Turkey - smoke that sucker!

unclemick

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So 2006 did a deep fried turkey outside. 2007 old fashioned bake in the oven with cajun injector.

Now I have this Cajun Cooker II bought at a garage sale one street over.

What size - 8-10 lb per bird? or bigger?
Inject or not?
Mesquite or hickory chips.
Leave center open with dressing on the side?
Rubs, Baste, Loosen skin?

Gonna buy frozen tuesday and start thawing. Open to all suggestions.

heh heh heh - neighbor across back fence is doing a ham as a back up - in case?? :D. 5 people.

what is a Cajun Cooker II ? i couldn't find it on a search.

place an onion or two, a few carrots, and celery cut in really big pieces inside if you don't stuff it.
baste with beer. :D

Apparently not made anymore - the closest I found was a Brinkman 850-7000 - 1 Cook'N Ca'Jun smoker Grill using charcoal. Basically a vertical barrel shape with a charcoal pan, lower grate if grilling, a water pan, and an upper grate for smoking, with a thermometer in the dome cover.

heh heh heh - note I meant the Tuesday before Thanksgiving - plenty of time to get your best recipe in.

Where did I leave that restaurant list? Last time we ate out on turkey day, there was a group at the next table who ordered pizza, and one in our group wanted a burger. :D

place an onion or two, a few carrots, and celery cut in really big pieces inside if you don't stuff it.
baste with beer. :D
new recipe update - make that Saranac beer.

there's something fun about quoting yourself. it's kinda like talking to yourself and getting a response, only electronically. how cool is THAT! :cool:

Apparently not made anymore - the closest I found was a Brinkman 850-7000 - 1 Cook'N Ca'Jun smoker Grill using charcoal. Basically a vertical barrel shape with a charcoal pan, lower grate if grilling, a water pan, and an upper grate for smoking, with a thermometer in the dome cover.

I had a friend who tried to cook a turkey on a Weber Kettle grill once. He couldn't get the top on tight because the turkey was too big. It caught fire, and his girlfriend has a picture of him running off the deck with a broomstick stuck up the back end of a flaming turkey. They also had pizza for Thanksgiving that year. :2funny:

My buddy up the street usually has about 30 folks come through his house for holidays, so he does 3 BIG turkeys.... 1 roasted, 1 smokes, and 1 deep-fried. I go over there to help get rid of some of that food for him! ;)

He injects 2 of the birds (the roaster and the smoker) with both beer and melted butter using a syringe that he picked up in the equine department of a local farm supply store....it has a big @ss needle! :eek:

I smoked one a few years back, may do it again this year. Just do 'er low and slow. Keep the temp to about 200-225 in the smoker, plan on it taking a long time. Agree with Freebird about veggies in the cavity, but don't under any circumstances stuff a bird that you are cooking low and slow...the bacteria will have too long to multiply in the cooler stuffing, and your bird may take too long to cook. The veggies are for flavor and moisture (I only use celery and onion), and do not pack them in, just toss in a bit, chopped up. Oil the bird with olive oil and sprinkle generously with seasoned salt and maybe some pepper. I would smoke with mesquite. Hickory seems to go better with pork products. If you have some old grape vines, I have heard those are good, but have not had a chance to try it yet. Oh, I disagree with basting while smoking, unless you are basting with oil...you'll just wash off the good smoky flavor, wheras the oil will keep the flavor where it belongs. If you want to use beer, you can get a turkey cannon or a bird roasting rack that holds a can of beer and place the cavity over the beer can. Never done it but heard its good...don't drink the leftovers. IMHO smoking is the only way to cook a turkey...but I haven't tried frying yet.

R

Had 'em both ways. Like the convenience of deep fried, kinda' like bbq'ing - outside with the gang drinking beer, etc.

BUT an oven roasted turkey with all the trimmings makes the whole house smell so good! Now thats Thanksgiving! Hey, I don't care I'll be a guest anyway!

i'll be making a traditional oven turkey this year. i haven't cooked for thanksgiving in 5 years. it will be nice to get back to the tradition.
i put apples and walnuts and raisins in my stuffing, just enough to flavor it. i put a little in the bird's neck flap, but it is safer to do it separately. i use some of the drippings to flavor it while it is cooking. oh man....

I tried to smoke a turkey once, it keep falling out of the cig paper.....

My So has smoked turkeys for Christmas . They taste great but the clen up is brutal . We've also fried turkeys but roast turkey is still my favorite .

I thought the fried turkey was good, but then we were stuck with gallons of used peanut oil and nothing to use it on. Couldn't find out how to recycle it, so eventually it went out in the trash.

Never have cooked a turkey (or brisket) to completion in a smoker,
Generally 2 hours on the smoker for that smoked taste, and then finish the job in the oven at low heat.
I use water logged hickory chunks on the fire to create mucho smoke. On brisket, I occasionally use apple cider in the water pan..Pretty good.
I know some use beer in the pan, but that is unAmerican:mad:

I usual smoke one for Thanks Giving but my nephew from Gulf Shores will bring one with him. He owns a bbq restaurant and these suckers are fine. Also bringing bbq ribs and plenty of their side items. My mother's 91st b'day on Thursday so I have a caramel cake ordered. My mouth is watering as I type.:)

I love a turkey on the grill. I'm sure I would love a smoked one also. But for Turkey Day, DW says we need to have the gravy, insists on oven baked.

We've been brining the oven baked bird for a few years now. Experimenting a bit and getting the process simplified and adjusted to our liking. Brining is wonderful - even if you do get it over-cooked a bit, it is still moist, and not really too salty (we don't use much salt in our cooking). We have taken to brining a number of things - chicken breasts on the grill turn out moist, which is tough to do reliably w/o the brine.

-ERD50

I love a turkey on the grill. I'm sure I would love a smoked one also. But for Turkey Day, DW says we need to have the gravy, insists on oven baked.

We've been brining the oven baked bird for a few years now. Experimenting a bit and getting the process simplified and adjusted to our liking. Brining is wonderful - even if you do get it over-cooked a bit, it is still moist, and not really too salty (we don't use much salt in our cooking). We have taken to brining a number of things - chicken breasts on the grill turn out moist, which is tough to do reliably w/o the brine.

-ERD50

ERD - do you have a good brining method/recipe you can share? Been thinking about trying this, but had never seen it done nor heard of it before.

Oh, BTW, smoky turkey gravy is actually pretty good as long as it is not oversmoked...then it can be nasty.

R

ERD - do you have a good brining method/recipe you can share? Been thinking about trying this, but had never seen it done nor heard of it before.

Oh, BTW, smoky turkey gravy is actually pretty good as long as it is not oversmoked...then it can be nasty.

R

Here is what we have been doing, refining the technique over the past 5 years. This is a combination of the Alton Brown and Cooks Illustrated processes. Alton called for vegetable broth for the brine, which is big bucks for gallons of stuff you throw out. I wasn't convinced it made any difference, but we stuck with the spice/sugar combo and plain water and Kosher Salt. They say you can cut the salt in half and brine overnight, 10-12 hours - but since we put the bird in the oven @ 1PM, this would mean brining at 1AM the night before - rather do it in the AM.

25# bird, so 4 gallons to assure we can cover, I use a big garbage bag and set in a cooler lined with some blue ice things or frozen water bottles to take up space so the bird is covered.

5 C Kosher Salt
2 TB Peppercorns
1 TB Allspice berries
1 TB Candied Ginger
1C Brown Sugar

The night before, bring salt and spice to boil in 1 gallon water. Let cool overnight.
Add 3 Gallons iced water to turkey in double bags (13G) in cooler. Turn after 3 hours.< don't ask how much of that is ice, they didn't say, and I just do a 'good amount' - probably 3-4 trays worth? >

After brine; rinse the turkey in and out and pat dry.

4 TB butter on bird
1 cup onion, celery, carrot, some thyme in pan w 1C water; bring to boil, drain, add to Bird

425F first hour; 325F 2 hours, breast up;

Foil over breast when turned down to 325. Take foil off when meat hits 145F

165F breast; 170 thigh - rest 40 minutes.

Took about 3.5 hours to reach temperature, then 40 minute rest. That thing is still too hot to handle after 40 min!

It always comes out very moist, there is some salt in the meat, but I don't find it to be too salty at all, and I am not a big salt user - can't stand most processed foods, even the 50% less salt stuff is pushing it for me.

Here was last year's rough target schedule:

Guest to arrive 3:30; DW wants to serve 4:30 - 5:00, so turkey out at 4:00 - 4:30; Plan to get Turkey in @ 1:00.

Need to get Turkey out of Brine @ ~ 12:30; half hour to rinse, pat dry and butter. 4.5 Hour Brine, so IN Brine @ 8AM

-ERD50

R

We don't have a 'proper' smoker, and it seems like ash gets in the pan on the grill - DW just doesn't like the idea of charcoal ash in the gravy. Heck, I'll try just about anything once ;)

-ERD50

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom