Join Early Retirement Today

Truck Rental
Old 02-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Truck Rental

I had to help move a few pieces of furniture of my son's today, including a queen size mattress. We do not have access to a truck, so we rented one from Home Depot. A Ford F-350. Cost was $19.95 plus tax~ NO MILAGE, just put in 1gal of gas for each 10 miles of driving. U-Haul wanted $19.95 plus .89 cents/mile. The only catch was that we had to finish our move in 75 minutes. We did it in 70 minutes.

Anyone have any other suggestions on how we could have done it cheaper (other than borrow from a friend)?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #2

It's not cheaper, but I bought a truck. First one was a 1985 Chevy, that lasted 18 years, followed by a 2003 GMC that was my retirement present from me to me.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

You found one of the truly el cheapo moving devices. Some of the stores require that you've bought something there that needs to be transported in the truck, and some have a really small mileage allowance before you have to pay extra....like 10-15 miles.

Trailer rentals at u-haul are about the cheapest. If the items can take a little wind, the open trailers are around $10 a day. Even the really big closed in trailers are something like $20-25 a day, no mileage.

You do need a tow vehicle though.

Best ROI of any tool/toy I ever bought was a 4x6 trailer for $299.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
................ Best ROI of any tool/toy I ever bought was a 4x6 trailer for $299.
I bought one of those cheesy little trailers that fold and stand on end from Harbor Freight. It works great for moving light but bulky stuff like the rolls of insulation I bought this fall or claiming some craigslist prize. When it stands on end, it doesn't take much more room than a bicycle.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
Old 02-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I think you mentioned that before, and thats what pushed me to go buy one...which will be what makes it YOUR fault!

My wife was highly skeptical of whether it'd be put to enough use, but man has it. At least a dozen trips to the dump - twice with over a ton of tile and drywall - about a half dozen appliance/furniture "deliveries" and I moved our entire house on it a little at a time.

Whats cool about the smaller trailers is that if you're on a level enough surface, you can unhook them from the car and push them around into the back yard, or as I did, right up the front door to unload my two big screen tv's.

I cant stand this one on end, but I can shove it into the bushes until its pretty much invisible.

These were end of year clearance items at Home Despot. They'd sat outside all year and the wood deck was a little grayed and there was a speck of rust here and there. Nothing a little black spray paint and a $2 gallon of premium exterior paint from the "oh, thats not the color we wanted" shelf at HD couldnt fix.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #6
gone traveling

CFB What's the DMV costs ETC. here in CA or are you toteing under the radar?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

There was some sales tax and a one time fee for the permanent license. I think you used to have to pay every couple of years in CA but not anymore.

I added it to the insurance on my truck. It was something like $15 a year to cover it for liability, theft and collision with a $50 deductible.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I foolishly believed that trailers were dumb until I bought a 5' X 10' landscape type Carry On. It realy is useful and convenient for hauling all sorts of stuff. This trailer is far superior for hauling than any pick up truck I've had. It's much easier to load and unload too. It does require that you plan ahead however.

I keep mine in the garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1002046croped.jpg (53.5 KB, 5 views)