Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Trying to decide when/how to leave my company...(LONG)
Old 07-26-2006, 08:49 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Felons and hairballs and dope, Oh MY!

This thread has gone down the Yellow Brick Road for sure. Where is that wicked witch anyway? Oh wait, that was my first wife. Even water couldn't melt that b*tch.

Toto! Toto! Antie Em! Antie Em!

There's no place like home.........There's no place like home.

Hack...hack...cough...gag...................ah much better now! That nasty hairball is gone.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2006, 10:03 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
This thread has gone down the Yellow Brick Road for sure. Where is that wicked witch anyway? Oh wait, that was my first wife. Even water couldn't melt that b*tch.
You should have tried dropping a house on her.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:18 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
What the heck were you doing?
I don't want to let my secret job out of the bag, because I may go back to it later in life and do something big with it (nationwide).

Let's just call it "Engineering data collection". I had a crew of around 12 working for me when I made that much in one month.

That would be a lot of dope though.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:36 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
You should have tried dropping a house on her.
I'll bet he did "drop a house" in the divorce. :P

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:09 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I'll bet he did "drop a house" in the divorce. :P

You got that one right. A house did drop but not on her. A lot of other stuff got dropped too and mostly on me but that is water under the bridge.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:20 AM   #46

So... I sat down and CRUNCHED the numbers....
If I maintain my current lifestyle but exclude my splurge purchases...which are rare (2-3k/yr on home improvements,travel,nifty gadgets, car hobby), I need a meager 900.00/month to survive.

This is only considering rental income from 3 properties. No duct cleaning. No side jobs. NOTHING.

I can clear that with 3 duct jobs/month....each taking about 3 hours to complete. I'm averaging 6/month without advertising for the last 4 months.

BUT, if I continue to work and deal with the crap, I can be saving 1500-2500/mo....which is good for me....this is on a lowball guess of 3-6 duct cleaning jobs/month.

So I feel myself being lured back into working for'the man'...the lure of another 10-15k cash cushion looks mighty intriguing and SHOULD only take another 6 months to get there...

ahhhh! i hate this

whats funny is the numbers im spouting off on here are a few 00's short of most of you all....but its the same conundrum
Old 07-30-2006, 12:45 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
So... I sat down and CRUNCHED the numbers....

ahhhh! i hate this...

...whats funny is the numbers im spouting off on here are a few 00's short of most of you all....but its the same conundrum
Join the club.
There is no competition here on the number of zeros after you "number" there is only what works for YOU. If you need to work a few more months before you can have enough to escape to your business income then so be it. That would be the prudent thing to do if you can do it. If it is a life or death situation where you health is being affected, then bail out now; otherwise stick it out until you have a cushion. Once you get there bail out and go solo with enough cash to carry you incase the business slows down or some other financial issue comes up. Being under funded with too little cash is the major reason for small businesses to fail.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:42 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Before you decide to stick with the man, try this on for size: How many duct jobs a month would it take for you to save 1500 a month? How difficult would it be to get there? What other income opportunities do you regularly pass on because you don't have time to pursue them?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:00 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Before you decide to stick with the man, try this on for size: How many duct jobs a month would it take for you to save 1500 a month? How difficult would it be to get there? What other income opportunities do you regularly pass on because you don't have time to pursue them?
I know brewer...that's more or less the way I'm looking at it. I easily have 1+ years cash for taking the plunge now. BUT, I want a bit more. I know I will pull the trigger soon, but when?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:23 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
I know brewer...that's more or less the way I'm looking at it.* I easily have 1+ years cash for taking the plunge now. BUT, I want* a bit more.* *I know I will pull the trigger soon, but when?
Maybe never. You might want to set a firm line in the sand and push yourself once you cross it.

The only regret I have about my younger days is that I didn't take enough risk. Live and learn, I guess.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote