Trying to find a recent thread related to death

DatumPoint5

Recycles dryer sheets
A very close friend of the family just passed away totally unexpectedly. Evidently, there were several financial accounts and insurance policies naming other close family friends as beneficiaries.

The beneficiaries have never had to deal with sorting through "another persons life". Finding all the information, organizing the estate, canceling credit-cards, securing the residence etc, etc.

I want to offer them a "list of things to do" and, as I prepared the list, I remembered reading through a thread on this forum, several months ago, that had an "exhaustive list of things to do after someone dies".

So far, after numerous searches, I can't seem to find it. I will keep looking, but, I am hopeful that someone here on the forum (with a better memory than mine!) will remember the thread.

If anyone remembers the "things to do" thread, please post it. Your assistance will be most appreciated!

W2R, Braumeister,

Unfortunately, no, it was neither of those threads. The thread I am looking for started off as a simple "what to do" and then someone started posting a long detailed factual "to do list" of exactly what to do. One small detail I seem to remember is an anecdotal mention of "finding a receipt" in a pile of papers for a company they did not recognize, and then after some research, found that the receipt was for a large life insurance policy!??!

There were a lot of anecdotal responses, but, someone who had experience with the issue, sat down and banged out a long, comprehensive list of issues to attend to soon after someone dies. I don't remember who it was, but, they did a very good job!

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will keep looking and hoping.......

Last edited:
One other thing one might do is check the unclaimed property lists in states where the decedent lived. Eventually all property that is not claimed will end up there. One way one can find insurance policies is I understand that states are getting more strict in requiring that after a policy pays out on the 100th birthday of the holder and no claim is made after a couple of years the death benefit gets escheated to the state.

My thanks to everyone for the timely replies. Although I did not find the thread I had in mind, I was able to collect enough info from the links you each provided to create my own list of "things to do".

Thank you. Your efforts are most appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom