Join Early Retirement Today

Tsunami Warning
Old 02-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tsunami Warning

EWA BEACH, Hawaii – A tsunami threatened the Pacific Rim on Saturday, with an 8.8-magnitude earthquake off Chile sending potentially deadly waves across the ocean at the speed of a jetliner.

Hawaii blasts sirens, warning of possible tsunami - Yahoo! News
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
EWA BEACH, Hawaii – A tsunami threatened the Pacific Rim on Saturday, with an 8.8-magnitude earthquake off Chile sending potentially deadly waves across the ocean at the speed of a jetliner.

Tsunami Warning Center updates first wave arrival time to 11:05 Hawaiian Standard Time, 4:05pm Eastern.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow. These earthquakes are devastating. Good luck to our Hawaiian residents.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

8.8 is a really strong earthquake, significantly stronger than the January 12 one in Haiti. This quake has apparently killed over 120 people in Concepcion, shattered the airport terminal in Santiago, and rocked buildings in Vino del Mar and Valparaiso. While Chile have a much better infrastructure than Haiti, the narrowness of the country means that a lot of in-country travel is dependent upon single roads and bridges, some of which have been damaged. As yet Chile has not requested international help. But the effects must be devastating.

I experienced a 5.9 quake while visiting Santiago in 1997. We were 400 miles from the epicentre. I'm glad I don't live in an earthquake zone!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The earthquake in Chile is said to be 500 times more powerful than the recent Haiti quake and according to the NYT, was on the same fault line that generated the 9.5 Chilean quake in 1960.

Thoughts and prayers to all affected...and to those in the tsunami zone, GET TO HIGHER GROUND!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

whiotv
Breaking: First #Tsunami waves to hit Hilo, HI at 11:05HST, 4:05EST. 8 Foot wave predicted. Hawaii Blasts Sirens, Warns Of Possible Tsunami - News Story - WHIO Dayton
Old 02-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

I'm waiting for the tsunami to come ashore. I have a good vantage point to watch if anything significant happens. Current predictions are around 6 feet or so, but no one really knows for certain. DW and I are far enough inland that we are not required to evacuate. In fact, the current state of evacuation is vertical, not horizontal. Waikiki hotels are sending guests up above the 3rd floor. The main traffic we are seeing is folks running out for bread, TP, Spam and gasoline. Reminds me of the calm before a winter storm in the midwest.

I was receiving calls at 5 AM from mainland friends to be certain we were safe. Then the sirens started at 6:00 AM. I've lived through tornadoes, but this will be a new experience.

Friends are taking their boat out a couple of miles into deep water to avoid damage in the harbor. The surfers are still out - maybe looking for that perfect wave

Folks are checking on each other and offering places to stay, so the Aloha spirit is alive and well. If anything happens, I'll let you know.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Somebody go tell surferboy Nords its time to get out of the pool....

Old member Honobob has a pretty much perfect view AIR - high condo overlooking a beach.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Folks are checking on each other and offering places to stay, so the Aloha spirit is alive and well. If anything happens, I'll let you know.
Hold on tight...we are thinking of you...be safe.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
The earthquake in Chile is said to be 500 times more powerful than the recent Haiti quake and according to the NYT, was on the same fault line that generated the 9.5 Chilean quake in 1960.
I have read that the Haiti earthquake was magnitude 7.0, whereas the Chile earthquake was magnitude 8.8. Since the scale is logarithmic, if my math is correct, the Chilean one is only 63 times stronger

10^8.8/10^7.0 = 63

In any event, a grievous catastrophe. I have been to Chile, including in Valparaiso and Vina del Mar. It is my favorite country in South America.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #11

Yes, thinking about all of you in HI. I have a cousin who lives up above Kailua State Beach.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #12

Praying for DD, in the Laie (north shore Oahu) area. Worried sick...hope it doesn't turn out badly.

R
Old 02-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The Tsunami Warning Center was on this all last night. They sounded the warning sirens this morning (6 AM & 7 AM) to get people moving up. There was another siren at 11 AM as a reminder that it was showtime. The evacuation has been carried out and the whole state is locked down.

Hilo Bay & the park (which used to be bustling waterfront until the 1960 tsunami) seems pretty calm. There's a definite surge but thankfully it's less than forecast. We've seen a couple cycles now and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

I've never seen so many live beach cameras... if we get through this without damage, the Hawaii Visitors & Conventions Bureau is going to be turning backflips over all the free coverage. Streets, malls, parks, everything is closed. I think everyone is hunkered down somewhere with a camera feed.

Sailboats have been ordered to sea. Most marinas on Oahu require all their sailboat tenants to actually drive outside the breakwater once a year before they're allowed to sign a lease, so everyone's expected to be seaworthy for a mile past the breakwater.

We heard that Pearl Harbor sortied four warships but no details. If it's a busy weekend then it's possible that's everyone who was inport but I don't know for sure. Haven't heard whether or not submarines were required to sortie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Praying for DD, in the Laie (north shore Oahu) area. Worried sick...hope it doesn't turn out badly.
I can't ever recall a traffic mess up there. I think this is going to be the best-executed (and best-covered) tsunami in history.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The Tsunami Warning Center was on this all last night. They sounded the warning sirens this morning (6 AM & 7 AM) to get people moving up. There was another siren at 11 AM as a reminder that it was showtime. The evacuation has been carried out and the whole state is locked down.

Hilo Bay & the park (which used to be bustling waterfront until the 1960 tsunami) seems pretty calm. There's a definite surge but thankfully it's less than forecast. We've seen a couple cycles now and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

I've never seen so many live beach cameras... if we get through this without damage, the Hawaii Visitors & Conventions Bureau is going to be turning backflips over all the free coverage. Streets, malls, parks, everything is closed. I think everyone is hunkered down somewhere with a camera feed.

Sailboats have been ordered to sea. Most marinas on Oahu require all their sailboat tenants to actually drive outside the breakwater once a year before they're allowed to sign a lease, so everyone's expected to be seaworthy for a mile past the breakwater.

We heard that Pearl Harbor sortied four warships but no details. If it's a busy weekend then it's possible that's everyone who was inport but I don't know for sure. Haven't heard whether or not submarines were required to sortie.

I can't ever recall a traffic mess up there. I think this is going to be the best-executed (and best-covered) tsunami in history.
Good to know you're OK.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Ir has been pretty cool to watch the Tsunami hit. The various cams and TV stations have lots of coverage. The water surging in and out of Hilo bay three times was pretty noticeable even if far smaller than a disaster movie special effect.

On Oahu the local surf sites have seen a few foot surge. From my house on top of a mountain what is most impressive is to see every boat in the harbors out in the ocean.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

The Pacific Tsunami Center guy was saying this may have been the perfect Tsunami big enough for everybody to see it but not large enough to cause any damage. I agree with him, I am not the waterman that Nords is but I've swum the 2.4 mile Waikiki Roughwater several times, and I would not have wanted to be in the water in the last hour.

So I can't fault the Civil Defense authorities for their actions at all. However, the government pitiful use of the web and newer technology to communicate to the citizen, residents, and city and state employee was embarrassing.

Plus I am pretty sure that folks digging out of the 3rd blizzard this year, are wishing for natural disaster that happen in sunny 80 degree weather.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Glad to hear all our friends in Hawaii are OK! I know it's been a hassle with alarms sounding at zero dark early and evacuations but better safe than sorry. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers tonight.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #18

Quote:
The Pacific Tsunami Center guy was saying this may have been the perfect Tsunami big enough for everybody to see it but not large enough to cause any damage
It's hard to describe something as massive as this totally accurately, but 5 people killed on Robinson Crusoe Islands and coastal South American towns sustained damage that is certainly more than "not large enough to cause any damage"

Glad the warning system worked as well as it did.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Glad to hear everybody is okay ! My Sister is supposed to be traveling to Chile next week on business .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
It's hard to describe something as massive as this totally accurately, but 5 people killed on Robinson Crusoe Islands and coastal South American towns sustained damage that is certainly more than "not large enough to cause any damage"

Glad the warning system worked as well as it did.
I think some smaller pacific islands saw 7 foot tsunamis.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote