Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-06-2013, 12:50 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
you wonder what kind of nuts are out here...
1. Why did they even bother to pass me when their drive way was right there anyway?
We're still wondering (for decades now) why people cutting you off -- by pulling out in front of you from a sidestreet when no-one is behind you -- inevitably aren't going very far and turn off just in front of you -- usually without signalling....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Try driving on the Beltway around DC, or most other major cities.
You're exactly right. That was part of the fun of being a cop in the DC area. When people were jerks you could actually do something about it.

"Press firmly when signing, sir (asshat), you're making five copies."

Old 06-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Try driving on the Beltway around DC, or most other major cities. Using a turn signal just alerts other drivers about your intentions, and they speed up to block you off. I always make sure to use my signal, but not until I'm already commited and they don't have time to react. It's more a victory signal than a signal of intention.

Of course, in kinder and gentler traffic I use my turn signals more politely.
I do the same thing in the same places for the same reason.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Try driving on the Beltway around DC, or most other major cities. Using a turn signal just alerts other drivers about your intentions, and they speed up to block you off. I always make sure to use my signal, but not until I'm already commited and they don't have time to react. It's more a victory signal than a signal of intention.

Of course, in kinder and gentler traffic I use my turn signals more politely.
I have found this more and more over the years. That being said, I have done it myself a few times on an expressway when the signalling vehicle is some large vehicle I cannot see passed. I don't want to lose the nice, long view I have ahead of me so I will speed up and not let him in. BTW my vehicle is a nice, small car which does not block another vehicle's view.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I think much of the use of turn signals ended with the use of cell phones. I have always wondered why they don't engineer cars so the signal goes on automatically when the steering wheel is turned x number of degrees. They have designed it to automatically shut off the signal, so why not to turn it on also. Might not work for lane changes on freeways but would for residential driving where it is needed.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
I think much of the use of turn signals ended with the use of cell phones. I have always wondered why they don't engineer cars so the signal goes on automatically when the steering wheel is turned x number of degrees. They have designed it to automatically shut off the signal, so why not to turn it on also. Might not work for lane changes on freeways but would for residential driving where it is needed.
The point of the turn signal IMHO is to warn other drivers about your intent to begin a turn or lane change a few seconds later. This means your car should be heading straight ahead. If you are turning, you will probably be hitting the brake to slow down so the turn signal acts as a "pre-brake" to warn the car behind you that you will be slowing down very soon.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
Like someone already posted, signalling as you are making the turn is useless. Incorporating this as a feature would just mean that some people who correctly use turn signals now would stop and let the car do it too late to be of use.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

In my younger days as a contract engineer I moved from nuclear plant to nuclear plant, living in each location from several months to a year. Without fail within the first week at a new office somebody would advise me, "be careful - people don't use their turn signals around here!"
Old 06-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #29

I was just wondering how many people on this forum remember the days before turn signals? I remember my first car while in college was a 1949 Ford, wrecked it and then had a 1951 Ford. This was in about 1956 so no body get the idea I was driving new cars while in college. Neither of these cars had turn signals. Back then everyone was still using the hand signals.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I could put the laser death ray to good use, chopping off the fronts of cars hanging out into the middle of the road. Whether they are ostensibly stopped at a stopsign that traffic on the intersecting street does not have, or whether they are coming out of a driveway, they'd better watch it! If those with the right of way have to slow down because they are half blocked, zap!! Off with their fenders or even front wheels or more.

Zing, zing, zing goes my laser death ray as I blithely motor down the road, leaving mutilated cars behind me in pieces as I go.
This sounds fun. I could see myself merrily zapping away too.
Die you dirty scoundrel! Die!! Zap!

Once more into the fray I go! Zing!

Piss ME off and pay the consequences! Zap! Zap!

From hells heart I stab at thee! ZAAAP!

Then someone would come along with their new Ford Deathstar and annihilate my entire home. No more fun.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
You're exactly right. That was part of the fun of being a cop in the DC area. When people were jerks you could actually do something about it.

"Press firmly when signing, sir (asshat), you're making five copies."
That doesn't happen very often, and cops are often the worst offenders. I don't think I've ever seen a cop car use a turn signal when changing lanes.

My ex-Deputy Sheriff buddy always said the only traffic law that was needed wasn't on the books - DWS (Driving While Stupid).
Old 06-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #32

I think I've always been pretty attentive to turn signals, but since DD (cycling) was recently involved in a serious accident with a car that didn't signal, I'm even more OCD about it. Fortunately, she is fine other than her bank account (still working through the insurance details at this point, but she has a high deductible individual policy)

Please folks, use those signals, early and often!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That doesn't happen very often, and cops are often the worst offenders. I don't think I've ever seen a cop car use a turn signal when changing lanes.

My ex-Deputy Sheriff buddy always said the only traffic law that was needed wasn't on the books - DWS (Driving While Stupid).
The other flashing lights on police cars obscure their turn signals.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #34

I was travelling on 114 in Irving, TX the other day and this car comes up from behind me, he's in the passing lane and I'm in the right lane doing the speed limit, and he starts to drift over into my lane and almost smacked me. I layed on the horn when I saw him enter my lane. The only signal I got was him flipping me the bird for blowing my horn at him. So glad I'm no longer subjected to a long daily work commute.