Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Turbo Tax black Friday deal?
Old 11-23-2018, 07:35 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 189
Turbo Tax black Friday deal?

Posters on the forum had me stoked for a great smoking deal on Turbo Tax on Black Friday, perhaps $19.99. Now its Black Friday and I cant find a deal? Does anyone see a good deal on it?
__________________

MrsHaloFIRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2018, 07:40 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,685
Not sure about Black Friday, but usually on New Year's Eve price for Turbotax (Deluxe version) drops down to $39.99 ($20 less than the often $59.99) at Amazon.

I have my camelcamelcamel price watch already set and am ready to pounce once I get an email saying the $39.99 price is triggered .

Plus, I can wait since I'm in no hurry to do my taxes .
__________________

__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,908
Certain levels of clients at Fidelity get state/fed for free. Watch for the link on your summary page in the coming weeks.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:02 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,256
Bought 2018 Turbotax Home & Business for $20 off at Amazon
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 7,212
H&R Block Tax Software Deluxe + State 2018 with 5% Refund Bonus Offer



by H&R Block

Platform : Windows Vista, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks



List Price: $44.99 Deal of the Day: $18.00 & FREE Shipping.
Ends in 14h 26m 09s
You Save: $26.99 (60%)
__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 45,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
H&R Block Tax Software Deluxe + State 2018 with 5% Refund Bonus Offer
Here's a thread on the deal: Amazon Deal of the Day: H&R Block Deluxe + State
__________________
Numbers is hard

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 42,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
Posters on the forum had me stoked for a great smoking deal on Turbo Tax on Black Friday, perhaps $19.99. Now its Black Friday and I cant find a deal? Does anyone see a good deal on it?
I usually get TT deluxe with state for $39 from Amazon, between Christmas and New Years like easysurfer said above. It usually goes on sale on Amazon during that week. I bought it at $39 on 12/27 last year, and on 12/29 the year before.

But do NOT buy TT deluxe with state from Amazon right now; first of all, it's still $49 at the moment. Secondly, the reviews of the one I usually get, say that they are sending everyone the version without the state included and charging the higher price for the version with state included. Presumably this is an accident, but what a hassle. So, I'm waiting patiently until after Christmas.
__________________
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
- - - J. A. Shedd, 1928
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

But do NOT buy TT deluxe with state from Amazon right now; first of all, it's still $49 at the moment. Secondly, the reviews of the one I usually get, say that they are sending everyone the version without the state included and charging the higher price for the version with state included. Presumably this is an accident, but what a hassle. So, I'm waiting patiently until after Christmas.
As I wrote in another thread, I verified that they've fixed this in the download version. I can't be sure about the disc version. I'm sure it was a hassle for the people who bought early, thus the poor reviews, but it's fixed now. No need for this warning.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 42,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
As I wrote in another thread, I verified that they've fixed this in the download version.
Good point. I'm only talking about the DISK version. I have no interest in the download version and have no idea if/when it normally goes on sale or if they even have sales on the download version.
__________________
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
- - - J. A. Shedd, 1928
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #10
Moderator
Jerry1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,670
I think this is standard, or has been for some time. I always get the CD and it doesn’t actually have the State on the disk. I’ve been having to download that for some time. With all the updates, there’s not much point in buying the CD. It’s not like the CD has a final product on it. I’ve always bought it just because it makes me feel better to have a physical product in case I need it in the future. With the disk, I feel like I’d be better able to prove ownership later, however, I’ve never actually had to do that. Oh well. Buy the disk when you get a good deal. You’ll be downloading the State anyway.
__________________
Every day when I open my eyes now it feels like a Saturday - David Gray
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 42,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I think this is standard, or has been for some time. I always get the CD and it doesn’t actually have the State on the disk. I’ve been having to download that for some time. With all the updates, there’s not much point in buying the CD. It’s not like the CD has a final product on it. I’ve always bought it just because it makes me feel better to have a physical product in case I need it in the future. With the disk, I feel like I’d be better able to prove ownership later, however, I’ve never actually had to do that. Oh well. Buy the disk when you get a good deal. You’ll be downloading the State anyway.
Yes, but for FREE - - as has always been the case for those who buy the CD version with state (which makes the state download much cheaper than otherwise, which is why people buy it if they want the state). Right now they are sending a version that requires an extra $39.99 to be paid to obtain the state after paying $49.99 for TT+state, instead of getting the state download for $0.00 . https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Delu...8RE61TV54KRJG4

See the reviews for the details. First time I have ever seen TT with only 2 stars, and ~100% of those reviewing are mentioning this because it's not standard and they are furious.
__________________
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
- - - J. A. Shedd, 1928
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,303
Yeah, I looked at the reviews for the CD version. The recent ones are all good. They had an initial problem that was bad but it's now safe to order.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 42,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Yeah, I looked at the reviews for the CD version. The recent ones are all good. They had an initial problem that was bad but it's now safe to order.
Yes, I see a couple of reviews (ONLY from yesterday and the day before?) that say they got the state for free as promised, finally. One says he had to contact Amazon to get it straightened out. Other reviews from yesterday and the day before yesterday (which to me would be included in "recent"), said they are still not able to get the download for free. What a huge hassle!!! But either way, the price is still $10 more than it will be in a month, so I'm waiting. By that time, there should be a preponderance of reviews indicating that all is well. I'm in no hurry, but I suppose that if I was I'd pay the extra and take my chances.

Wow, you'd think I was an absolute, utter moron given the responses to my pointing out my observation. I didn't think it was that difficult to see the problem that the TT+state has or had; maybe I was too assertive, or maybe I am not communicating accurately or well. I probably need a second cup of coffee, or maybe even a third, PRONTO.... I know you guys are reasonable! It must just be me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I usually get TT deluxe with state for $39 from Amazon, between Christmas and New Years like easysurfer said above. It usually goes on sale on Amazon during that week. I bought it at $39 on 12/27 last year, and on 12/29 the year before.

But do NOT buy TT deluxe with state from Amazon right now; first of all, it's still $49 at the moment. Secondly, the reviews of the one I usually get, say that they are sending everyone the version without the state included and charging the higher price for the version with state included. Presumably this is an accident, but what a hassle. So, I'm waiting patiently until after Christmas.
__________________
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
- - - J. A. Shedd, 1928
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:25 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yes, I see a couple of reviews (ONLY from yesterday and the day before?) that say they got the state for free as promised, finally. One says he had to contact Amazon to get it straightened out. Other reviews from the day before yesterday (which to me would be included in "recent"), said they are still not able to get the download for free. What a huge hassle!!! But either way, the price is still $10 more than it will be in a month, so I'm waiting. By that time, there should be a preponderance of reviews indicating that all is well. I'm in no hurry, but I suppose that if I was I'd pay the extra and take my chances.

Wow, you'd think I was an absolute, utter moron given the responses to my pointing out my observation. I didn't think it was that difficult to see the problem that the TT+state has or had; maybe I was too assertive, or maybe I am not communicating accurately or well. I probably need a second cup of coffee, or maybe even a third, PRONTO....
Geez, chill out and get a thicker skin. You said "right now" they are shipping the bad version. That doesn't seem to be accurate anymore since most new reviews are saying it's fixed. Other recent bad reviews could be from a purchase days earlier, when the bad version was going out.

You also can't guarantee the price will be $10 lower in a month, just because it was last year. And some of us want to get started on our estimates as early as possible, especially since we can't do Roth recharacterizations into next year. If people like myself want to buy it now, there is no reason not to. 3-4 days ago I wouldn't have said so, but that warning is no longer accurate. I'm not going to apologize for trying to set the record straight.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #15
Administrator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lumpen slums of cyberspace
Posts: 29,850
Why don’t we all chill and enjoy the day. Personally, I’d wait an extra couple of days to make sure everything is working as intended.

Are the tax programs usable right now? I recall in past years that the first versions weren’t usable because too many updates were needed, and it wasn’t until mid-December that one could start preparing the year’s tax return.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:22 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Atlanta suburbs
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
But do NOT buy TT deluxe with state from Amazon right now; first of all, it's still $49 at the moment. Secondly, the reviews of the one I usually get, say that they are sending everyone the version without the state included and charging the higher price for the version with state included. Presumably this is an accident, but what a hassle. So, I'm waiting patiently until after Christmas.
I read this just a little late. Oh well !!!
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:27 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Coronado
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Are the tax programs usable right now? I recall in past years that the first versions werenít usable because too many updates were needed, and it wasnít until mid-December that one could start preparing the yearís tax return.
The IRS hasn't released final forms or instructions for TY18, so it depends what you want to use it for. All you can get right now are the software companies' best guesses as to how the IRS will interpret the new tax law, informed by the draft forms that have been issued so far. There are gaps in the available information, so I expect a lot more variance between programs, more software updates, more clarifications from the IRS, more 1040-Xs needing to be filed, etc.

If your return is not complicated and you need a rough estimate for a Roth conversion or your January payment, it's usable. Otherwise, probably not.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,685
As far as TT Deluxe on Amazon, I monitored the price last year and the low point was around New Year's Eve. Price didn't drop any lower post New Year and before paying Uncle Sam Day.


I'm in no rush and got plenty of things to do to keep my mind busy before then .
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 4,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Certain levels of clients at Fidelity get state/fed for free. Watch for the link on your summary page in the coming weeks.
You know I never knew about this deal until reading it here a few months ago.
Then again the family accounts are now combined into the Private Client status.
__________________
TGIM
Dtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #20
Administrator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lumpen slums of cyberspace
Posts: 29,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
The IRS hasn't released final forms or instructions for TY18, so it depends what you want to use it for. All you can get right now are the software companies' best guesses as to how the IRS will interpret the new tax law, informed by the draft forms that have been issued so far. There are gaps in the available information, so I expect a lot more variance between programs, more software updates, more clarifications from the IRS, more 1040-Xs needing to be filed, etc.

If your return is not complicated and you need a rough estimate for a Roth conversion or your January payment, it's usable. Otherwise, probably not.
Thanks, thatís what I thought. At least for me, thereís no real advantage to getting it now, so Iíll wait. Hopefully Iíll get it free from Fidelity.
__________________

MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Terminology Funny: Black Monday vs Black Friday 38Chevy454 FIRE and Money 9 08-27-2015 05:39 AM
Vanguard deal on Turbo Tax 2013 now available Lsbcal FIRE and Money 71 12-31-2013 02:58 PM
Black Friday steve88 Other topics 84 11-29-2007 07:05 PM
SO, who braved the night for Black Friday? camberiu FIRE and Money 35 11-29-2006 01:29 PM
"Black Friday" Shopping Deals REWahoo Other topics 7 11-14-2005 12:55 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:50 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.