Join Early Retirement Today

Turkey Carving - Gimme Some Skin
Old 11-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Turkey Carving - Gimme Some Skin

Many years ago I watched a black and white Julia Childs video entitled, "How to Carve a Turkey". Its been on my Thanksgiving table ever since. Leave it to Julia, its special.

First using a sharp knife, (I like a fillet knife) hold it close to the tip and sneak it just under the skin up over the legs and around the base and the slide the blade underneath the skin and carefully lift the skin off the turkey and set it aside.

Remove the drumsticks and wings. Set them aside. Now carve the bird. Keep the dark and white meat separate if you wish. If stuffed, put the stuffing in a serving bowl and discard the carcass (or save it for soup). On a large platter, arrange the drumsticks and wings in the anatomically correct position, heap the meat in the center and cover with the skin. Work it a bit, and your carved turkey will look like it did just out of the oven. Put it on the table. Somebody will say, "Hey, I thought you were going to carve this".

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM View Post
Many years ago I watched a black and white Julia Childs video entitled, "How to Carve a Turkey". Its been on my Thanksgiving table ever since. Leave it to Julia, its special.

First using a sharp knife, (I like a fillet knife) hold it close to the tip and sneak it just under the skin up over the legs and around the base and the slide the blade underneath the skin and carefully lift the skin off the turkey and set it aside.

Remove the drumsticks and wings. Set them aside. Now carve the bird. Keep the dark and white meat separate if you wish. If stuffed, put the stuffing in a serving bowl and discard the carcass (or save it for soup). On a large platter, arrange the drumsticks and wings in the anatomically correct position, heap the meat in the center and cover with the skin. Work it a bit, and your carved turkey will look like it did just out of the oven. Put it on the table. Somebody will say, "Hey, I thought you were going to carve this".
This sounds very nice. Could you make a video and put it up?

I am considered an OK carver, but the turkey sometimes looks like it ran into a saw.

Ha

Old 11-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #3

No video this year. I'll be a guest not the host. But after few egg nogs who knows? Stay tuned. Don't worry go for it!
Old 11-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Can't find it on YouTube. We will have to use your written account.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
On a large platter, arrange the drumsticks and wings in the anatomically correct position, heap the meat in the center and cover with the skin. Work it a bit, and your carved turkey will look like it did just out of the oven. Put it on the table. Somebody will say, "Hey, I thought you were going to carve this".
So do people have to slice off pieces of skin if they like it?
Old 11-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
....arrange the drumsticks and wings in the anatomically correct position, heap the meat in the center and cover with the skin. Work it a bit, and your carved turkey will look like it did just out of the oven. Put it on the table. Somebody will say, "Hey, I thought you were going to carve this".
That would never work for me as i probably could not resist eating a nice chunk of skin as I'm carving.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
So do people have to slice off pieces of skin if they like it?
use sissors... er, kitchen shears. Yeah, thats the ticket
Old 11-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

This is the way that I do it, with regard to the breast (starting at 1:00). You can spread the breast slices out in a way that makes them look very fancy.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This is the way that I do it, with regard to the breast (starting at 1:00). You can spread the breast slices out in a way that makes them look very fancy.
We're roasting a turkey breast on the bone as opposed to a whole turkey. I have always taken slices one at a time straight from the bird, but this approach removing the whole breast and slicing 'cross cut' on the cutting board makes a lot more sense to me. That's what I will do later today, thanks for the video!

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote