Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Trying to decide when/how to leave my company...(LONG)
Old 07-21-2006, 10:21 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2006
One thing a four-year degree suggests is that the recipient at least stayed out of jail for four years. From Ben Stein's book on retirement: "One of the most celebrated archetypes in our culture is that of the rebel: the guy or gal who refuses to fit in, breaks all the rules, and only does things his or her way. A smart-ass attitude and a contempt for ordinary working stiffs completes the picture. The problem is, even though these sorts of heroes do well in movies, in real life they tend to be losers -- especially when they've passed their 15th birthday."
that's s far from true i dont know where to begin! i wont even touch the jal thing...because it makes little sense.

but th 'rebel' thing is right and wrong. maybe the rebel w/o a cause is a loser, but people who dont conform the societal norms and tend not to be sheep following the herd are what our country was founded on.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2006, 10:35 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

As an employer, I could overlook the convictions if they were for pot, if the skills were there. There is a big fat line in the sand drawn between pot and meth, though. It sounds like fed's troubles only concerned pot and I think the public is becoming more tolerant of this. GWB has as much as admitted that he blew coke through 4 years at Yale and people seem okay with it.

Old 07-22-2006, 05:39 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
GWB has as much as admitted that he blew coke through 4 years at Yale and people seem okay with it.
I'm no fan of GWB -- very far from it. But GWB's circumstances are a little different from OP's.

First, W made a real effort to change his life and his way of doing things, or at least to appear to change. Second, W has family wealth and connections, personal wealth, and good educational credentials. So he can, to some extent, get away with lots of "attitude." As far as I can tell, however, the OP has none of the above except the attitude. Makes a huge difference in real life. This may be what Ben is saying. OP doesn't seem to get it.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2006
I'm no fan of GWB -- very far from it. But GWB's circumstances are a little different from OP's.

First, W made a real effort to change his life and his way of doing things, or at least to appear to change. Second, W has family wealth and connections, personal wealth, and good educational credentials. So he can, to some extent, get away with lots of "attitude." As far as I can tell, however, the OP has none of the above except the attitude. Makes a huge difference in real life. This may be what Ben is saying. OP doesn't seem to get it.
Please tell me you're kidding. Where do you get the idea that I havent changed? I went from being a kingpin(believe it or not) to an ethical, 9-5 working family guy. The transition has taken 3 years and isnt complete, but it's happening.

What exactly, is it that I 'dont' get? i'd like to know, since you seem to 'get' it all.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:05 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

fed
Take this in the spirit intended. But you are all over the place.....Collections....Rehabs...Cleaning....Land scapimg....next month Taxes? Month after Computers? Then Phones

Your felony convictions can hinder you. Getting licenses could be a problem. Say maybe a Contractors License? Do you need one for cleaning ducts?

My advice....Pick something a stick with it. If you are going to clean ducts then do THAT! Landscaping? Then do THAT! Focus all of your energy and attention on that venture. When you don't, you spread yourself too thin and bad stuff happens.

my 2 cents
Old 07-23-2006, 08:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr
fed
Take this in the spirit intended. But you are all over the place.....Collections....Rehabs...Cleaning....Land scapimg....next month Taxes? Month after Computers? Then Phones

Your felony convictions can hinder you. Getting licenses could be a problem. Say maybe a Contractors License? Do you need one for cleaning ducts?

My advice....Pick something a stick with it. If you are going to clean ducts then do THAT! Landscaping? Then do THAT! Focus all of your energy and attention on that venture. When you don't, you spread yourself too thin and bad stuff happens.

my 2 cents
I feel exactly the opposit, actually. Since everything I've put my mind to in life is a success, why not do a few things? Once I see a market/opportunity to exploit, I'll go full force with it. I'd have no problem landscaping 2 days/week and cleaning ducst 2 days a wee and doing some odd jobs once/week. Once any of these ventures has a huge, undeniable potential, I'll focus more energy thre. I'm playing the odds. You always hear "x out of 10 buiness fail in the firstyear"...well, I'm hedging

Old 07-23-2006, 11:13 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

But how will you know if the business' will go unless you give 100%? Now you may be in the stage of your life where you are trying everything to see what you like/love. But once you have found the "thing" give it 100%.

Let's say you are cleaning ducts and a call comes in for yard mowing. What are you going to do? Clear out early from cleaning ducts so that you can trim a yard? What could you be working on in the duct cleaning biz when you are out mowing yards? Marketing? Networking? Smoozing? Joining a local organization of duct cleaners? Resting so that you are fresh in the morning?

Why do business fail in the first few years? Cash Flow and undercapitalized. You've got your duct cleaning truck paid off (IIRC) so that frees up cash flow. And your throw everything against the wall strategy creates cash flow. So that is good. But there is a point where you need to decide what it is you are all about.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
I went from being a kingpin(believe it or not) to an ethical, 9-5 working family guy. The transition has taken 3 years and isnt complete, but it's happening.

The transistion isn't complete? Complete it before you screw up all your hard work. Then think about leaving your job and being wholly self employed .

Good luck. You have lots of drive.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:24 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
The transistion isn't complete? Complete it before you screw up all your hard work. Then think about leaving your job and being wholly self employed .

Good luck. You have lots of drive.
No, it isn't. I still have to remind myself day in and day out what I'm here for, who I'm here for, what makes me happy, and how to accomplish what needs to be done. The lure of easy fast money is there...I cant escape it. I dont know if/when I will be on auto-pilot, but for now its still a 'manual' operation.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:17 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
No, it isn't.* I still have to remind myself day in and day out what I'm here for, who I'm here for, what makes me happy, and how to accomplish what needs to be done. The lure of easy fast money is there...I cant escape it.* I dont know if/when I will be on auto-pilot, but for now its still a 'manual' operation.
Hey, don't feel bad, I have to remind myself of the same things every day, and the closest I have ever been to a brush with the law is a parking ticket.

Back to the original topic, I would suggest that you get the stuff you have going right before you jump into other ventures. I have seen plenty of entrepreneurs let themselves get spread too thin and it is usually costly, at least in the short term. But I would make the leap if I were you.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Hey, don't feel bad, I have to remind myself of the same things every day, and the closest I have ever been to a brush with the law is a parking ticket.

Back to the original topic, I would suggest that you get the stuff you have going right before you jump into other ventures. I have seen plenty of entrepreneurs let themselves get spread too thin and it is usually costly, at least in the short term. But I would make the leap if I were you.
thanks for the input brewer, much appreciated
Old 07-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #32

the more I think of the logistics, the more I see that I can actually do this. The real question now is WHEN will I grow the balls to actually do it.

I took the risk 5 years ago, but then, money was easy and fast. Now I have to work for it, which is fine, but it doesnt come in so steadily.

I keep telling myself "When you have whole days and weeks to yourself, you can:

a)spend 10-20 hours/week on the phone soliciting duct cleanign sales

b)concentrate on making my duct cleanign website more visually appealing as well as easily accessible through search engines

c)Create a website related to my ebay sales that I can market through yahoo and google advertising programs (I found a neat little niche that is goign well on ebay)

d)spend a day each week making stops at real estate offices,doctors offices,hvac offices etc to promote my duct cleaning business

e)spend as much time as i need working on my rehabs,thus freeing up some capital set aside for contractors

f)have all day every day available to answer duct cleanign phone calls and travel for estimates

But I wonder...am I just making excuses? Cant I do some of this stuff BEFORE I pull the plug? Yeah...I probably can. But why is it so hard to pull the trigger and get it goign now... yet I feel like it will be simple as pie once I am not tied down from 9-6 daily.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:47 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Time for some rocky mountain oysters, dude!

Dunno if you are wired the same way, but when I have to make a decision involving a lot of zeros it helps me if I can lay out everything on a spreadsheet. Of course the numbers won't be an accurate forecast, but if you stick in reasonable, conservative assumptions and things still look OK, it can be a help.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:06 PM   #34

Quote:
I probably can. But why is it so hard to pull the trigger and get it goign now... yet I feel like it will be simple as pie once I am not tied down from 9-6 daily.
I think this is the question everyone asks on this forum...
Old 07-25-2006, 02:01 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Because you have a hairball. You built it over the course of years during which you were told that you had to grow up, get a job, and earn a paycheck. This was reinforced through your teenage years as you started getting jobs, had to pay for your own apartment and had to buy food and other necessities. Life = success = money and stuff = job = paycheck.

It is now ingrained in you that not having a job is akin to high wire balancing without a net over a pit of crocodiles. No job, no success, no life, failure.

You look at all that good data that tells you that you can quit and safely retire or make a living on your own. And without evaluating that data your hairball kicks back a buttload of worry and concern.

Cough up that hairball.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:56 PM   #36

There is no such thing as a hairball. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly has one.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:18 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Course I made $30,000 in one month.*
What the heck were you doing?

Ha
Old 07-25-2006, 11:51 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
What the heck were you doing?

Ha
Selling dope?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:01 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Cough up that hairball.
Thanks for the early morning image. :P

I think I need to go take some asthma medication.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:34 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Selling dope?
that's a lot of dope.