Join Early Retirement Today

Trying to go Part time from Full Time advice
Old 06-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Trying to go Part time from Full Time advice

Hi All,

Seeking your advise. I can retire but was thinking of trying to convince my boss to let me go part time with benefits. I would get 4 day weekends and they would get three days per week with the ability for me to be on-call.

I am going to approach my manager with this later next month but wanted to see if others have done this and if it was successful.

I see setting up a meeting with him and saying.... I am looking to spend more time pursing non work related interests and I would like to propose that I work part-time(25 hrs/week) from full-time. I am willing to be on-call while not working and would be willing to re-asses how this arrangement is working after 3 months. If it is not working I would go back to full time.

If he say's no then I will give him my notice.

What do you think

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it's a great idea. If that is what you want to do and you are prepared for them saying "no", you cannot lose either way.
aim-high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you work for a small operation or a Megacorp? My Megacorp actually had a program buried in the HR manual that was often used by parents.

I basically decided that I wanted to do it, and not worry about any possible negative consequences. I then approached my lead engineer and let him know about my desire and motivation for doing it. Basically got him on board. Then approached my manager. He was a bit taken aback but said that he would take it to his boss. A few months later I got the approval. Worked like a charm while it lasted.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #4

If you have already decided to leave if they say 'no', then you've got nothing to lose by asking. Good luck!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My only added thought is what has occurred to me and may not be applicable to you. I swore I wouldn't do it again, but this year is my last time for PT work. Due to my pension, I only return 50 cents on the dollar for each hour worked accounting for taxes and gas. Very demoralizing to someone who is not a 1% ER. So from now on if I need additional money, I will spend less to get it, instead of working for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I think it's a great idea also. I did the same thing. It started with Fridays off, then 2 days off, then 3. I agreed to be available by phone and email, and I made sure that I answered phone calls/emails pronto when I was working part time. Now retired, I still have my company phone and lap top. I told them that I would continue to answer their questions as long as they pay my cell phone bill. I have an email or 2 a week that I address.

You should be fine as long as you keep lines of communication open, and be able to delegate tasks when you're not at work.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I did something similar. Mine was drive more by not wanting to travel as much as I was so I cut back to 80% and then later to 50% - then to 0%

You should get clarity as to what you mean by "on call". My 80% and 50% time was not defined as specific days as you are proposing, but more as hours over a year so there might be weeks that I would work a lot offset by slower weeks, but the nature of our business is that I was always "on-call".

The problem I found is that the work (mostly conference calls with clients and colleagues) might be a couple hours in the morning or a couple hours in the afternoon and would frequently get "re-scheduled" at the last minute and further screw up my day so I couldn't "get away" for whole days even though I was only 50% time.

My employer decided that 50% of pb4uski's time was better than 0%. In our case we had an established policy/route for part time work.

The only part of your post that seems contradictory is the idea that if it doesn't work out you would go back to full-time. Do you really mean if it doesn't work out you would just leave entirely?

Good luck.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #8

Most places you have to work at least 30 hrs to get bennies.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Probably true, but at Mega it was anything over 50%. At 50%, my health insurance cost was the same as a FT employee, and most other things were pro rata (vacation accruals, etc).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You should get clarity as to what you mean by "on call". My 80% and 50% time was not defined as specific days as you are proposing, but more as hours over a year so there might be weeks that I would work a lot offset by slower weeks, but the nature of our business is that I was always "on-call".
+100!

What is the nature of your work? When you're "on call", would you possibly get random phone calls that would only last 5 minutes or so to deal with, a few times a day? Something like that, for instance, would be difficult to really live your life around, versus a "call" that would then require you to suddenly set aside 5 hours straight for it. You won't want to be semi-retired...only to spend all day, every day you're not at work ready to drop what you're doing on a moment's notice just to handle a very short-duration task that you would only get paid 1/4 hour for.

Make sure you have minimum time increments you'd get paid for if you handle something while on-call that makes it worth your while. There might be periods where you get no calls....but sure enough, there will be times that you might get high frequency stretches.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Megacorp used to do that, when the recession hit, the answer became No. I too, would be concerned about the oncall. I'm probably jaded, but my experience was oncall ment you stayed with an issue 24×7 untill resolution or turnover to another area. Can't hurt to ask.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:50 AM   #12

There's always a Dilbert cartoon for any situation.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:59 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I went to part-time last August which translates into 75%, so I still retain bennies. I work for a University, so they just moved me to an academic appointment which means that I get a paycheck for only 9 months and have to save for the three months without paychecks. My boss wanted me to have shorter days but have me on site every day. I nixed that idea and insisted on 3 weeks on and one week off. It has worked well, and I am mostly able to pursue my creative interests during my off weeks. That said, the time off has only fueled my desire to be fully unemployed, and I am thinking seriously about retiring for good at the end of this academic cycle (August 15th).
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #14

I went to part time (20hrs/wk) during the last six months before I retired full time. I had given my boss plenty of advanced notice (~6 months) of my planned retirement but as the date approached he asked if I would stay on awhile longer. I said I would but only if I could work half time, and he agreed. Whether it will work or not I think depends on what your current job involves. I was involved in a very dynamic fast paced engineering project and going half time made it difficult for me to keep up with everything that was going on. I really didn't enjoy it and with hindsight should have left on my original date or if deciding to stay on and help out for a few additional months should have done it full time.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote