Join Early Retirement Today

Tropical Storm Hermine headed right for me!
Old 09-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tropical Storm Hermine headed right for me!

Looks like the projected path has it going right over our house.

Fortunately, it should cross 100 miles or so of land before visiting us. We don't expect more than 50 mph winds - mostly heavy rain. Unfortunately, there is a house under construction right next door.

We just bought patio furniture yesterday. All of the stores around here were getting rid of their outdoor furniture on clearance, so we figured we better get it now before it all disappeared before next year.

Well, it's all put away in our storage unit now.

REWahoo - I think Hermine is expected to visit you too!

Audrey
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

It's expected to wallop us with wind and rain tomorrow. Hope the rain doesn't come down too much too fast to cause flooding, and hope the winds aren't damaging. But we do need the rain.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We have a flash flood watch from Tuesday to early Thursday. Depending on where you live in North TX, you might see two to six inches of rain. We need every drop.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We just bought patio furniture yesterday. All of the stores around here were getting rid of their outdoor furniture on clearance, so we figured we better get it now before it all disappeared before next year.
Isn't this your second storm since you bought the place? Is this normal for your area, or is it some sort of meteorological commentary on your new fixed-abode lifestyle?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Isn't this your second storm since you bought the place? Is this normal for your area, or is it some sort of meteorological commentary on your new fixed-abode lifestyle?
The weather out here tends to be mostly dry with occasional major downpours. Both extreme drought and flash flooding are fairly common out here.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 09-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

After having the winds of both Rita and Ike pass through the neighborhood, we don't think measly 50 mph winds will down any trees as all the weak or insect-damaged trees have been taken out already.

Also folks have pretty good short-term memories, so they won't do anything stupid until there are few years of no hurricanes.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
REWahoo - I think Hermine is expected to visit you too!
Yes - but I won't be home: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post975329

We're currently overnighting in 'beautiful' Pecos, TX where my thermometer sitting on our campsite picnic table shows a temp of 102...
Old 09-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
We're currently overnighting in 'beautiful' Pecos, TX where my thermometer sitting on our campsite picnic table shows a temp of 102...
Whew!! Toasty!!!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Please keep safe everyone. I hope the tropical storm Hermine will not create too much damage.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Please keep safe everyone. I hope the tropical storm Hermine will not create too much damage.

Ditto. I know a couple of vacationing people who had to flee Earl and the Outerbanks last week.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
This is actually major storm #3. We were visited by Tropical Depression 2 a week after Alex which dumped a bunch more rain in the Rio Grande watershed and ultimately lead to a great flood.

I do wonder about the weather gods. They seem to rear their heads every time we buy something.

But we are about 80 miles inland from the gulf coast. And even though we aren't near an area of the gulf known for many named storms, in a busy season a few will head our way.

Normally we would be away for the most active storm months - August and September - and once our new neighbor's house is built our house will be relatively protected from high winds. But I guess there is a reason why our RV covered parking area was built to withstand hurricane force winds.

But, yes, it does seem to be piling up here this year. The great (40 year) flood we had since July 13 - the waters just receded finally a couple of weeks ago. The reservoirs are still pretty full, and it looks like a lot more water could be dumped into the Rio Grande watershed. Flood waters may rise again in a few days.

Audrey
Old 09-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yes - but I won't be home: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post975329

Whew! Ouch! Well I guess at least it's "dry" heat - LOL!

At least they grow great cantaloupes there. Worth stopping for.

We usually head for Davis Mountains State Park when in that area.

Hey - so smart to leave early! Good call! Hope you reach cooler mountains soon.

Audrey
Old 09-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
After having the winds of both Rita and Ike pass through the neighborhood, we don't think measly 50 mph winds will down any trees as all the weak or insect-damaged trees have been taken out already.

Also folks have pretty good short-term memories, so they won't do anything stupid until there are few years of no hurricanes.
Around here winds have to get to 40mph for it to be considered "windy" - LOL! We can get gusts 45mph+ just in "normal" weather.

My main concern is the unfinished roof next door and the stacks of lumber in the back yard. We picked up boards that had nails sticking out of them.

Don't really expect much to go flying, but you never know. The highest winds are expected after midnight, so I may not be able to sleep much.

Audrey
Old 09-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Right now, Hermione is going straight north, and looks like it will go right over Brownsville, well east of us. It made landfall about 40 miles south of Brownsville 1.5 hours ago with winds about 60mph. They are now getting a huge amount of rainfall around Brownsville and Harlingen.

We got a narrow by heavy rain band about noon today, but no others yet. So far wide bands have fizzled just before reaching us. We still expect a lot of rain. Maybe the winds won't be bad at all (knock on wood).

The cane toads are singing.....

Audrey
Old 09-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #15

You can always jump in the RV and move.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:38 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Good luck, everyone. May you Hermine treaat you as roughly as Earl did us. I left a beachball on the deck, and it didn't even blow away.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:23 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
You can always jump in the RV and move.
This storm really organized too quickly for us to do that, and as of now the weather is quite a bit worse along our exit path than here.

But at 1p.m. today just when we decided that maybe we should put away our patio furniture, one of our neighbors had pulled out their rig and was hooking up the toad. Maybe they already had a trip planned and decided to leave early (like REWahoo). Too late for us, we would have had to decide to leave many hours earlier - like the night before - in order to be pulling out by noon today.

Until very late last night tropical depression wasn't expected to reach named storm status.

Hermine is already past us, it passed just east of us, and we didn't even get much rain - which we really need. Maybe we'll get some today.

Audrey
Old 09-07-2010, 05:03 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Good luck, everyone. May you Hermine treaat you as roughly as Earl did us. I left a beachball on the deck, and it didn't even blow away.
+1. We didn't even get a drop of rain from Earl. Hope you all get through this without any problems.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:21 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

The edge of the storm is just about on us. The hour by hour forecast? 90-100% chance of rain every hour starting at 8 AM for about 24 hours or so...
Old 09-07-2010, 07:30 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

i checked the news at late sunday night from my hotel in harlingen. that was the first i had heard of any tropical weather. we packed up and scooted out of town yesterday around 10 am. just a lot of rain on the road back to houston.

stay safe, and dry.
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote