Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Well, I guess it depends on whether you are aiming for resale to younger couples who like the jet tub, or geezers who are thinking wheelchair-sized showers.

Actually my sense is that overall the really old (thinking my mom who is in her 80s) would rather have a large shower than a tub (she doesn't use a wheelchair but getting up and down in a tub is hard for her) and younger couples would prefer showers. My (teenagers and younger adults) never use a tub. The exception would be the younger couples who want to give a bath to a young child and prefer a tub. However, most of them would be OK with a tub in a secondary bathroom not the master and usually wouldn't use a large jetted tub for that.

I think the crowd that is most likely to want a large jetted tub is the middle aged who just grew up expecting it and started buying homes when the epitome of luxury was the jetted tub before fancy showers became popular.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

About a walk-in tub.... It looks like you have to walk in and sit there while the water runs and fills up all that space around your feet before the water gets up to where it's comfortable and your upper body is submerged. So you are sitting there undressed and cold. Same thing in reverse when you are done. You sit there wet and naked while waiting for the water to drain out enough to open the door.

Sounds like you'll need a huge hot water tank or a tankless water heater.

Full disclosure - I'm not a bath person. To me it's like sitting in a soup of all the things you are trying to wash off (skin cells, sweat, hair, toe jam, etc). Then having to deal with the ring left behind from soap or shampoo makes the next bath a chore.

I know plenty of people who love a good bathtub soak. I also know people who insisted on the huge jetted tub in their bathroom redesign and don't use it.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post

I know plenty of people who love a good bathtub soak. I also know people who insisted on the huge jetted tub in their bathroom redesign and don't use it.
I know people who passed on the jetted tub because of cleaning issues of the recirculated water in the jet mechanism. They have deep "soaking tubs" instead. I read the first half of this thread yesterday while soaking in my regular little tub.

Both of our adult kids have only big showers in their master baths, and regular tubs in their second baths.
Not having a master bath myself, I don't have to worry about what's in there.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

There are maybe 3 levels here:

1. People who really don't care about soaking or water massage at all. They use showers exclusively.

2. People who like soaking in warm water but either don't care about the water massage or are concerned with the hygiene aspects of the typical jetted tub. Many of them would prefer a soaking tub with no jets or never use their jets.

3. People who really do like the massage aspects of the jetted tub. You can further divide them into 2 subgroups. Those who can only get the massage aspects from the tub and those who have other options. The first group may not have room for a stand alone spa or don't a pool with a spa or don't want to spend the money on one, etc. The other group does.

In the house we were building we were not going to have a tub in the master bath. We now do have a jetted tub in the house we bought instead but rarely used it. In the last 10 1/2 months I've used it exactly once. DH liked the soaking aspects so would sometimes use it just to soak.

However we recently bought a stand alone hot tub spa (Sundance Maxxus) which we placed on our patio right outside the master bedroom. For us it gives us a much better water massage than any jetted tub would do, and gives a great soak. One reason that I think I sometimes see homes without any tub in the master bedroom is when the owners either have a pool with a spa built in or they have a stand alone spa.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would be just fine with just a shower in the master bath, especially if there was a tub in the house (mostly for resale purposes...families with young children and all). It would be great to have one of those big fancy showers with the jets from all directions. My master bath has a soaking tub (never used) and a walk in shower with a seat (where I keep my numerous shampoos). I like a shower curtain on the shower, not glass doors, as I just change them out as they get grungy after a couple of machine washings. There are some really nice shower curtains out there!
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Idle thoughts... How about an ofuro, the smallish deep Japanese soaking tubs? We were thinking about going to the shower-only setup for our master bedroom, and DW mentioned that every once in a great while she'd like a good soak. Ofuro are becoming more common out on the west coast. They tend to be smaller in length and width than the traditional US bathtubs, but much deeper (three feet seems to be pretty common here, deeper than in Japan), and often with a built in seat. It's used like a spa pool, showering off first before a nice clean soak.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

We just redid all three baths in our house this last summer. We took out the big soaking tub as it just was ill-placed, too big and we never used it. ZERO regrets as the new larger shower + the new very large linen and the toilet now in its own room was well worth it. New cabinets, and we added heated tile floors--it is indeed heaven! In the second bath we added new cabinets and a new tub/shower combo with the same heated floors. The 1/2 bath just got new tiles and cabinets.

As an Architect I see the trend moving away from the big tubs as most people don't use them. Our neighbor just took his out too this last month, so it isn't uncommon in the market here.

The house we sold to buy this one didn't have a tub and it sold fine, and I imagine if/when we sell this house it will sell fine. It is a great home in a great location in a great setting. The other assets to the house (like each of the bedrooms having a large walk in closet, the heated floors, etc) easily outweigh the very minor (in my opinion) negative of not having a soaking tub. Personally I think in situations like this you have to look at the totality of your home, not an individual piece of it. If your house is not in a great neighborhood, or location, or the master bedroom is small, or the house feels like it is all hallway, etc--then not having a soaking tub might be the deciding factor. Frankly if someone came to buy my current home and that was the deciding factor for them, well, frankly to be honest I wouldn't want them to buy my house!

About building for your use or the market--again just my personal opinion, but I view this as my house, and I want to enjoy it, thus it has things "I" want in it. I think as long as the things you like are within reasonable standards of the local community (ie. no dark purple or green walls, or tiger skin wall coverings!) you really won't have an issue when you sell.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Believe me I wish I was more certain that it would be money well spent, and how to far to go with updates Going part way could actually be a complete waste of time & money. It seems most realtors & designers we talk to (including some we know personally) tell us while you can indeed sometimes find buyers who'd rather have a home as-is at a big discount, most really don't want to bother with renovations (and don't have the imagination to visualize what could be) so the market is far better for turnkey homes. We realize we're not going to get what we put into it back, though we've already done the 2.5 baths and kitchens still seem to be higher paybacks than most home renovation projects.
I think realtors and designers are biased towards updates. Designers, for obvious reasons, and realtors because they can increase the selling price of the home and have easy bullet item boasting points and very little work when a home fits a pre-conceived ideal.

We "interviewed" 3 realtors when selling ours. One, the "top selling realtor" for the area really wanted us to at least update the light fixtures, if not other items. We went with the realtor who was fine selling the home as is and focused on setting the right price. The home sold very quickly, under contract in less than a week, and closed within 10 days. I'm so glad we didn't put the effort into any remodeling. And the old, stained linoleum on the floor in that kitchen was truly horrid........

Again, we didn't sell at a big discount.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
... most really don't want to bother with renovations (and don't have the imagination to visualize what could be) so the market is far better for turnkey homes...
I have also heard that most people do not have the cash to pay to do an update themselves. If the renovation is included in the price of the house and financed, they can then afford it.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have also heard that most people do not have the cash to pay to do an update themselves. If the renovation is included in the price of the house and financed, they can then afford it.
Hmmm - I suppose having an idea who might buy the house gives a good clue as to how important renovation and financing might be.

We knew it was unlikely that a young family would buy our house, as it really was too small for a growing family. They are the most likely to be cash strapped IMO. It was more likely a single person - maybe a young professional, or childless couple (Austin being a city with lots of young professionals). It turned out a retired senior widower bought our house - the single story was appealing, and oodles of room for one person. He paid cash.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I sold my 1.5 storey older home to a young couple buying for the first time. They asked for the basement drawings that I had drawn up 10 years before (I decided not to undertake that reno) and they immediately began working on the basement as well as installing new windows. Obviously they had some extra cash available.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

When we chose our current house, the large shower in the master bath (which also has the jetted tub) did not have doors, which delighted us. When we came back a few days later, there were doors
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote