three that would show up. The last 10 years at my house there were no trick or treaters. I think a lot of that is due to more organized things for the kids and possibly to people not wanting to trust candy from strangers.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozer View Post
In my old neighborhood we had 300-600 every year. Last 2 years in the new neighborhood we had zero. We will plan for 100 just in case.

Speaking of elsewhere, that was a big problem in my old neighborhood. Other neighborhoods, church groups, apartment complexes, whatever, actually bused/van pooled kids into our neighborhood and dropped them off for a couple of hours for the big candy grab. People that lived on the first couple of streets near the entrances often had more than 1000 kids, and got a birds eye view of the kid drop off/pick up cycle and its traffic related issues. The last two years I lived there deputies parked at the entrances to try and deter this. Some people just drove deeper into the neighborhood to do the drop off/pick up. That's when my number went above 300.
Similar to this OP's former neighborhood, I get 300-400 kids. I live in a nicer downtown neighborhood with lots of senior citizens and few children but we are surrounded by poor neighborhoods with more children but that may not be safe for trick or treating. Most of us get a big kick of seeing the kids in their costumes and many are quite generous giving out full size candy bars. I'll be shopping this weekend to get the largest bags of "good" candy that I can find at the best price.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:33 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We will get mobs of them. They come from all over the area to Capitol Hill (DC) and work their way up side streets like ours to East Capitol where everyone goes up and down a one mile stretch. There are literally thousands of trick or treaters on East Capitol.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #30

We will average 30-40 children. We turn our light on and sit on the sidewalk, if weather is ok, so kids don't have to climb our steps in their costumes. We used to get 60 or more, but it has declined in more recent years. My DH passes out the candy now and I go with my DD and granddaughter and her friend.

Halloween was probably my favorite holiday as a child. We were quite poor and I could hardly believe that people I did not even know, would give me such treats! I have such good memories of Halloween!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Lights out for me too. They don't call me Scrooge for no reason.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #32

We used to have a special treat for those with "lights out".
Old 10-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in a very rural area but when I first moved here we would get twenty to thirty now, for a variety of reasons, the community has gone to trunk or treat...car gathered in a parking lot. I think it misses the point of All Hallows Eve and the fun of going from house to house though we still get five to ten.
killingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #34

[QUOTE=sengsational;1370355]I was always the one left at home to answer the door. And to pass the time, I recorded the data:

That is so funny! Love it and wish I had thought to do that over the years...and remember where the data was kept.

We will be out of town this Halloween.

Friends who live in the wealthier subdivisions talk about the cars and cars full of kids that come in from other areas to do their trick and treating. Those friends spent way more on candy. We were always lucky enough to live in areas where they probably expected not-so-great candy, so they went other places--though we always included lots of chocolate.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

We will get at least 100. I am usually out with my kids and my wife mans the door. We buy 4-5 big bags. There is usually some left over that I deposit at work. I am in a newer subdivision where they have been building houses for about 14 years. The last phase is being built now. The first year we were on the edge and didn't get too much traffic. Now we are in the middle. Lots of kids.

I contemplate switching to full size bars when we payoff the mortgage (next year, I think). But who knows. My kids 5&8 are in prime years.

One year my wife came with and we left the bowl. It was quickly scooped. Can't say I was too surprised (nor cared really).
Sesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #36
Gone but not forgotten

Our CCRC is in a relatively well to do neighborhood. In the early years, we used to get 50+ kids... Two years ago, some local do-gooder put up a little sign at the end of our street, telling kids not to bother the "old folks"... Last year three little kids from families who had parents in our community. Sad.

Anyway... such memories... good, bad and funny.
The good... circa 1945... an Indian family moved into the neighborhood about a month before halloween... In those days, our WASPY neighborhood was passively bigoted, and the kids basically shunned the new family children. The father, who was very wise.. gave out dimes on halloween, and the word spread like wildfire. For about $5 (a fortune at the time) our neighborhood became integrated. bff

The bad... Old Mrs Willoughby, the recluse who lived on the corner, was our target. Bag of "stuff" set on fire at the door step... ring the bell and run. Wait for the stomp-out... Still have conscience pangs.

The funny...
travelover said: "Lights out, me on the roof with a bucket of ice water."
Now I know who you are, Kenny Cheetham... That was you on the second story porch who poured the water all over innocent me and Johnny MacQueen, ... 70 years ago.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #37
Administrator

We get several dozen kids typically and some years have rigged up some large spiders that "climb" up the porch wall when the doorbell rings. The kids are rarely scared by this but their adults (who are generally standing a few feet behind) have been known to shriek in horror - good fun.

This year we're handing out something called "Glow in the dark Cheetos" but usually we give out tootsie pops as no one is especially tempted by them if any are left over.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #38

Maybe 50-80 depending on the weather (last year was COLD and we only had about a dozen kids go by).

We dole out full size Hershey bars.

We sit out at the end our driveway and hand them out. I also tend the enclosed fire pit I haul out. This has become pretty common around here.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
We get several dozen kids typically and some years have rigged up some large spiders that "climb" up the porch wall when the doorbell rings. The kids are rarely scared by this but their adults (who are generally standing a few feet behind) have been known to shriek in horror - good fun.

This year we're handing out something called "Glow in the dark Cheetos" but usually we give out tootsie pops as no one is especially tempted by them if any are left over.
Must find these Glow in the Dark Cheetos.....

Dang, just looked them up...only the bags glow! I was really hoping it was the cheeto itself. Rats!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Must find these Glow in the Dark Cheetos.....

Dang, just looked them up...only the bags glow! I was really hoping it was the cheeto itself. Rats!
If they did exsit, you could eat a few, then you'd be ready for the upper GI study...you'd fluoresce!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote