Tricks and Strategies to LBYM in ER

Drawing back from the precipice of the political aspects of animal control, and moving back to the topic...

Got the electric bill: We dropped it from $46 to $35 last month, mostly by turning off the computer when not in use.  In the past I've kept it on 24/7 so that it can do its backups and anti-virus downloads/checks in the night.   I'll switch to once/week backups.

We used 10 KWH per day.

TromboneAl said:
Drawing back from the precipice of the political aspects of animal control, and moving back to the topic...

Hey, catching and eating critters can be a vital part of LBYM in ER. :)

OK, Back on Topic.Here are a couple of books for your LBYM reading pleasure.

Attachments

• Inthe woodsbook_.GIF
    Inthe woodsbook_.GIF
    17.6 KB · Views: 94
  • roadkillbook_.GIF
    roadkillbook_.GIF
    14.3 KB · Views: 89
TromboneAl said:
Got the electric bill: We dropped it from $46 to $35 last month, mostly by turning off the computer when not in use.  In the past I've kept it on 24/7 so that it can do its backups and anti-virus downloads/checks in the night.   I'll switch to once/week backups.

What kind of system? Older desktops consume around 100-150W, but in newer P4-based systems, the CPU alone might consume 100W. CRT monitors consume much more than LCDs. And a typical laptop will consume less than 40W during continuous use (and much less during stand-by, of course).

I've got all the figures on my system's consumption, but I'm too lazy to get them. Bottom line, about 140 watts when in use, and about 80 watts in standby. LCD monitor, computer from about 1999.

wab said:
Older desktops consume around 100-150W, but in newer P4-based systems, the CPU alone might consume 100W.   CRT monitors consume much more than LCDs.   And a typical laptop will consume less than 40W during continuous use (and much less during stand-by, of course).

Wow, I had no idea!

Sheryl said:
Wow, I had no idea!

And did you know that a P4-based computer also makes a great space heater? My office is about 4 degrees warmer that the living room (where the thermostat is located).

wab said:
And did you know that a P4-based computer also makes a great space heater? My office is about 4 degrees warmer that the living room (where the thermostat is located).

I concur! I have two P-4's cranking out heat in my office. I'll be saving on my heating bill this year :D

My computer room/office is the coldest place in the house - maybe I should let them run to heat it up :confused:

Back
Top Bottom