Join Early Retirement Today

Turn off HGTV - your house is probably fine
Old 03-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

As I approach my ER (19 days!), I have had a lot of conversations with co-workers about how DH and I arrived at this place. We've had a lot of conversations about choices and what you need to enjoy life - and not what outside input is telling you about your needs.

https://www.curbed.com/2018/3/7/1708...on-hell-wagner
2lhasas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I rather like this quote:
"Consciously or subconsciously, our constant remodeling is an effort to make ourselves more acceptable to others, something we should do as “good” homeowners. Like the beauty industry, the home-improvement industry plays on... insecurity—the fear that we are unattractive or inadequate. But the truth is, “other people” don’t have to live in your house, and when they come to visit, they’re there to see you, not your succulents and marble-and-brass side table..." [Still, we know full well they are tearing your house apart as they pull out of your driveway].
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Nothing wrong at all with a little remodeling. We've done it every 25 or 30 years even when the house really didn't need it.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My house is so out-of-date. I don't have open concept, big clocks on the walls or a vase full of limes on my kitchen counter.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:33 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I don't know anyone that regularly updates their homes. Most people that i know will update when the ugly factor is bothering them and do it once. When I choose things for my home I pick items that I love and will not get tired off. For instance we have granite countertops and there is no reason I would ever need to replace them. I do like to watch some of the home transformations. Although, the last time they decorated for the couple and I was thinking they had way too many nik-naks and had made the house look cluttered.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, we updated our bathrooms after about 20 years, and our kitchen after 25 - but we plan to sell this house within a few years. But I figure we're done updating...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think there is a difference between remodeling and redecorating. Remodeling means lots of tools, work, time, and money. Redecorating can be done relatively inexpensively with some fresh paint and accessories. I’ve been busy updating/ redecorating in preparation for DD’s wedding. I’m almost finished and have done five rooms in a couple of months for a couple of thousand dollars. It helps that I can paint and sew.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:51 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Phil: yes there is a big difference between the 2. We have owned some old houses that were in terrible shape so we remodeled before we ever moved in. Paint only lasts so long and then needs to be redone. We bought our 1950's ranch 6 years ago and it was a foreclosure that had been empty for 2 years. It had mold and in some places you would fall through the rotten floor, etc. We moved walls, gutted the bathrooms and kitchen, redid the hardwood floors, re did electrical stuff. It was a dump and now is quite nice. However, we will never need to do the big things again but will eventually have to paint again. Changing curtains can also change the way your house feels.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:57 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The HGTV-loving crowd probably doesn't know what a sewing machine looks like

We're having to hire out the painting of most of our first floor (for the first time since 1990...even the drywall tape is getting shabby), since I'm really not happy painting tall walls. But I painted the entire finished basement and all the upstairs rooms.

Our "remodeling," such as it's been, has been almost entirely to replace failing fixtures and flooring. Nothing has really been changed about the original house, except to finish off most of the basement. Even this minimal "remodeling" has been quite costly. Those who require continual updates/upgrades, to a house they are living in and not trying to sell, are certainly not doing their retirement plans any good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Redecorating can be done relatively inexpensively with some fresh paint and accessories. ... It helps that I can paint and sew.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:58 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like you are DIYers - a breed I admire but do not dare to emulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Phil: yes there is a big difference between the 2. We have owned some old houses that were in terrible shape so we remodeled before we ever moved in. Paint only lasts so long and then needs to be redone. We bought our 1950's ranch 6 years ago and it was a foreclosure that had been empty for 2 years. It had mold and in some places you would fall through the rotten floor, etc. We moved walls, gutted the bathrooms and kitchen, redid the hardwood floors, re did electrical stuff. It was a dump and now is quite nice. However, we will never need to do the big things again but will eventually have to paint again. Changing curtains can also change the way your house feels.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:01 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Luckily my DH is really handy so he had just retired and did all the work himself with a helper that I hired. It took 4 months of f.t. work for the 2 of them. I agree that if people are constantly wanting the latest remodeling for their home it could be a big problem. Most people we know though usually buy a new home versus remodeling the old one and that has been to their determent.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:37 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The HGTV-loving crowd probably doesn't know what a sewing machine looks like

We're having to hire out the painting of most of our first floor (for the first time since 1990...even the drywall tape is getting shabby), since I'm really not happy painting tall walls. But I painted the entire finished basement and all the upstairs rooms.
Probably wise. We have a friend who decided to DIY his 2 story living room and fell. He had terrible injuries and has never really fully recovered.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:42 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't get me wrong - if something in your house just doesn't work, or makes you miserable every day, it's worth doing the work. You're going to spend a lot of time there. That said, I think a lot of people feel as if they have to have certain things because everywhere you look someone is telling you it's necessary. We redid the kitchen in our 1960's ranch house, and the added functionality was completely worth it. It's nice, but it's not Subzero, custom cabinet nice.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:26 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I never stop building for one reason or another. Grandchild overflowed a toilet yesterday with excessive toilet paper and water was gushing thru my man cave ceiling.

I can patch the ceiling. But painting a 26' by 47' ceiling that is 10' tall will be a tough job.

Our church has a ER construction crew with an architect, electrical engineer, union electricians and plenty of skilled slave labor. Most years, we will build a house and give it away. Giving of ourselves keeps us busy.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lhasas View Post
Don't get me wrong - if something in your house just doesn't work, or makes you miserable every day, it's worth doing the work. You're going to spend a lot of time there. . We redid the kitchen in our 1960's ranch house, and the added functionality was completely worth it. It's nice, but it's not Subzero, custom cabinet nice.
We bought a very nice manufactured home. The appliances were low end, the counters were tile, which DW hated, and the cabinets were so so.
Since we spend a lot of time in the kitchen or eating at the breakfast bar, we updated.
New higher end appliances (not Subzero), granite counter tops, and refaced cabinets with new drawers. We are very happy with the results.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:06 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

From the link: .... “other people” don’t have to live in your house, and when they come to visit, they’re there to see you, not your succulents and marble-and-brass side table..." [Still, we know full well they are tearing your house apart as they pull out of your driveway].

Down with critical, shallow behavior.
Blow dough on your home IF it pleases you and you have the means.
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:35 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

We remodeled our bathroom, but it was not in the best shape... when it was torn out we found out it was worse than we had thought.... leaks had rotted the wood in the walls... so one way or another we were going to be dishing out some money... might as well change it to what you want...

BUT, this is one of the reasons I have not had my windows replaced (except for 2 where there was more rotten wood).... they are good enough for me and my utility bills are not that bad... I did have all of them re-caulked as I know one was leaking...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:37 AM   #18

We remodeled the kithchen 6 years ago, and the master bathroom 3 years ago to increase the size from 4X8 to 8X8 and have a double vanity. All mostly to make DW happy, not impress anyone else. Family room is next.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:52 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Old houses are like painting the Golden Gate Bridge; you're never done. We no sooner finish one room and then another needs something (an update, water damage, better lighting, worn carpeting, new windows, faded wallpaper, floors re-sanded).

In the middle of a kitchen update now...last one was 30 years ago. Next year, our 31 year old bath will need to be done. The following year, our 32 year old office area....
Old 03-12-2018, 06:08 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I remodeled a bathroom and replaced our fireplace with an entertainment center last year. Also recarpeted the family room and repainted 2 bedrooms and made a barn door. This was at the 23 year mark. I’m building a new bedroom set in the spring. Then install about 1000sf of hardwood floors, replace kitchen appliances necessary and countertops. And a new roof, but I’ll hire that done. Then hopefully we’ll sell it - too much maintenance.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote