Join Early Retirement Today

Truckers Protest High Fuel Prices, Clog NJ Turnpike
Old 04-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Truckers Protest High Fuel Prices, Clog NJ Turnpike

Truckers are protesting high fuel prices.

Truckers Protest High Fuel Prices, Clog NJ Turnpike - News Story - WNBC | New York

High fuel prices are affecting the prices we pay for food and other services.

GOD BLESS US ALL

Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pass it on to the consumer. Geez I wont even charge for that advice.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Unfortunately for the independent truckers who are protesting high diesel prices, that's much easier said than done. Most work through brokers, who, along with shippers, set the rates they will pay truckers to haul goods. The rates haven't kept pace with the dramatic increase in fuel prices. So truckers pay more for fuel but don't get compensated for their increased costs. Long term, that won't work.

I know two independent drivers who've parked their rigs and are looking for other jobs.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post

Yes I cannot figure this one out raise your shipping costs!!!

Are they afraid the guys who run with a company will undercut them because their fuel is paid by the company?

But it would seem to me raise your trucking fees to cover your costs.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Unfortunately for the independent truckers who are protesting high diesel prices, that's much easier said than done. Most work through brokers, who, along with shippers, set the rates they will pay truckers to haul goods. The rates haven't kept pace with the dramatic increase in fuel prices. So truckers pay more for fuel but don't get compensated for their increased costs. Long term, that won't work.

I know two independent drivers who've parked their rigs and are looking for other jobs.

Ah Ha

My response was answered.

I guess if enough stop hauling at these prices the brokers will have to make a move.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #6

Bad deal for the truckers. There is no magic switch to flip to get them cheaper fuel. Somehow the price of fuel needs to be passed along faster then.

Sorry for the initial nonchalant post.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #7

Not only are the truckers suffering from the high fuel prices but so are the farmers and ranchers who grow our food.

With the price of oil being at over $100 a barrel and with the limited refineries it appears that high fuel prices will be with us for quite some time. I just hope that we do not lose a lot of our independent truckers and a lot of our family farms and ranches.

What the heck everybody is feeling the pinch in their wallets from the high fuel costs.

GOD BLESS US ALL
Old 04-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I understand that they are really being squeezed. But they are directing their anger at the wrong target. It's the price of crude that they need to protest, and American oil companies have little to zero influence on that at this point.

In fact, refining is a very low margin business with high capital needs. Refiners are currently operating with expremely tight crack spreads. Many are operating at a loss, and in some cases they are not even covering variable costs. Many refiners are shutting down plant for "unscheduled maintenance", which essentially means "I am tired of putting out $110 every day and taking in only $100."

Nobody wants crude prices to go down more fervently than refinery operators.

Truckers should talk to A-hab, the A-rab.

Or talk to G.W. Bush and Clinton and our glorious congresspersons about fiddling while Rome was catching fire.

Ha
Old 04-01-2008, 11:30 PM   #9

When the cost of diesel fuel is more than unleaded regular, something wacky is going on. I met with a fleet mgr recently that buys diesel IN BULK and currently pays > $4/gal. Diesel is normally less than or equal to unleaded regular at retail. Ive seen this happen before and cetainly there is a connection to the runup in crude but also I expect its the runup before the election season price reductions (ala 2004). I wonder how long it takes for a barrel of crude to get refined and reach a retail user.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:04 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

A news piece indicated that refiners are running below capacity... thus keeping fuel prices a bit higher by lowering supply. Capacity utilization is about 82%.

Yes, we are getting scr3wed.

UPDATE 3-U.S. refiners run at slowest rate since 2005 | Markets | Reuters
Old 04-02-2008, 07:10 AM   #11

MSNBC article - Congress questions Big Oils big profits - Executives deflect blame for skyrocketing fuel costs

Congress questions Big Oil’s big profits - Oil & energy - MSNBC.com

The questioning of big oil by Congress is a couple of days (years) late and few millions if not billions of dollars late.

Old George W and Congress need to get off their rear ends and pressure OPEC to bring down the price of crude. Refineries need to be working at full capacity.

Finally Old George W needs to tell the Arab countries which we are protecting that they have one choice to bring down the price of crude or else we will leave their country and thus we will no longer protect them. I am sure that things will change quick.

With the average price of gas at about $3.26 and the price of diesel at about $4.06, it just does not make any sense for big oil to be making these huge profits while ordinary Americans are paying through the nose for fuels.

GOD BLESS US ALL
Old 04-02-2008, 07:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
MSNBC article - Congress questions Big Oils big profits - Executives deflect blame for skyrocketing fuel costs

Congress questions Big Oil’s big profits - Oil & energy - MSNBC.com

The questioning of big oil by Congress is a couple of days (years) late and few millions if not billions of dollars late.

Old George W and Congress need to get off their rear ends and pressure OPEC to bring down the price of crude. Refineries need to be working at full capacity.

Finally Old George W needs to tell the Arab countries which we are protecting that they have one choice to bring down the price of crude or else we will leave their country and thus we will no longer protect them. I am sure that things will change quick.

With the average price of gas at about $3.26 and the price of diesel at about $4.06, it just does not make any sense for big oil to be making these huge profits while ordinary Americans are paying through the nose for fuels.

GOD BLESS US ALL
Wags again you are not thinking here. How in the world will we the american driver continue happy tooling around the interstate without a supply of saudi oil? The mexican fields are crashing in fact they will be dry in less than 5 years, Chavez he might not want to sell his heavy crude to us most cannot be used for gasoline anyway, Russia? Yea right bottom line unless americans change their habits and type of vehicles gasoline lines NASCAR people will be pi$$ed off royally and things will get very ugly here in america. Remember gasoline lines in the 70s? The next time will be real trouble.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Wags again you are not thinking here. How in the world will we the american driver continue happy tooling around the interstate without a supply of saudi oil? The mexican fields are crashing in fact they will be dry in less than 5 years, Chavez he might not want to sell his heavy crude to us most cannot be used for gasoline anyway, Russia? Yea right bottom line unless americans change their habits and type of vehicles gasoline lines NASCAR people will be pi$$ed off royally and things will get very ugly here in america. Remember gasoline lines in the 70s? The next time will be real trouble.
Wow, newguy talking about economic catastrophe here. I never thought I'd see it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #14

dj vu 1975.

Things will adjust eventually. People will either drive less, buy smaller vehicles, pay more, most likely a combination of all three.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Wow, newguy talking about economic catastrophe here. I never thought I'd see it.

So ziggy you were 9 years old during the last energy crisis, you may have sat in a gasoline line in the back seat . Dude the lines and shortages were stinko. Lets hope we don't have to deal with them again.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
A news piece indicated that refiners are running below capacity... thus keeping fuel prices a bit higher by lowering supply. Capacity utilization is about 82%.

Yes, we are getting scr3wed.

UPDATE 3-U.S. refiners run at slowest rate since 2005 | Markets | Reuters
Like I said above- no one likes to sell product below breakeven.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Like I said above- no one likes to sell product below breakeven.

Yea but the dumbarse changeover to summer fuel! Whata joke, the air we breath yadayadayada. Its all bad for ya.. George carlin!!

Build a new refinery!! Oh we are told business does it better than govmint!! But since business IS NOT BUILDING NEW REFINERIES maybe the GOV might twist some arms or build them !!
Old 04-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Yea but the dumbarse changeover to summer fuel! Whata joke, the air we breath yadayadayada. Its all bad for ya.. George carlin!!

Build a new refinery!! Oh we are told business does it better than govmint!! But since business IS NOT BUILDING NEW REFINERIES maybe the GOV might twist some arms or build them !!
Well environmental regulation is a big deal with building refineries. Plus no one wants one in their backyard.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

NewGuy, I appreciate that you were a government worker. But how well did the City of Newark do with its schools?

Also, we are not short of refineries. Crude is too expensive for what people are willing to pay for refined products. That is why refineries are being temporarily shut down. Because the refiners are losing on margin, and they can't make up on volume.

If you can read income statements, pull any recent statement for a pure-play refiner. You will see that their margins are being tightly squeezed.

Longer term we may or may not be short of refining capacity. If the crude price stays high, US fuel demand may stagnate or even fall over time.

Isn't that what you are always ranting about? That we need to cut down on crude purchased from those Arabs? Why would we refine it if we aren't planning to burn it?

It's great to have strong opinions, but it helps if they are tempered by a little understanding of the topic.

Ha
Old 04-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #20

MSNBC article - Price of oil jumps as gas demand increase - Cost at the pump returns to record levels and look to go even higher

Price of oil jumps as gas demand increases - Oil & energy - MSNBC.com

Excerpt from article

Falling gasoline inventories and rising demand suggest supplies are tightening as the peak summer driving season approaches. That could boost gas prices further, and keep oil prices elevated.

End of excerpt

It appears that prices at the pump will continue to go up and up.

GOD BLESS US ALL