Join Early Retirement Today

Trying to Unwind after Stressful Commute
Old 04-10-2019, 10:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Usually my commutes are just long and tiring, but I've had two bad ones lately. About a month ago I ran onto a subway car, a gentleman in there was in the process of a bodily function that should only be done in a private bathroom. (Needless to say, I ran off the train at top speed as soon as the doors opened.)

Today I was on a subway car in Manhattan, when a poor passenger was stabbed/slashed. It happened a few feet away from me, but I didn't see or hear it happen. I was reading this forum at the time, and another passenger across from where I was sitting was playing his HUGE boom box at full volume.

The police/ EMS came, the victim was treated. The perp got away. According to the witnesses, it was unprovoked and the victim was screaming in pain. I was told there was video.

The potholes that make my teeth rattle don't look so bad now . . .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2019, 10:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
Usually my commutes are just long and tiring, but I've had two bad ones lately. About a month ago I ran onto a subway car, a gentleman in there was in the process of a bodily function that should only be done in a private bathroom. (Needless to say, I ran off the train at top speed as soon as the doors opened.)

Today I was on a subway car in Manhattan, when a poor passenger was stabbed/slashed. It happened a few feet away from me, but I didn't see or hear it happen. I was reading this forum at the time, and another passenger across from where I was sitting was playing his HUGE boom box at full volume.

The police/ EMS came, the victim was treated. The perp got away. According to the witnesses, it was unprovoked and the victim was screaming in pain. I was told there was video.

The potholes that make my teeth rattle don't look so bad now . . .
Oh my gosh!!! I am so sorry that you had to go through this.

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:08 PM   #3

Thank you W2R. I keep thinking about that poor man. I just don't understand how a person can do that to another person.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
Thank you W2R. I keep thinking about that poor man. I just don't understand how a person can do that to another person.
I don't either. It's hard to regard people like that as even being human.

I hope you will be able to sleep after seeing something like that.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:14 PM   #5

Thank you.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:18 PM   #6

I am so sorry you had to go through that. I can’t even imagine.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:22 PM   #7

Thank you Terry.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:04 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear of your experience.

The problem with public transportation is that 'public' is a very broad term.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Oh my gosh!!! I am so sorry that you had to go through this.
+1
I was lucky during my work years. I lived in a town where I could drive my car a few miles in fairly low traffic roads. I can't imagine riding a bus or subway in the conditions you describe.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:34 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

In eight years of daily subway commutes (high school and college) I could probably write a book about all the weird things I saw, and things back then weren't nearly as weird as they are today. You really have to be aware of what's happening in your surroundings.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:59 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Marie, the first 16 years of my 23-year career included a daily ride on the NYC subways. While I never encountered anything as horrible as what you saw, I remember entering a subway car which had feces smeared on the floor, making most of the stinky car uninhabitable. And I did see another passenger get his pocket picked before the doors close behind him.

The feces incident was on an inbound train at Brooklyn, and it happened on my first day back from a California vacation. Welcome back to NY, huh?

As I have written here in this forum countless times, the commute was the number one reason I retired. Even after reducing the commute twice in my last 7 years, it was still too much as it burnt me out.

You have my sympathies, Marie.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:51 AM   #12

I spent many years: first a car to LIRR Station, LIRR to Penn station or Brooklyn then subway to downtown uptown and Brooklyn depending on where our office happened to be. I never felt completely safe and I often delt with the smells/sights from the various characters that rode the trains. In the early 80s as an accountant I often rode the subway late in the evening past 42nd street (At the time it was referred to as the big deuce) It was the Wild Wild West. I always carried a hard sided briefcase for defense. Just Terrible. I remember one night I was sure it was my size that made a gang walk past for easier prey.

I believe it was mayor Koch that cleaned it up (loved that guy)

Like scrabbler1 Iíve seen it all and never liked it. When I moved to Penn and had a 9.5 mile car ride to work; It was a joy. I never forgot that NYC commute.

It was one day on the subway when a pan handler didnít get anything from the people in the car and got angry that ill never forget. He let lose with some of the nastiest profanity Iíd ever heard... Just another day in NYC - God I donít miss it.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have to totally agree!

The NYC subway is absolutely disgusting -and has gotten worse over the last 20-30 years. I take a commuter train daily into NYC which is clean, safe, and comfortable.... but when I have to jump on the subway to go to meetings - it is absolutely gross.

I too can report insane things - even earlier this week, three different panhandlers in the same subway car (mine) at the same time! One reciting poetry, a mother with her 6 month old baby in a harness, and another person spewing profanities.

It's funny, I think it was last week, a subway car door opened at the Penn Station stop, and the few people on the car, tailed out as fast as possible and ran into the next car. I didn't even want to know what was in that car...I also boarded an adjacent car.

Very very soon this all will be a memory for me.
Alvin Tostig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:15 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Definitely not NYC, but Iíve seen some interesting characters on the DART rail later in the evening. Unfortunately, I mostly ride downtown for the occasional hockey game, and, of course, the venue doesnít allow weaponry. But, on the other hand, post-game the cars are packed with hockey fans!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #15

Wow...how terrible!!! I am sorry to hear of your experience.

Makes me very happy to live in "flyover" country and not deal with public transportation.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:05 PM   #16

West Virginia keeps looking better and better all the time.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

My last day of work, going home on the metro in DC. Train car was fairly empty...homeless person started taking a leak on the far side of the train away from me. Funny thing is, those in the car were all on their phones. Not a single person noticed. And people wonder why they get mugged.

At the next stop...I was the only person who got off the train and moved to another one. I wonder if anyone figured it out when that fresh smell of urine hit their nostrils.

That was the last memory of riding the metro. I havent been back to the city since. I dont miss it one single bit.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Marie, the first 16 years of my 23-year career included a daily ride on the NYC subways. While I never encountered anything as horrible as what you saw, I remember entering a subway car which had feces smeared on the floor, making most of the stinky car uninhabitable. And I did see another passenger get his pocket picked before the doors close behind him.

The feces incident was on an inbound train at Brooklyn, and it happened on my first day back from a California vacation. Welcome back to NY, huh?

As I have written here in this forum countless times, the commute was the number one reason I retired. Even after reducing the commute twice in my last 7 years, it was still too much as it burnt me out.

You have my sympathies, Marie.
The first incident I mentioned, same thing. Except - the depositing was in process: an outbound Brooklyn train.

Thank you for the kind wishes. I will not miss my commutes.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Tostig View Post
I have to totally agree!

The NYC subway is absolutely disgusting -and has gotten worse over the last 20-30 years. I take a commuter train daily into NYC which is clean, safe, and comfortable.... but when I have to jump on the subway to go to meetings - it is absolutely gross.

I too can report insane things - even earlier this week, three different panhandlers in the same subway car (mine) at the same time! One reciting poetry, a mother with her 6 month old baby in a harness, and another person spewing profanities.

It's funny, I think it was last week, a subway car door opened at the Penn Station stop, and the few people on the car, tailed out as fast as possible and ran into the next car. I didn't even want to know what was in that car...I also boarded an adjacent car.

Very very soon this all will be a memory for me.
Yep, sounds about right. It is especially disturbing to see the mother using the baby like that. The profanity I have also heard. Once when I was young and first commuting into the City, I offered to take a woman into a fast food place and buy her meal: and she cursed me out.

There are the panhandlers who travel in groups; and those that travel separately.

My max (of unrelated panhandlers) was inbound Brooklyn, from Atlantic Terminal to Borough Hall: for a total of five in one morning.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow, what a nightmare for you!
I gladly drove/did ride share 45-60 minutes each way while working. No way I wanted to hop on the bus or light rail in our city, for many of the reasons listed. Not in New York, but similar problems here with transients.