Join Early Retirement Today

TSA to Restrict some state Drivers License
Old 01-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
TSA to Restrict some state Drivers License

I saw a TV report recently on DLs in CA that were causing a problem as the "Citizen" DL was not much different than the "alien" DL, but CA is not one of the 9 states listed.

Quote:
Beginning Jan. 22, 2018, travelers from nine states will no longer be able to travel with only their driver’s licenses.
Residents of Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Washington will have to use alternate ID forms (passport, military ID, or permanent resident card) to pass TSA security checkpoints—even for domestic travel.
Driver Licenses From Nine States Won’t Be Valid IDs for Domestic Flights in a Year | Travel + Leisure

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #2

This was the topic of much discussion here in Kentucky.
The legislature passed a bill to make the licenses compliant but the governor vetoed it.

We have another extension now for 2017, but I doubt we'll get another. The governor's bluff will most likely be called.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
Administrator

This has been an issue for years. The REALid act (here) was passed in 2005, and set new requirements for state-issued drivers license to be acceptable as federal identification. States have been given many extensions, this short list has not yet complied.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This has been an issue for years. The REALid act (here) was passed in 2005, and set new requirements for state-issued drivers license to be acceptable as federal identification. States have been given many extensions, this short list has not yet complied.
Yes, I have little empathy for those states. Recall that RealID originated as a response to the 9-11 attackers using DLs to avoid using passports.

There is also that little passport card for frequent border crosser's to Canada and Mexico that could be used by a person in a non-compliant state.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
There is also that little passport card for frequent border crosser's to Canada and Mexico that could be used by a person in a non-compliant state.
I've had one of those for years, which is why my state's non-compliance isn't a big deal for me. I'll just stick the passport card in my wallet next to my DL.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #6

I didn't even look to see if the ND license is on the list. If I never fly again it will be too soon.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Forwarded information to my sister in Maine. She flew once a month at her former job.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Folks can get a global entry ID or use their passport.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:12 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Inasmuch as there's nothing in the Constitution or even in the PATRIOT Act that allows the federal gov't to arbitrarily create and enforce a federal ID, there's definitely good reason for states to not comply. The act was passed as a rider on the Tsunami Relief funding bill, which was considered "must pass" legislation, so it was never specifically voted on. Also, it's in clear violation of the Unfunded Mandates clause of the 10th Amendment. It's just another federal government grab of a right that belongs to the States, which is the main reason for a lot of the non-compliance. If the comments in this thread were against the idea, I'm sure it would be closed already. However, since many people here (including moderators) accept the limitations on our constitutional freedoms that have been enacted over the last decade of so, it's probably going to keep going, although this comment may get deleted.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:28 PM   #10

When I read an article about this a couple of months ago, I learned that Pennsylvania not only declined to comply with the REAL Act, legislation was passed that specifically prohibits the PA DOT from complying. We must have some Constitutional scholars in Harrisburg.

We have passports that we will use for domestic travel when needed.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:41 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Inasmuch as there's nothing in the Constitution or even in the PATRIOT Act that allows the federal gov't to arbitrarily create and enforce a federal ID, there's definitely good reason for states to not comply.
Just for discussion's sake: If the federal government has a Constitutionally-legitimate role with regard to regulating and insuring the safety of interstate commerce, and if this includes helping to assure the safety of air transportation, and if doing that requires some means to identify people who are a threat to the safe execution of this commerce, from a practical standpoint it would seem that the >least< intrusive means to accomplish the goal is to have the feds set some minimum standards for acceptable IDs issued by the states.
The feds aren't saying the states have to meet the standards (and they don't), but then those IDs won't be accepted by TSA.

Interestingly, >nobody< has to present an ID document to be allowed by TSA to board a plane. But, they do have to be willing to answer some questions about themselves.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:59 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Just for discussion's sake: If the federal government has a Constitutionally-legitimate role with regard to regulating and insuring the safety of interstate commerce, and if this includes helping to assure the safety of air transportation, and if doing that requires some means to identify people who are a threat to the safe execution of this commerce, from a practical standpoint it would seem that the >least< intrusive means to accomplish the goal is to have the feds set some minimum standards for acceptable IDs issued by the states.
The feds aren't saying the states have to meet the standards (and they don't), but then those IDs won't be accepted by TSA.

Interestingly, >nobody< has to present an ID document to be allowed by TSA to board a plane. But, they do have to be willing to answer some questions about themselves.
Since Federal IDs can be obtained by individuals who wish to fly or visit Federal buildings or military installations, the state drivers license acceptable as ID seems to be more of a convenience thing.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

When I got my TX driver's license renewed a couple of months ago, I noticed a gold star in the corner of it. Couldn't figure that one out as I had not received a gold star since the first grade.

Then I found this (for the state of Texas) https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLice...lRealIdAct.htm
Old 01-04-2017, 09:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Since Federal IDs can be obtained by individuals who wish to fly or visit Federal buildings or military installations, the state drivers license acceptable as ID seems to be more of a convenience thing.
It might be convenience, because the latest passport numbers from 2016 are 46% of the population has a passport. If they have a passport, they probably already fly. But at the time, the alternative was probably not to accept any DLs at all for air travel, after what happened on 9-11. I'm wondering if that would have caused an uproar with the airlines because most people use their DL for ID.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #15

My current state New Mexico was not RealID compliant until just the past month. New licenses now are RealID compliant, but all older ones are not. Root cause for this: NM allowed illegals to get drivers licenses, exact same license as for citizens for many years. Now with a new law change and the need for RealID compliant, the illegals get a "driving authorization" license and citizens have to provide a long list of required documentation to get the new RealID license; and pay the fees for obtaining the new license

Here is some real irony, NM will not accept a federal ID as one of the required documents; federal ID being a badge with name and picture issued by a federal agency. In order to get a RealID compliant license you need to provide: SS card, birth certificate (official copy, with embossed seal or similar), two copies of utility bills or other to prove you live here (along with marriage certificate if the bills are in spouse's name), and your existing non-compliant driver's license. Even a passport is not valid instead of your SS card. Any wonder why NM is always at the bottom of the lists of good states??

Federal ID is plenty sufficient to board an airplane, but not for NM ID purposes.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote