Join Early Retirement Today

Trip To the Houston Auto Show
Old 01-28-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Trip To the Houston Auto Show

To DW and I going to the Houston Auto Show is an annual event . Last Friday we set out . Going down I 10 coming in to Houston we see a Sheriff sitting on the inside shoulder . As we go by he waves at us ...Not to say how are you but pull over . He jumps in the cruiser and about 3 miles down the road we realize he wants us 10 mins later and I get my first speeding ticket in ten years . I was going 80mph in a 65mph zone . Anyone in Houston will tell you that you must exceed the speed limit to survive.

We get to NRG wow cars , cars and more cars . The new Volvo's are really incredible . By the way Volvo is NOT going total EV in the future . Really loved the Mclarens 240,000 dollars . They had a new Morgan , what a neat little nostalgic sports car . We are looking at the Stinger WOW two Harris county sheriffs are taking pics with their phones . I start joking " Man you guys got me this morning " Of course they ask where I got my ticket I tell them and one of the deputies told me that is his area . He told me the officer that gave me the ticket gave him a ticket . We all had a good laugh , then he showed me his Pearl Stinger on his cell phone. No getting ticket relief ( Take defensive driving )

Spent some time at the Ford display liked the Ford GT but really liked the Ford Mustang Bullitt ,44K . To us a lot of money. Interesting as I was complaining of sticker shock I run into an older gentleman . He explained he was a Ford rep from Michigan and now working as a consultant . We got to talking about EV cars , he told us everyone has them but they are years off.
He felt Tesla's are interesting but would have a hard time to sustain he thought EV cars at the moment are no more then city cars. He felt cars must be fun , realiable , comfortable and reasonable priced. Not everyone wants to lease a Benz or BMW. He told us about a dealership in Baton Rouge that has close to 100 lease Mercedes on return sitting in a lot that they cannot sell because they all look the same. Of course he talked Ford up.

We looked at so many cars none of them stuck out , I guess the 20K car is gone . Liked the New Subaru's and Genisis. Always enjoy the vendors , but this year they seemed to be down . Talked to a guy that did the Ceramic Glaze on cars and discussed having done on my old Mustang (800.00 ) Oh well nothing is cheap , I used to buy used cars that were nice for 800.00 and now 800.00 for a great detail . I am getting old !
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We don't have speeding problems in our interstates--because the closest one is 45 miles away. Our law enforcement police communities by spotting young people and following them until they fail to give a turn signal. Then they hassle them and search their vehicles looking for drug paraphernalia and illegal drugs--just like on Live P.D.

I too used to go to the car and boat shows in Atlanta. The manufacturers have just gotten so greedy on pricing that the regular John Q. Public has to go ultra long on payment terms or lease the vehicles to afford new ones.

You're right about the new model Volvos being nice--very high fashion. I expect they and many other manufacturers will go hybrid before they go full EV. (My new Camry Hybrid is getting 48 mpg on average and runs great.) I too am a Morgan fan, but they're a little pricey for what you get--and English.

That Ford GT is incredible but at almost $500K it is out of the realm of all but the most wealthy. Ferrari's are much more affordable for those with inheritances. But such dream cars have unbelievably expensive yearly upkeep.

You were talking about those leasing Mercs. and Bimmers, but they are now so complicated, troublesome and difficult to fix that I'd be hard to substantiate owning one for the long run. A 6.3 Mercedes engine is $49K, and too many of them blow up. And heaven's knows what the hourly labor rate is at a luxury car dealer today. They need to be leased with maintenance included.

What's hard for an ER is giving up on that urge to drive so many new vehicles. I've had over 100 new cars, most of which were company cars. We have had to stage out our vehicles--and are keeping them on a 10 year or so rotation. So far, we're up to over 500K miles on new cars without any warranty claims--knock on wood. They're really more durable and longer lasting than ever.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #3

I really don't know how people afford some of the new cars . DW bought a new Soul last spring 22K after the haggling she got it just over 16K

We talked to a kid who bought a new Eco Boost Mustang , I asked aren't they around 26K . He told me a little more he got some bells and whistles . I joked with him " you must have a good job " . Sadly he said I lost my job at Chic Filet and I am looking . The payments are only 477.00 Monthly .

I shudder we have never made payments for a car that high . most times we pay cash but I understand not everyone can ..but wow !
Old 01-28-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
I really don't know how people afford some of the new cars . DW bought a new Soul last spring 22K after the haggling she got it just over 16K

We talked to a kid who bought a new Eco Boost Mustang , I asked aren't they around 26K . He told me a little more he got some bells and whistles . I joked with him " you must have a good job " . Sadly he said I lost my job at Chic Filet and I am looking . The payments are only 477.00 Monthly .

I shudder we have never made payments for a car that high . most times we pay cash but I understand not everyone can ..but wow !
Slaves to debt. BMW's former slogan was "Leasing your dream". Neighbor of mine sells vehicles. Stealership where he works prefers more customers to lease rather than buy vehicles. Slaves to debt.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:30 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Sure the salesman wants to lease every car he sells. The dealer hits a "Home Run" on every car leased at MSRP because customers don't know how to negotiate lease payments. They often know how to negotiate buying a car, however.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I gave up these "shows" several years ago. I couldn't bring myself to pay admission anymore to look at stuff to spend money on. Plus in ATL, if you went, you could rest assured that you would get to enjoy it with at least 250,000 other people.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:45 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The speed limit on I-10 is 80 mph from east of El Paso to west of San Antonio.

In the Houston area, one can mostly go 75 mph, but not over, so your 80 mph caused you problems. I have passed state troopers when I was going 75 mph as was everybody else along with me.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Hey Breedlove, your $20K vehicle around Houston is a 4 year old F150 with 125,000 miles on it.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:55 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Best stay in the right lane if you're only going 80 on that stretch of road.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:10 PM   #10

Yes kind of funny the two deputies at the car show were really laughing about it . As I said one of them told me the officer once I named him had given one of the deputies a ticket.
Yep a 20K vehicle in Houston that is not run to death is hard to find . I drive a Ridgeline with 170 k miles and it does me fine . I also have an old Mustang to play with . We never pay to go to the shows we went to a Dodge dealer a week before the show and got free tickets . Friday was not a busy day so we pretty much seen it all .
Old 01-28-2019, 03:00 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post

In the Houston area, one can mostly go 75 mph, but not over, so your 80 mph caused you problems. I have passed state troopers when I was going 75 mph as was everybody else along with me.

I was out there a few years ago and was surprised when a state trooper pulled me over going 85... just gave me a warning... but hey, I was only going 5 over!!!
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:04 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I used to go to the show... but have not for years... there were some dealerships that would give out free tickets... I stopped going as there were just too many people and the cost was getting higher than I wanted... looked it up $12 this year... taking family means $48....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:31 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Best stay in the right lane if you're only going 80 on that stretch of road.
Always stay in the right lane unless passing.

I found it rare to see anybody going 85, but yes, under ten vehicles going that fast the whole stretch back in December.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote