Join Early Retirement Today

Tricks and Strategies to LBYM in ER
Old 10-30-2005, 06:32 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Tricks and Strategies to LBYM in ER

I Googled LBYM and was amazed at the selections. I personally use things like airline miles through my credit card, buying certain items at Dollar Tree and Dollar Zone, using store brands and coupons whenever possible. Hell, I've even been known to empty ketchup packages into a bottle and salt packets into a shaker. I am known as a "Greedy Geezer" and I like it.

Knowing the attitudes and abilities to "think outside the box" of this august group, I invite you to state your best strategies and tricks to help save a buck or two in ER.

Professor
education is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Tricks and Strategies to LBYM in ER
Old 10-30-2005, 06:35 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I buy an extra supply of Corona when it's on sale.* 8)
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 06:44 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Great idea!!!!! In south Texas we like ours with a lime wedge. Instead of buying at the store, I grow 'em in my backyard. Lots cheaper.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
I Googled LBYM and was amazed at the selections.* I personally use things like airline miles through my credit card, buying* certain items at Dollar Tree and Dollar Zone, using store brands and coupons whenever possible.* Hell, I've even been known to empty ketchup packages into a bottle and salt packets into a shaker.* I am known as a "Greedy Geezer" and I like it.

Knowing the attitudes and abilities to "think outside the box" of this august group, I invite you to state your best strategies and tricks to help save a buck or two in ER.

Professor
Professor,

While I would quit traveling all together to save money, and give up Ketchup (not much of a sacrifice) before I would attempt pouring a salt packet into a shaker.

My primary advice is to watch those monthly bills rather than the one time expenditures.

Things such as Cable TV (while I have free TV via my Attic Attenna, and Free High Definition TV I might add!).

Cell Phones.

Long Distance Service - Where a Phone Card will do!

High Deductible Insurance - Medical, Car, Home

Old 10-30-2005, 06:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Great idea!!!!!* *In south Texas we like ours with a lime wedge.* Instead of buying at the store, I grow 'em in my backyard. Lots cheaper.
Damn!! You've got a Corona tree??

I also cut our very large yard, mainly for the great exercise ( push type mower) but it saves big bucks, I'm the pool boy, which also is great exercise, I'm the car wash dude, also great exercise- - -not only does this stuff save bucks- - it gets done right.*
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We still use the frugal tricks you read about on the Dollar Stretcher and the Simple Living boards (not the deprived/depraved ones), but lately we look at capital costs & monthly expenses.

For example we've spent a few hundred bucks over the last couple years on radiant-foil insulation in our attics & garage. That's drastically cut down the daytime heating and reduced our ceiling-fan use. When we replace the roof in a couple decades, we'll strip everything off and start over with foam insulating panels & ridge vents.

We spent extra on our rental's cedar shake roof instead of a cement-shake roof when we noticed that all our cement-roof neighbors were buying air conditioners.

We're slowly building out a photovoltaic system to eliminate our electric bill. We're adding rain barrels to cut down on our water (irrigation) bill.

A subscription to Family Handyman and Home Depot's "You Can Do It" classes have saved us tremendous bucks on home-improvement projects. I draw the line at pouring concrete steps but if I have trouble finding a reliable contractor...

If I was on my own I'd get rid of the cable TV, but I'm told by the rest of the family that I'm crossing the line from frugality to deprivation. At less than $500/year I haven't been able to bribe anyone to change their habits.

We've been growing a heckuva lot of fruit and this year we started growing tomatoes. But now I'm ready to plant a Corona orchard!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 11:57 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep, put 'em right next to the money tree!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 06:40 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Personally, I have found that the modest capital investment in homebrewing equipment can be very quickly recovered by even modest production levels.

Just an observation: ERs have a much easier time saving dough than us working stiffs. I finally managed to finish painting the deck this weekend, but it was tough to do because I had to wait for the weather to cooperate on a weekend. There were several times that a weekday would have been fine weather-wise. The estimate I got for doing the deck was over $1k.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:41 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Things such as Cable TV (while I have free TV via my Attic Attenna, and Free High Definition TV I might add!).
CT, how does this work? Did you have to get a special type of attenna to get broadcast HD? Or did you just get a regular old attic attenna? Is the quality as good as the cable HD feed?

Thanks.
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot
CT, how does this work?* Did you have to get a special type of attenna to get broadcast HD?* Or did you just get a regular old attic attenna?* Is the quality as good as the cable HD feed?

Thanks.
I just have an attic antenna which I use for regular TV and FM broadcasts. All of the local channels here in Minneapolis are now also broadcasting a Hi-Def signal. I just had to get a High Definition Tuner (about $250). After that, it's all free TV.

The quality is far better than you'd get from cable. It's pure right out of the air. In fact the Over The Air signal (OTA) is well known to be the best Hi-Def picture you can get. It is much better than my DVD player also. It also depends on the program material being broadcast. Public TV has a 24 hour a day Wide Format Hi-Def signal that has some spectacular programs on it.

And of course all the sports programs - Football, Baseball are superb - The Masters Golf Tournam ent this spring was marvelous, and i'm not even interested in Golf. The course and flowers were something to behold!
Old 10-31-2005, 06:08 PM   #11

While I also am a strong believer in watching free-TV and feel that cable/sattelite is a luxury, I do have a couple of observations:

1) The content of free-TV is going downhill fast. Late night movies and old re-runs have given way to infomercials ad-nausium. In the Los Angeles area there is only one VHS channel (out of 7) that doesn't show informercials at night. And sometimes they all show infomercials. I would like to get-rich quick, lose weight now, and have a couple of girls-gone-wild but once in a while some interesting content would be good also.

2) While HD TV is great, I'll take content over picture-quality (to a point) anyday. Wouldn't you rather watch a great show on a moderate picture than the other way around?

I have been a big fan of free-TV but I may go over to the dark side soon and actually pay real money for content.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:13 PM   #12

I get cable TV, at the health club and when Im traveling. Nothing there that interests me.
I certainly would not pay for it. (IMHO)

The only great TV for myself is on Public TV.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:15 PM   #13

Cable is great. *You don't know what you are missing, especially if you are a Science Fiction fan like me. *That and an amazing number of educational channels. Then again, I am a natural born couch potato...
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
1) The content of free-TV is going downhill fast. Late night movies and old re-runs have given way to infomercials ad-nausium. In the Los Angeles area there is only one VHS channel (out of 7) that doesn't show informercials at night. And sometimes they all show infomercials. I would like to get-rich quick, lose weight now, and have a couple of girls-gone-wild but once in a while some interesting content would be good also.
I really don't think the content provided by cable TV is any better. We broke down and got Dish at the beginning of the year. I like HGTV occasionally and the HIST channel, but everything else seems like crap. I actually like the channel guide that Dish offers and would miss that if we canceled it. I find myself watching PBS more often than not.

I'm also in the LA area and I'm just constantly amazed at how bad the content is, especially local news. About the only news I watch now is the BBC;

WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:26 PM   #15

Well, I've got this nasty little habit of waking up at 3:00 AM and not being able to sleep. Maybe it's too much coffee ?

Like Cut-Throat I like PBS too.

At 3:00 AM there is really nothing on. Of the 3 PBS (UHS broadcast) stations that I get, 2 are off the air, and one plays art-type music videos. The other 3 or 4 (English) UHS stations are all playing infomercials. So of 11 VHS and UHS channels only 1 isn't playing infomercials (less than ten percent of the stations).

At 3:00 AM I'm not too picky, a movie like "Attack of the Star Creatures" or even the Beverly Hillbillies or Gillgans Island reruns would be great compared to what is on.

I just may break down soon and pay money so that I can watch something a little more interesting. Life is short and I really can afford it now if I want to. I just have to change my mindset about paying for something that I never have before.

In my area, it costs around $500/year to get a package that is worthwhile on either cable or sattelite

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:14 AM   #16

Free TV is not an option in our remote area, but a compromise between free and full cable is the basic cable ($9/month). The eight or so channels we get are plenty. Also a DVR will help you avoid having to watch "whatever's on at the moment."
Old 11-01-2005, 08:27 AM   #17

What distinguishes LBYM in ER versus regular LBYM is that you have more time to save money.*

Things like:
  • In-depth evaluation of investments
  • Taking in your cans for money
  • Measuring your electricity usage
  • Sawing up pallets for free firewood
  • Shopping at garage sales

Busy people don't have time for these things.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:29 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I live in a sheltered canyon and cannot get free TV signals at the house and the cabin is too far away except for a very weak off the air signal. *My choice was Dish and I have 3 LNBs so I get about 500 channels including music, sports, HD and just about anything you can imagine. *I need to feed my HD TV with something *

When we move and downsize in a couple of years we will also go with the more baisic stuff. *For now, we either go with satellite or with cable and since I have already invested in the Dish stuff, we will just keep it for now. *

Old 11-01-2005, 08:47 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I get cable TV, at the health club and when Im traveling. Nothing there that interests me.
I certainly would not pay for it. (IMHO)

The only great TV for myself is on Public TV.
Cut, so your DW has not been tempted by HGTV?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:30 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
Well, I've got this nasty little habit of waking up at 3:00 AM and not being able to sleep. Maybe it's too much coffee ?
Nah, it's the sugar surge coming from your liver as it converts the alcohol to glucose and revs up your bloodstream.

But you're supposed to get onto this board at that hour of the morning, right?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote