Votes: 16 11.3%
  • Dine out - turkey

Votes: 21 14.9%
  • Dine out - no turkey

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A TMI moment....

* we have rules: no politics, no religion, noaches&painsmydoctorsaysthis topics... helps us share space for a few days.

A moment of silence please for my septic system, my electric bill and my liver :)

We have same unwritten, unspoken rules. We have one sister who like to "bait the hook" with political snarks occasionally. No one bites and it passes.

Moment of silence duly observed. :D

Information I gathered about turkeys:
The Meier, local grocery store, turkey $.87/lb. injected with all sorts of stuff, raised in crowded conditions, given anti biotics
Local butcher, $3.87/lb. raised in Omish country near by, free range, no filler, no antibiotics
Harvest Market, upscale grocery store, $2.67/lb, also raised on local farm, free range, no filler, no antibiotics.
I like a turkey who enjoyed their life in free range conditions. We're going for the $3.87/lb happy turkey.

The Meier, local grocery store, turkey $.87/lb. injected with all sorts of stuff, raised in crowded conditions, given anti biotics
Local butcher, $3.87/lb. raised in Omish country near by, free range, no filler, no antibiotics
Harvest Market, upscale grocery store, $2.67/lb, also raised on local farm, free range, no filler, no antibiotics.
I like a turkey who enjoyed their life in free range conditions. We're going for the $3.87/lb happy turkey.

I'm sure the bird will be thankful you picked her! :cool:

Just like happy cows and pigs, the meat tastes better. They do feel stressed in crowded conditions. That stress transfers to the meat.

Mass market animals are often raised conditions we should be ashamed of. Additionally, the diet may include growth hormones (etc) that is in the meat we feed to ourselves and our family.

We try to consider food as medicine, buy local farm raised meat and poultry, and grow a lot of our veggies. But that just us. To each their own.

Happy Turkey Day! :)

Mom doesn't want to do Thanksgiving at her house anymore. Somehow that translated into- "so we're having it at Ugeauxgirl's house." 13 people! It will be an unusual combination of Cajun and Redneck dishes. In addition to the fried turkey and smoked turkey breast, there will be eggplant rice dressing and collard greens.

Yes, we are having a turkey cooked at home, as always. And this year it is a farm-raised turkey I got from a former co-worker's farm.........really looking forward to eating this one. I am planning to cook it on the Weber grill, using chunks of sugar maple, after wet brining it for a day or so. :)

I buy one of those price leader turkeys, this year 39 cents a pound, then brine it for a few days before smoking it in my smoker. Everyone loves it and it takes very little work.

We hold a poker tournament and then there's karaoke later. The kids play outdoors if weather is good, or have their own video gaming tournament, ping pong, croquet, ride the mini bikes, etc.

Next day we head to the forest to cut down a Christmas tree. Permits are only $10 a tree.

Last edited:

Good choice. I paid my former co-worker $3.00/lb. for a 15-lb. turkey she raised on her farm.......I know it is going to be delicious.

Since this is a thread about Thanksgiving dinner, we really should talk about side dishes also:dance:. I would be interested to hear what others are planning to have, along with their main course. This is what we are planning this year:

-garlic mashed potatoes with homemade gravy (a must-have in our house)
- traditional bread stuffing with celery, herbs, butter, etc. (my wife's favorite)
- baked blue hubbard squash, with honey and butter (my favorite. We got the squash from a friend who grows lots of winter squash in his garden).
- roasted green beans with bacon (new this year)
- corn muffins
- cooked cranberry relish (with cloves, cinnamon, a little honey, and a touch of Triplesec)
-nice bottle of white wine.......maybe a Sauvignon Blanc

- two pies for dessert........one pumpkin (gotta have it), and the other one is a combination of blackberry and raspberry that we tried last year, and everyone loved. The berries are from our berry patch in the backyard.

I am going way off my usual diet to eat a meal like this, but I have to make an exception for Thanksgiving. I have many happy memories of Thanksgiving dinners with my big extended family when I was a kid, and I want to carry on that tradition for my two young grandsons, who will be here with us for dinner along with their mom and her boyfriend. After the leftovers are all gone, I will go back to my usual diet, and all will be good (hopefully)........

So, turkey or no turkey?

We're doing duck this year. We do the traditional sides, but mix up the meat every year. Goose, venison, pulled pork, bulgogi, pizza, etc.

How about you and yours?

Sometimes I think it would be good to mix up the meat for Thanksgiving, but something keeps pulling me back to turkey.........probably because turkey was always the main course for all the Thanksgiving dinners when I was growing up, and I have such fond memories of those times. We often have meats like ham, venison, and lamb for other holiday meals throughout the year, but I have a feeling Thanksgiving is always going to be focused on the turkey for me.:blush:

After we lost our grandparents 50 years ago, we began going to my brother in law's parents' home in Franklin, Tennessee for Thanksgiving.

Oma sailed into New York Harbor Thanksgiving Day, 80 years ago on the last U.S. ship to leave Hamburg prior to WWII. To this day, she cries when she sees the Statue of Liberty. They were fed turkey upon their arrival at Ellis Island, and at the time she had never even heard of a turkey.

Oma is now 95 years old, and no longer cooking for holidays. I remember the year she got her convection stove and forgot to cut on the oven to cook the turkey. Otherwise, she always cooked for Thanksgiving German style.

My sister and brother in law will be with Oma this Thursday, however the rest of the family is on their own. This may be her last Thanksgiving, but they already have a cake coming with the Statue of Liberty on it.

My parents have been gone 10 and 12 years. It's now up to us to make our own holiday traditions, but things still just aren't the same in our retired holidays.

The family has become smaller and there is just the 2 of us at home. However, our daughter and her family (4) plus MIL are only an hour away so I am taking them all out for a Thanksgiving dinner/buffet. It is so much easier than shopping, cooking, and washing dishes. Then when dinner is over we can leave to go our own ways and do our own things.

I will also buy a turkey breast to cook along with stuffing/dressing and cranberry sauce just so I can have turkey sandwiches on multigrain bread with lots of mayo the next few days. That is my favorite part of the holiday.

Cheers!

Just took a prime rib out of the freezer for my son and I. Never been a big fan of turkey, nor the traditional sides. Same with my son. We usually do steaks or crab legs. This year I came into a nice prime rib, big enough for next-day leftovers. Mushrooms, some kind of veggie, some kind of potatoes, some kind of bread/rolls along with it.

smoked wild Nebraska turkey, corn and oysters, dressing, dinner rolls and pecan pie.

My favorite side is the sausage stuffing I make - decadent and delicious! We are also having potatoes (hash brown casserole this year), green bean casserole, rolls, and a salted caramel pecan pie. We decided to buy the pie this year, and tasted a slice from the local pie shop. It was amazing! Looking forward to the meal!

We are doing both. We are going out on Thanksgiving with some friends and then I am cooking a turkey on Sunday for just us . I love the smell of turkey cooking and the leftovers.

Precisely what we're doing!

Turkey for us. I learned how to spatchcock (aka butterfly) last year, and it was life altering. Takes less space and time in the oven, and the dark meat and white meat are done at the same time, so no stringy white meat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom