Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I had not thought of it as serving a shorter term. A reporter commented, when the inauguration ceremony was behind schedule, that the presidency passed at the scheduled time even if the oath had not yet been administered. I'm not sure about that, but the 20th Amendment says that the sitting President's term ends at noon on the 20th. So, were we without a president for 5 minutes or so? Or, if the oath was not said properly, were we without a president for much longer? Fun trivia question.
The 20th amendment essentially makes the oath of office a formality. The presidency passes at noon on the 20th, per section 1 of the 20th amendment. The successor (the president elect) is president after noon on the 20th.

"Section 1. The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January... and the terms of their successors shall then begin."

FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
By that token, Chester Arthur wouldn't qualify either, since he was only elected vice president and ascended to the presidency upon the assassination of Garfield.
True--I know I've heard this trivia question before but worded a little differently (probably a long time ago, too).

Go Cubs
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by cuppajoe View Post
al gore, "served fewer days than he should have."

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Nixon actually served *more* than a full term. I take the question is, "which presidents have not completed a full term to which they were elected for a reason other than death? I believe Nixon and Obama are the only ones. Other than the incumbent, only death and resignation have prematurely ended a presidential term, and Nixon was the only resignation.

Whether or not you include Wilson in that is semantics, because even when Edith was calling the shots, Woody was still officially president.
I think Ziggy is correct (and Martha is engaged in nasty name calling ), just Nixon and Obama. I hope Obama drops off this list next Jan 20th.

One more slight twist if we change "full term" to four years in the question one additional name is added. Who is it?
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #25
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
One more slight twist if we change "full term" to four years in the question one additional name is added. Who is it?
That would be FDR, I assume, having been sworn on a March 4 for a term that ended on January 20 when the 20th Amendment took effect.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...
I bet you were the kid at the class with your hand up saying, I know, I know, while the teacher desperately looked for some other student to call on.

Yes that is right again Ziggy
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:30 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Wilson is the worst POTUS in my mind.
I think Buchanan beats Wilson hands down, for sticking his head in the sand while the Union unraveled.

Wilson at least gave us the League of Nations.

And did you guys know that Tyler, Pierce and Fillmore, among others, had no Veeps? At least, that's what Wikipedia says, so it must be true.

"You'd be surprised at how much it costs to look this cheap." -- Dolly Parton
Urchina is offline   Reply With Quote